Old 26-11-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default moles

[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

--
Si
Old 26-11-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , $3o&m
says...
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

I have to say I had always wondered what the fuss was about (not having
moles here!) but have recently visited a cousin up near Cambridge who has
moles, heaps are no problem, but walking across her grass was like
walking on a water bed it was so undermined.
What ever you chose to do just bear in mind that as soon as one mole
moves out another will soon occupy the vacant territory, so a sonic
deterant may be worth a go, mixed views on here, from wonderfull, to,
does nothing at all.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-11-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

Hope for a really hard winter.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

If you want to get rid of the mole read this before you do anything...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It's written by DEFRA the government agengy. We had mole problems for years
and I wasted a lot of money on ultrasonic and other devices that simply
don't work. Then I googled for advice and found this report and other web
sites that say the same thing. Basically the only solution is trapping or
poisioning and if I remember correctly there is no currently licenced poison
for moles in the UK.

I've tried two traps...

sissor traps
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/88/b0/c21a_1.JPG
and barrel traps.
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/c4/8d/b209_1.JPG

I've never caught a mole with the sissor traps but the barrel traps have
been remarkably effective and have eliminated the 7 moles from our garden
and padock (sorry mr Mole but you cause too much damage). Both types are
made from wire and metal and may need adjusting/bending to adjust the
sensitivity/shape There is also a knack to setting them and getting them in
the ground without getting your fingers trapped. The main advantage of the
barrel trap is it has a metal plate that stops dirt falling into their
tunnel when you cover it over.

I got five traps from ebay for a few pounds each . I probably wasted £100 on
ultrasonics and batteries that don't work before I gave up on those. The
DEFRA report make clear why they don't work.

Good luck

Old 26-11-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

Hope for a really hard winter.

Brilliant idea. Another way would be to get one of the celeb chefs to come
up with a really good mole recipe.

Old 26-11-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

--
Si

Large wooden Mallet and a deck chair, sit at night in said chair and wait
for heap to start to appear then belt with mallet.

We tried the sonic device with no luck, luckily they/it seems to have moved
on this year.

Old 26-11-2007, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Si says...
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

I've tried virtually all the remedies for getting rid of
moles from traps to poison to gassing to petrol down the
holes etc etc. Frankly the best you can hope for is the
particular mole will move on or die. However, if you are
surrounded by fields as we are, then more moles simply take
their place. They are territorial, so a vacant plot soon
gets a new resident.

I've given up trying to get rid of them now. It just means
putting up with the lawns looking unsightly and having to
walk with caution as the ground is so uneven - a twisted
ankle or a fall for the more elderly being a distinct
possibility.

On the plus side, fresh mole hills contain lots of really
fine soil - ideal for mixing with cheap potting compost
from garden centres for potting on garden plants etc.
--
David in Normandy
Old 26-11-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Si says...
[...]

Give the barrel type traps a go. I've found them very effective (in Belgim
and the UK). See my other post.

Old 26-11-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in
:

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared
about 10 days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago.
Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife
but hills all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly
hello from a visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have
to insert a trap in a tunnel and take it far away?

If you want to get rid of the mole read this before you do
anything...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...tes/reports/mo
le-review.pdf

... The DEFRA report make clear why they don't work.

Indeed. Trapping works, and is easy to do. The tunnels are only a few
inches below the surface and can be readily located. There is usually a
main tunnel with branches; the approx location of the main tunnel can
be seen by the line of molehills and the exact location found by
probing with a pointed stake or similar. Dig out and clear a very short
section [I found a trowel + tablespoon (for clearing the actual tunnel
you have broken into) to be useful].

I used scissor traps very succesfully but YMMV. They were of a
different design to that linked to on eBay and similar to the 'Sure
Grip' design shown he
http://www.moletraps.co.uk/mole_trap_supplies.html
I ordered them by phone from a company advertising on-line (but can't
remember who) - they are readily available in hardware stores, garden
centres etc.

Aside: despite the cuddly image, moles are nasty, vicous, solitary and
cannibalistic creatures. They even eat their own young if they hang
around too long. Indeed, one reason that poison is effective is that an
incoming mole entering a vacated tunnel network will eat the poisoned
corpse of the previous occupant. Just thought you'd like to know...

Hope this helps

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old 26-11-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

If you want to get rid of the mole read this before you do anything...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

Good article.

Like I said, given that they eat worms, hope for a hard winter that
kills the worms.
Old 26-11-2007, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/11/07 11:26, in article , "The
Natural Philosopher" wrote:

CWatters wrote:
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

If you want to get rid of the mole read this before you do anything...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ts/mole-review.
pdf

Good article.

Like I said, given that they eat worms, hope for a hard winter that
kills the worms.

And harms the soil? I don't think, so thanks!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-11-2007, 12:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:03:26 +0000, Si wrote:

[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

Tough luck, been there done that got the uneven lawn. SWMBO reckoned over
thirty mole hills at the height of last summer.....

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

Forget the sonic repellents, they don't work, and may actually work against
you, as does the old wives' tale about sticking windmills in the ground coz
they don't like the vibrations. All that does is to tend to bring the worms
up close to the surface, so the runs are closer to the surface which tends
to make the lawn more uneven.

Had a mole catcher when we had our first troubles some years ago, two or
three years with LOTS of pellets dropped down the mole hills into the runs,
no effect whatsoever. In the end they just went on their way.

The last lot we had, last summer, was a family. In the end we got them with
traps. DON'T use the so-called 'humane' traps, which are supposed to let
you catch them live and release them a long way off. Moles need to eat
continuously, and will actually starve within two or three hours if they
are confined in a trap. Use traps that actually polish them off there and
then. Much better to kill them off immediately than let them starve.

Oh, and cats don't work. Ours just sit and look at the mole hills
appearing.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Old 26-11-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , The Wanderer
wrote:

The last lot we had, last summer, was a family. In the end we got them with
traps. DON'T use the so-called 'humane' traps, which are supposed to let
you catch them live and release them a long way off. Moles need to eat
continuously, and will actually starve within two or three hours if they
are confined in a trap. Use traps that actually polish them off there and
then. Much better to kill them off immediately than let them starve.

I have had good success with the plunger type -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Too.../dp/B000VDCL4Y -
which can be set without any digging and give visual feedback when they
have been triggered.

But I also found that filling in the main run - by lifting up the turf
along its full length, filling with sand and topsoil and replacing the
turf - seemed to send the moles elsewhere. They certainly didn't
excavate the same tunnel again -- although they might just choose
another route across the lawn.

Another trick I will try if the varmits come back is to block off the
side of the lawn they usually come in (from (the field next door) with
some roof slates buried vertically along the lawn edge. They don't like
going too deep and may go somewhere else if they can't find an easy
route across your lawn.
Old 26-11-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

The Wanderer wrote:

Oh, and cats don't work. Ours just sit and look at the mole hills
appearing.....

They do with me. Very effective although they do get a lot of help from
a Jack Russell and a flock of chickens (they will kill and eat moles).

--
Howard Neil

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM