Old 27-10-2007, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default christmas tomatoes

is having Christmas toms as simple as planting some later than the others,
sowing seeds in relays, would that work? goes off thinking and
muttering -----

kate

Old 27-10-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
is having Christmas toms as simple as planting some later than the others,
sowing seeds in relays, would that work? goes off thinking and
muttering -----

Keeping them frost free is going to be vital. Also light ie daylight length
is going to be a problem. And what part of the country are you talking
about?

Steve

Old 27-10-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you both for your comments and interest, I am in Gloucestershire near
the Welsh border a couple of fields away from the River Severn and all
things are very damp today.

kate...

is having Christmas toms as simple as planting some later than the
others,
sowing seeds in relays, would that work? goes off thinking and
muttering -----

kate

If I don't pull them up ours are always still there at Christmas in a
small unheated greenhouse, but the reason we give up before that is that
once the short dull days start, you get a lot of Botrytus and the taste
starts to alter and they are not as good toeat raw
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-10-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI All

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:57:46 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Thank you both for your comments and interest, I am in Gloucestershire near
the Welsh border a couple of fields away from the River Severn and all
things are very damp today.

kate...

is having Christmas toms as simple as planting some later than the
others,
sowing seeds in relays, would that work? goes off thinking and
muttering -----

kate

If I don't pull them up ours are always still there at Christmas in a
small unheated greenhouse, but the reason we give up before that is that
once the short dull days start, you get a lot of Botrytus and the taste
starts to alter and they are not as good toeat raw
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Some interesting answers.
We've just had a very busy summer harvesting tomatoes from our new
polytunnel g - and wondered about extending the tomato season.

A few months ago I potted up some spare sideshoots from the Yellow
Pear toms - and they've been in the 'sunroom' for the last month or
so. Seem to be growing fairly happily, and I helped a bit with the
pollination the other day - remains to be seen if any actual tomatoes
result from this...

We don't get much in the way of frosts out here (close to the coast in
the far South-West of Ireland) - but, if last winter's anything to go
by, there's not all that much sunshine either...

The remaining toms in the polytunnel are still growing - but recently
we've noticed that unripe fruit are dropping off the plants - not sure
why that should be....

I'm sure that 'growlights' would help - but then you'd end up with
some very expensive tomatoes g

Adrian
West Cork, Ireland

Old 29-10-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
is having Christmas toms as simple as planting some later than the others,
sowing seeds in relays, would that work? goes off thinking and
muttering -----

kate

We always eat our last tomatoes on Christmas Eve.

At this time of year I pick all the green ones, on their vines, to avoid
cold damage (we're in Yorkshire) and put them in a basket in the kitchen.
Every few days I pick them over and remove the ripened ones.

For the last twenty years the last have ripened for our Christmas Eve meal,
to accompany the stand pie one of us has made.

Mary

Tomatoes - Tomatoes 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:12 PM
Tomatoes - Tomatoes 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:12 PM
Christmas tips Cliff United Kingdom 9 30-11-2003 11:43 AM
What's up with my tomatoes - cherry tomatoes? TLR Texas 0 09-08-2003 08:42 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Allegra Roses 0 23-01-2003 08:22 AM