Old 30-10-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID please?

We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went in to
ask about them.

The florist had no idea what they were but that he'd sold a lot. A customer
said she didn't know what it was but that it grew on her rockery, in
Lampeter, and spread.

I bought one for the novelty - and to use for ground cover I hope.

Someone here will know what it is - I hope.

It looks like orange dress pins stuck into tiny cress! This picture is poor
and I forgot to use something for scale. the whole of the plant is not more
than 4" across.

Mary

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Old 30-10-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
says...
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went in to
ask about them.

The florist had no idea what they were but that he'd sold a lot. A customer
said she didn't know what it was but that it grew on her rockery, in
Lampeter, and spread.

I bought one for the novelty - and to use for ground cover I hope.

Someone here will know what it is - I hope.

It looks like orange dress pins stuck into tiny cress! This picture is poor
and I forgot to use something for scale. the whole of the plant is not more
than 4" across.

Mary

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

I don't know what you got up to in Wales, but following your link the
only picture to pop up was of a naked man balancing a towel on his
w***y!

--
David in Normandy
Old 30-10-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went in to
ask about them.

The florist had no idea what they were but that he'd sold a lot. A customer
said she didn't know what it was but that it grew on her rockery, in
Lampeter, and spread.

I bought one for the novelty - and to use for ground cover I hope.

Someone here will know what it is - I hope.

It looks like orange dress pins stuck into tiny cress! This picture is poor
and I forgot to use something for scale. the whole of the plant is not more
than 4" across.

Mary

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Orange Top

Small but perfectly formed, Nertera granadensis (Bead plant) is a
vibrant and fascinating addition to any room. Orange is the colour of
creativity and optimism, always popular in eras of change, like the
60s. Originating from South America, bead plants have creeping stems
and tiny green leaves which cover the whole surface of a pot, crowned
with fleshy coral coloured berries after flowering. The bead plant
should ideally not be watered from above, but take up water from
below. Nowadays you can get bead plants in yellow, white and cream as
well, and even combinations in the same pot.

Click here for Nertera plant facts

Requires a light well-drained soil in semi-shade and shelter from cold
winds[200]. Plants are intolerant of excessive winter wet[200]. A
prostrate mat-forming plant that forms roots at the nodes of stems, it
grows well in a rock garden in areas where frosts are light and short-
lived[200]. It is almost hardy in Britain, merely covering it with a
pane of glass in the winter is usually ample protection[1]. A very
ornamental plant.

I would have thought Lampeter would be much to wet for it to do well

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 30-10-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:31:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Mary

Who's that guy covering his willy?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

DG

Old 30-10-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om, Dave
Hill says...
[...]

I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again and
it is definitely a naked man.
--
David in Normandy

Old 30-10-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article om, Dave
| Hill says...
| On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
| We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a tray
| of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went in to
| ask about them.
|
| http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1
|
| Small but perfectly formed, ...
|
| I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again and
| it is definitely a naked man.

I like the juxtaposition!

My browser (Firepox) shows both. The main picture is the plant being
asked about, but the 'list' of pictures at the top shows the naked
man.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-10-2007, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:48:10 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On 30 Oct 2007 21:46:06 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article om, Dave
Hill says...
On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a
tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went
in to
ask about them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Small but perfectly formed, ...

I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again and
it is definitely a naked man.

I like the juxtaposition!

My browser (Firepox) shows both. The main picture is the plant being
asked about, but the 'list' of pictures at the top shows the naked
man.

The naked man is the "next" photo.

I must be getting old - I never even noticed the naked mang.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 30-10-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:32:32 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:28:11 +0000, Sally Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:48:10 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On 30 Oct 2007 21:46:06 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article om, Dave
Hill says...
On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw
tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went
in to
ask about them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Small but perfectly formed, ...

I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again
and
it is definitely a naked man.

I like the juxtaposition!

My browser (Firepox) shows both. The main picture is the plant being
asked about, but the 'list' of pictures at the top shows the naked
man.

The naked man is the "next" photo.

I must be getting old - I never even noticed the naked mang.

Nor me until somebody mentioned him.

Don't look at the ones after him.

Thanks for the warning, I won't. I prefer Photobucket for pictures, then you
know what you are going to see.

Old 30-10-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 30, 9:29 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article om, Dave
Hill says...

[...]

David in Normandy- Hide quoted text -

David, I have just took a look and I would have to agree with you
Grin

Judith

Old 30-10-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/07 22:28, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:48:10 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On 30 Oct 2007 21:46:06 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article om, Dave
Hill says...
On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a
tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went
in to
ask about them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Small but perfectly formed, ...

I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again and
it is definitely a naked man.

I like the juxtaposition!

My browser (Firepox) shows both. The main picture is the plant being
asked about, but the 'list' of pictures at the top shows the naked
man.

The naked man is the "next" photo.

I must be getting old - I never even noticed the naked mang.

There wasn't a lot to notice. ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-10-2007, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So in summary... this is something to decorate the inside of your house? The
plant I mean.

Old 31-10-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
says...
[...]

LOL! You didn't wait long enough. for some reason Tinypic seems to have
slowed :-(

Mary

--
David in Normandy

Old 31-10-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:48:10 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On 30 Oct 2007 21:46:06 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article om, Dave
Hill says...
On 30 Oct, 20:31, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw
tray
of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I
went
in to
ask about them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Small but perfectly formed, ...

I disagree with the identification. I've just clicked the link again
and
it is definitely a naked man.

I like the juxtaposition!

My browser (Firepox) shows both. The main picture is the plant being
asked about, but the 'list' of pictures at the top shows the naked
man.

The naked man is the "next" photo.

I must be getting old - I never even noticed the naked mang.

You have to look hard! I'm not interested in other naked men so don't bother
:-)

Mary

Old 31-10-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default David Hill was ID please?

David, I didn't see your post for some reason - you're not in my killfile.

[...]

I really appreciate this information but I looked at other sites there seems
to be disagreement about its hardiness.

I'd like to plant it outside in a well-drained place but couldn't protect it
during (rare) frost spells.

Could I divide it so that I can try some in that place, some indoors and
some in a position where I can cover it with glass when necessary?

Lampeter IS wet (almost all of Wales is wet - but very fertile!). The woman
who said she grew it said it was in a rockery which, presumably, is well
drained.

We're quite excited about this find and don't want to lose it :-)

Thanks again,

Mary

Old 31-10-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
We're back from Wales and while passing a florists in Lampeter I saw a
tray of these for sale. Having never seen anything like them before I went
in to ask about them.

The florist had no idea what they were but that he'd sold a lot. A
customer said she didn't know what it was but that it grew on her rockery,
in Lampeter, and spread.

I bought one for the novelty - and to use for ground cover I hope.

Someone here will know what it is - I hope.

It looks like orange dress pins stuck into tiny cress! This picture is
poor and I forgot to use something for scale. the whole of the plant is
not more than 4" across.

Mary
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ga0ok3&s=1

Its sold in Holland as a houseplant..............Especially around now for
Halloween!
Not sure how hardy it is outside:

http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/pla...ranadensis.htm

toptropicals.com/.../uid/Nertera_granadensis.htm

davesgarden.com/.../none/none/cultivar/0/

Jenny