Old 29-11-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default moles

"clot" wrote in message
Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about
10 days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in
lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but
hills all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello
from a visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a
trap in a tunnel and take it far away?

Try these techniques it might amuse the neighbours!

http://www.dtep.com/mole-in-the-hole.htm

A further Google might bring up the original?

Was on youtube awhile back.

Old 29-11-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y, uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Nov, 22:51, Sacha wrote:
On 26/11/07 19:13, in article ,

Might be worth a look:http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techni...en_control_owe...

Note though that that bloke is selling stuff, and he's not going to
admit that any of the things he sells don't work. He's wrong about
sonic devices (which don't work) , but right about mothballs (which
don't work either - expect a new molehill the next day, with a
mothball on top of it ;-)

Regards
Richard
Old 29-11-2007, 10:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y, uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Nov, 16:34, Si $3o&m wrote:

Thank-you to everyone who has contributed to this intense course in
human-mole relations. I've taken your advice and chosen not to waste
cash on sonic spikes. So far, taking the cheapest route, I've used the
excess of soiled clay-based cat litter our cat provides to pour into and
on top of the hills. So far, after 2 days, no further hills have
appeared but that's probably too soon to tell if it'll be effective.

Won't work. The hills are just where they've pushed to spoil from
their tunnels. Operating on the same theory I shoved a headless rat
left by one of the cats down one of the mole hill holes. Having read
up a bit more since on the eating habits of dear talpa, I think I was
just giving him a meal. That's dear departed talpa, because a barrel
trap got him, straight out of the box.

With apologies for intorducing headless rats into the conversation.

Regards
Richard

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM