Old 27-11-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moles

In message , Uncle Marvo
writes

. ..
Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

Hope for a really hard winter.

Brilliant idea. Another way would be to get one of the celeb chefs to come
up with a really good mole recipe.

'There's money in them thar (mole)hills'.

--
Si
Old 27-11-2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

You sure can, though I've not tried them a bit too
expensive. Little sticks of what looks like dynamite and an
electronic detonator. Land mines for moles! Boom!
--
David in Normandy

Bet they do wonders for the lawn :-)

Mary

Reminds me of a gent in the 1970's, we were househunting and he was sat
with a 12 bore over his strawberries, I have wondered ever since whether
there was ever any fruit to pick!
But I think on balence I would rather put up with the moles than
explosions and craters :~)

Me too.

Mary

Old 27-11-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. ..
In article 548a4fb1-9149-4742-a144-cc0d92ec7640
@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com, geraldthehamster says...
On 26 Nov, 11:07, Richard Perkin wrote:
"CWatters" wrote
:

Indeed. Trapping works, and is easy to do.

Agreed. Don't muck about with sonic repellents - ours appeared to work
for a week, then ended up in the middle of a faerie ring of new
molehills. I tried a scissor trap that I got from my dad, that he got
from an antique shop (!), and claimed to have caught a couple of moles
with. It got set off twice, but on each occasion was empty. Bought
three traps from this lot:

http://www.theflatpack.co.uk/
(with whom I have no connection, by the way),

You can't pussyfoot about with moles. Either you decide you're going
to put up with them, or you have to get rid with extreme prejudice.

One of the worse aspect of moles is the unseen tunnels just
below the surface. I've had one or two jarred ankles while
pushing the mower along and the ground gives way under
foot. They sometimes bring little rocks to the surface too
which hit the mower blades.

There's an easy solution - get rid of the lawn.

Hmmm, that's what one of my neighbours did - covered the whole garden in
concrete.

But seriously, grass (ours is hardly a cultivated lawn) is nice to sit on
and provides space. No?

Well, our back garden is given over to veg plots, greenhouse and chickens.
When we sit in the garden (mostly for meals) it's on the roof of the air
raid shelter, which has table and chairs on it.

Perhaps you don't have an air-raid shelter ...

The front garden is given over the the caravan :-)

Mary

--
Si

Old 27-11-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
LSR LSR is offline

Catch it in a deadfall trap, have it stuffed and send it to a school in the
Sudan.

They could call it Molehammered.

--
LSR

Old 27-11-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , LSR
says...
Catch it in a deadfall trap, have it stuffed and send it to a school in the
Sudan.

They could call it Molehammered.

For that joke you are sentenced to 6 months in jail, 40
lashes and a heavy fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7114439.stm

--
David in Normandy
Old 27-11-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , LSR
says...
Catch it in a deadfall trap, have it stuffed and send it to a school in
the
Sudan.

They could call it Molehammered.

For that joke you are sentenced to 6 months in jail, 40
lashes and a heavy fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7114439.stm

It's not a situation to laugh about :-(

Mary

--
David in Normandy

Old 27-11-2007, 02:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article 474c2545$0$759$4c56ba96
@master.news.zetnet.net, Mary Fisher says...

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , LSR
says...
Catch it in a deadfall trap, have it stuffed and send it to a school in
the
Sudan.

They could call it Molehammered.

For that joke you are sentenced to 6 months in jail, 40
lashes and a heavy fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7114439.stm

It's not a situation to laugh about :-(

Mary

I'm not laughing. It's black humour. If the lady in
question had been seen alone in the company of the teddy
she would probably be facing the death penalty.
I'll stop there (Islam winds me up). Grrr! :-(
--
David in Normandy
Old 28-11-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Uncle Marvo
writes

. ..
Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about

10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but

hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in

tunnel and take it far away?

Hope for a really hard winter.

Brilliant idea. Another way would be to get one of the celeb chefs to

come
up with a really good mole recipe.

'There's money in them thar (mole)hills'.

--
Si

Got enough for a pair of trousers?

Old 28-11-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
But seriously, grass (ours is hardly a cultivated lawn) is nice to sit on
and provides space. No?

Well, our back garden is given over to veg plots, greenhouse and
chickens. When we sit in the garden (mostly for meals) it's on the roof
of the air raid shelter, which has table and chairs on it.

Perhaps you don't have an air-raid shelter ...

Happily there wasn't much call for them in the 50's.

The front garden is given over the the caravan :-)

Thank-you to everyone who has contributed to this intense course in
human-mole relations. I've taken your advice and chosen not to waste
cash on sonic spikes. So far, taking the cheapest route, I've used the
excess of soiled clay-based cat litter our cat provides to pour into and
on top of the hills. So far, after 2 days, no further hills have
appeared but that's probably too soon to tell if it'll be effective.

--
Si

Old 28-11-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:23:16 -0000, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Uncle Marvo
writes

. ..
Si wrote:
[...]

Wogan has more than enough.

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2007/10/terry_wogan_ups.html
--

Martin

-------------------------
Up in Cumberlad I have watched Mole catchers at work many times. Some call
the animal "Mowdiwarps".
The catchers have specially made traps. They can tell by the mounds of
soil where the mowdiwarp's tunnel run is. They can tell where the animals'
store compartment is. They take great care not to let 'hand-smell'
contaminate the trap.
A hole is lifted out and the trap is triggered and placed appropriately in
the hole . A part of the trap from the trigger sticks out of the top at
ground level.
He will set two or three dozen traps. Returning next day he pulls them out
and puts them into a big pocket inside his heavy coat, goes to the nearest
fence and skins them. There's always a wide board nearby on a fence so he
apreads the skins one at a time on the board with tin-tacks. He has a
small spade and buries the flesh and guts.
He then goes home. He'll have a drink and a "crack" with the Farmer that
evening "In't' Pub"
When he decides the skins are matured and dried properly on the shaded fence
he collects them and the package goes to places like London to be made into
long fur coats for those people with enough money..
Properly lined with silk, the coats are - (were), - in great demand by the
rich women of "Society".
Doug.
-----------------------

Old 28-11-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
[...]

OPne last bit of advice.

If you're really breaking nether limbs because of the activities of these
little gentlemen in velvet weskits I suggest that you put some flags over
your lawn to step on.

Seriously.

Mary

--
Si

Old 28-11-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article 474dc5d9$0$771$4c56ba96
@master.news.zetnet.net, Mary Fisher says...

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
[...]

We did that, laid a row of flags across the top lawn to the
washing line. All neatly set into a bed of sand so they
were level with the lawn so the lawn mower could go
straight over them. A few days later the furry little
blighters had gone under and along the edge of the flags
destabilising them so they rocked under foot leaving hills
along the edge of the new path :-(

The only solution would be to dig a deep trench and pre-
fill it with hardcore and concrete first before laying the
flags.
--
David in Normandy
Old 29-11-2007, 12:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Si wrote:
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about
10 days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in
lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but
hills all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello
from a visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a
trap in a tunnel and take it far away?

Try these techniques it might amuse the neighbours!

http://www.dtep.com/mole-in-the-hole.htm

A further Google might bring up the original?
Old 29-11-2007, 07:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:46:21 GMT, "clot" wrote:

Try these techniques it might amuse the neighbours!

http://www.dtep.com/mole-in-the-hole.htm

A further Google might bring up the original?

Or try this:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Also in video:

http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm

You'll have to see just how smooth the lawn is afterwards, though.

Thomas Prufer

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM