Old 27-11-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default exochorda massacre

The guy cutting hedges (for the village) went a little too far towards our gate. There
was a nice established Exochorda "the Bride", about 5 years in the ground, that was
chopped to bits. There are a couple of feet of bare wood left, that's all.

Anyone know how these respond to "cutting back hard?" Grrr.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 27-11-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anyone know how these respond to "cutting back hard?" Grrr.

Cut mine back to stumps two years ago, grew back well but didn't
flower last spring. Hope it will next year!

Phil

Old 27-11-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:31:48 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

The guy cutting hedges (for the village) went a little too far towards our gate. There
was a nice established Exochorda "the Bride", about 5 years in the ground, that was
chopped to bits. There are a couple of feet of bare wood left, that's all.

Anyone know how these respond to "cutting back hard?" Grrr.

I have to prune mine back fairly hard from time to time because it is
really vigorous when fully established. It has always come back well.
I hope yours does too because there is nothing more beautiful when
it's in full bloom, and truly well named.

Old 27-11-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:41:23 -0000
Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

The guy cutting hedges (for the village) went a little too far towards our gate. There
was a nice established Exochorda "the Bride", about 5 years in the ground, that was
chopped to bits. There are a couple of feet of bare wood left, that's all.

Anyone know how these respond to "cutting back hard?" Grrr.

I have to prune mine back fairly hard from time to time because it is
really vigorous when fully established. It has always come back well.
I hope yours does too because there is nothing more beautiful when
it's in full bloom, and truly well named.

Apart from the bad timing for flowers next year (should have been chopped
after flowering) it will be fine, they respond well to a good hair cut.

Thanks, and Phil and Fuscia. Sounds as if it has a good chance.

This is a lot more than a haircut, perhaps 90% of the shrub was killed,
and of course it's those really messy cuts that tractor-mounted mulcher-cutters
make.

I really am very miffed, but of course there's nothing to be done about it.

-E

Old 27-11-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/11/07 18:09, in article ,
"Emery Davis" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:41:23 -0000
Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

I think it may be best to console yourself with the thought of how well
hedgerows grow back after such massacres! Others have said more and better
but I doubt you'll find it an altogether lost cause. A builder trampled
heavily and stupidly on one of our variegated leaf Fuchsias when it was a
very small plant and we despaired of its survival. Four years on it's going
to need a pretty serious hair cut soon!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-11-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:08:22 +0000
Sacha wrote:

I really am very miffed, but of course there's nothing to be done about it.

-E

I think it may be best to console yourself with the thought of how well
hedgerows grow back after such massacres! Others have said more and better
but I doubt you'll find it an altogether lost cause. A builder trampled
heavily and stupidly on one of our variegated leaf Fuchsias when it was a
very small plant and we despaired of its survival. Four years on it's going
to need a pretty serious hair cut soon!

You're right, Sacha. I actually get on very well with the Mayor and know most
of the council, but I can only imagine the blank looks I'd get if I complained. The
damage is done, now to move on to other vegetal tragedies: our dog ran over
a little maple and snapped it to bits yesterday, that I've been babying in a pot
for 3 years and finally decided to put in ground. It wasn't in the earth for 3 minutes...
Such is life in the garden!

-E

Old 28-11-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Dogs and gardens......and if it's not dogs, it's slugs or rabbits. ;-(

Old 28-11-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:45:11 +0000
Sacha wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Not to mention deer, boar and foxes. Oh, and children. I usually
put little fences around the really small maples, but I didn't even get
a chance with this one!

-E

Old 30-11-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Dogs and gardens......and if it's not dogs, it's slugs or rabbits. ;-(

I'm glad we are not mentioning cats! I assume we take them as mentioned
anyway?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 30-11-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/07 12:10, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Dogs and gardens......and if it's not dogs, it's slugs or rabbits. ;-(

I'm glad we are not mentioning cats! I assume we take them as mentioned
anyway?

I admit I omitted them rather than encourage the resident bores. ;-))