Old 18-10-2007, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID help please

Hi

This is a long shot as I can't post a photo right now. Also, I don't
know much about this as the owner ( who also dosn't know what it is )
gave a cutting to a friend of mine, who didn't wish to root it and
didn't ask any questions, it was in his pocket for two days before
giving it me me and it still seems to have routed, so it has my
interest now !!

Semi woody stems a bit similar to Fuschia material, probably evergreen
in mild temps, very small shrub ( so I am told ), dark green leaves
which are similar in shape to Rosemary leaves but much smaller
( approx 1cm long ), leaves all down and close to the stem. Flowers
are light purple and similar shape and size to the leaves.

Any thoughts ???

Many thanks
Steve
UK

Old 18-10-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Oct, 13:13, stevej wrote:
Semi woody stems a bit similar to Fuschia material, probably evergreen
in mild temps, very small shrub ( so I am told ), dark green leaves
which are similar in shape to Rosemary leaves but much smaller
( approx 1cm long ), leaves all down and close to the stem. Flowers
are light purple and similar shape and size to the leaves.

I went through the hebes ... then the salix ... most of the herbs I
know ... It's the 'small shrub' that throws me. Can 't you get a
picture at all?! Also, if there was a scent you would have told us,
wouldn't you.

Old 18-10-2007, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Oct, 13:46, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Ozothamnus rosemanifolius ?

Ah! That's why I asked about the scent. And is it not rosemarinifolius
you're thinking of?

Old 18-10-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/07 13:13, in article
, "stevej"
wrote:

Hi

This is a long shot as I can't post a photo right now. Also, I don't
know much about this as the owner ( who also dosn't know what it is )
gave a cutting to a friend of mine, who didn't wish to root it and
didn't ask any questions, it was in his pocket for two days before
giving it me me and it still seems to have routed, so it has my
interest now !!

Semi woody stems a bit similar to Fuschia material, probably evergreen
in mild temps, very small shrub ( so I am told ), dark green leaves
which are similar in shape to Rosemary leaves but much smaller
( approx 1cm long ), leaves all down and close to the stem. Flowers
are light purple and similar shape and size to the leaves.

Any thoughts ???

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans. IME, it doesnąt make a small shrub though, but that could be
affected by location and conditions. Or of course, your disinterested
friend might have been looking at a youngster without realising it!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-10-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Oct, 15:10, Sacha wrote:
On 18/10/07 13:13, in article
om, "stevej"

wrote:
[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

Hi Helene, Charlie and Sacha

Yes, no scent I should have said, first thing I did was smell it. I
think you might be correct Charlie, here is google image which is
similar.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_...1461/046_2.jpg

Sacha, your thought is also similar, but I am trying to compare a 2
inch cutting with a full plant.

BTW - my disinterested friend ( although he didn't know this plant )
has been a professional gardener for most of his life and did a spell
as head groundsman at a top football club, perhaps he was having a bad
day !! ;-)

Thanks again for your interest, I will check up in detail tonight,
that's after I bring in my Dahlia's! - first frost last night in N
England.

Regards
Steve

Old 18-10-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/07 16:56, in article
, "stevej"
wrote:

On 18 Oct, 15:10, Sacha wrote:
On 18/10/07 13:13, in article
om, "stevej"

wrote:
Hi

This is a long shot as I can't post a photo right now. Also, I don't
know much about this as the owner ( who also dosn't know what it is )
gave a cutting to a friend of mine, who didn't wish to root it and
didn't ask any questions, it was in his pocket for two days before
giving it me me and it still seems to have routed, so it has my
interest now !!

Semi woody stems a bit similar to Fuschia material, probably evergreen
in mild temps, very small shrub ( so I am told ), dark green leaves
which are similar in shape to Rosemary leaves but much smaller
( approx 1cm long ), leaves all down and close to the stem. Flowers
are light purple and similar shape and size to the leaves.

Any thoughts ???

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans. IME, it doesn?t make a small shrub though, but that could be
affected by location and conditions. Or of course, your disinterested
friend might have been looking at a youngster without realising it!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Hi Helene, Charlie and Sacha

Yes, no scent I should have said, first thing I did was smell it. I
think you might be correct Charlie, here is google image which is
similar.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_...1461/046_2.jpg

Now, I'm confused - easily done. To me, those flowers look pale yellow and
the leaves more than 1cm in length. A photo of the original shrub would be
really interesting.

Sacha, your thought is also similar, but I am trying to compare a 2
inch cutting with a full plant.

I know. It's extremely difficult, just as it is in the reverse. In my
early gardening days I saw a rubber plant at full height in Majorca and
simply didn't associate it with the houseplant I was used to in UK.

BTW - my disinterested friend ( although he didn't know this plant )
has been a professional gardener for most of his life and did a spell
as head groundsman at a top football club, perhaps he was having a bad
day !! ;-)

Or if it's not grass it doesn't engage his attention! ;-)) Not to be
dismissive of his experience but Teucrium isn't seen all that widely. It's
not rare, by any means but nor is it that common, either.

Thanks again for your interest, I will check up in detail tonight,
that's after I bring in my Dahlia's! - first frost last night in N
England.

Down to about 6C here - quite cold enough for me, anyway!

Old 18-10-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans.

I would have said shrubby germander, that looks very similar leaf wise
and it does flower for ages .
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-10-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans.

I would have said shrubby germander, that looks very similar leaf wise
and it does flower for ages .

But from your photo it looks nothing like that so sorry for a wrong
suggestion!
Old 19-10-2007, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/07 21:30, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans.

I would have said shrubby germander, that looks very similar leaf wise
and it does flower for ages .

But from your photo it looks nothing like that so sorry for a wrong
suggestion!

? I didn't post a photo, Janet. Sorry if I've misled you. I just suggested
the OP looked a pics of Teucrium fruticans.

Old 19-10-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Oct, 00:16, Sacha wrote:
On 18/10/07 21:30, in article , "Janet

Tweedy" wrote:
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

I don't think it's right but it might be worth Google imaging on Teucrium
fruticans.
I would have said shrubby germander, that looks very similar leaf wise
and it does flower for ages .

But from your photo it looks nothing like that so sorry for a wrong
suggestion!

? I didn't post a photo, Janet. Sorry if I've misled you. I just suggested
the OP looked a pics of Teucrium fruticans.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Hi All

Having looked at pictures of all the suggestions, respectfully, I now
don't know if any are correct.

Germander has too few leaves and the flower shape is wrong
Ozothamnus has flowers at end of the stem, the mystery plant has them
on the stem
Teucrium's leaves are too light, should be dark green, though the
flower shape and position are close.

I will try to post a photo in a new thread, if I can find some
webspace.

Thanks
Steve