Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-11-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimmer for grass

On Nov 14, 2:54 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string with
| heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a beast. I'm
| surprised it's still going, it has had some seriously hard treatment. I took
| a buddleia down with it, in pieces so I could get at the root, plus a load
| of nasty nettles and dock and stuff.

Thanks. Actually, nettles etc. are EASIER than pasture-style grass
for strimmers, which is one reason I am not sure what to get.

| I also have a petrol (two-stroke) one which is good if you're away from the
| mains, but it's a cow to start, smelly and downright dangerous IMHO.

That's why I don't want one. My total area is c. 1000 square yards,
and I have ensured power at all necessary points; the hassle of petrol
just isn't worth it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreement (about hassle of starting/petrol.)
renting the sheep, they recently passed a law here permitting
residential ownership of goats for the purposes of trimming lawns and
controlling undergrowth. (Incl Blackberry bushes which grow here up to
5 meters high, with inch long stickers).

Several local towns that I know of have taken to renting herds of
goats (at outrageous prices!) to control growth along highways, around
municipal buildings, nearly everywhere they used to maintain huge
tractors and gang-mowers for.

Now if we could just find an animal to eat it's way through the 30
foot deep snow clogging our mountain passes every winter...

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Grass strimmer Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 22-05-2008 02:24 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM