Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aloe again

Hi everyone, thanks to all who replied to my last message re Aloe Vera help.
Someone (sorry deleted the post) sent me pictures of some succulents, I
managed to kill that sort off years ago. The plant I call Aloe, has long
pointed leaves, variegated in light and dark green. It has slightly 'sawed'
edges and grows from a central point. Every year a new tiny plant appears
from the soil, but it is not connected to the large plant in any way. I have
searched to find out what the perishing thing is, without success, so I'm
back to ask the experts. How can I grow more from this plant please? I want
to sell them for a charity. TIA. Regards

Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Nov, 12:13, "Denise or Mick"
wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks to all who replied to my last message re Aloe Vera help.
Someone (sorry deleted the post) sent me pictures of some succulents, I
managed to kill that sort off years ago. The plant I call Aloe, has long
pointed leaves, variegated in light and dark green. It has slightly 'sawed'
edges and grows from a central point. Every year a new tiny plant appears
from the soil, but it is not connected to the large plant in any way. I have
searched to find out what the perishing thing is, without success, so I'm
back to ask the experts. How can I grow more from this plant please? I want
to sell them for a charity. TIA. Regards

I have this plant too. Fits your description perfectly.
Interestingly the book description I have for Aloe Vera does not
mention any variegation. The description fits one called A. Saponaria
better.

Propagation is by suckering so that you are limited to the plant's
rate of plantlet reproduction. I should think that giving it lots of
food and water would encourage more suckering growth !

We grow it on the kitchen window cill as the leaves are great for
burns. Just break of a little piece and rub the juicy flesh on the
affected part and it rally does help the skin repair itself quickly.
I also find that it is very effective in dealing with nettle stings
which cause my skin considerable and on-going irritation.

Rob

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/11/07 10:01, in article
, "Rob G"
wrote:

On 7 Nov, 12:13, "Denise or Mick"
[...]