Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeds - where to get interesting vegetable seeds?

On 11/12/07 11:48, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:10:08 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gary Woods" wrote after...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Never matches the blinking pictures!

Just got my Fedco seed catalog (Co-op in U.S.), and the cover has a gent
eagerly reading the catalog with the caption "Publishing fiction for 20
years."

That sounds like a British sense of humour. :-)
and an honest Company.

Cotswold garden flowers

http://www.cgf.net/

and Bob Brown have the same type of catalogue

Bob Brown is Cotswold Garden Flowers?

Thanks!

The other places for interesting seeds are Derry Watkins Special Plants
http://www.specialplants.net/ and Secret Seeds http://www.secretseeds.com/

Not veg, though.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Dec, 14:23, Sacha wrote:
On 11/12/07 11:48, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:10:08 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gary Woods" wrote after...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Never matches the blinking pictures!

Just got my Fedco seed catalog (Co-op in U.S.), and the cover has a gent
eagerly reading the catalog with the caption "Publishing fiction for 20
years."

That sounds like a British sense of humour. :-)
and an honest Company.

Cotswold garden flowers

http://www.cgf.net/

and Bob Brown have the same type of catalogue

Bob Brown is Cotswold Garden Flowers?

Thanks!

The other places for interesting seeds are Derry Watkins Special Plantshttp://www.specialplants.net/and Secret Seedshttp://www.secretseeds.com/

Not veg, though.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I always think that the seed catalogues are really selling us dreams

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/12/07 14:42, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:
snip

I always think that the seed catalogues are really selling us dreams

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

To some extent they are, but I suppose that's half the fun. I haven't used
Secret Seeds as much but we find Derry is pretty straightforward.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Also "vale of tears" beans supposedly taken by the Indians when
they were marched off their lands to those awful reservations. I can see
why they didn't want to go if they only had those beans for company.

Curiously, I have "Cherokee Trail of Tears," which is a quite nice pole
bean. Did well in my usual scheme of six poles in a teepee. I have a nice
stand of maple saplings out in back; call it my bean pole farm.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| I tried "broad yellow ripple currant" tomatoes one year from Garden
| organic or whatever they were calling themselves. They were lawful.

Which laws do your normal tomatoes break? :-)

Several natural ones by calling themselves tomatoes for one thing!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gary Woods
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Also "vale of tears" beans supposedly taken by the Indians when
they were marched off their lands to those awful reservations. I can see
why they didn't want to go if they only had those beans for company.

Curiously, I have "Cherokee Trail of Tears," which is a quite nice pole
bean. Did well in my usual scheme of six poles in a teepee. I have a nice
stand of maple saplings out in back; call it my bean pole farm.

What were the beans like eventually Gary? I never found out what they
tasted like etc.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

What were the beans like eventually Gary? I never found out what they
tasted like etc.

Quite nice; a bit shorter and stouter than some I grow, though not so much
so as the Romano types. They turn a sort of bronze color as they mature
past the snap bean stage; I've got quite a lot to plant for next year!
They easily climbed past the top of the 8-foot poles I make the teepees
with.... since they're slanted, I can just reach the tops to pick the
beans.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gary Woods
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

What were the beans like eventually Gary? I never found out what they
tasted like etc.

Quite nice; a bit shorter and stouter than some I grow, though not so much
so as the Romano types. They turn a sort of bronze color as they mature
past the snap bean stage; I've got quite a lot to plant for next year!
They easily climbed past the top of the 8-foot poles I make the teepees
with.... since they're slanted, I can just reach the tops to pick the
beans.

My blue French beans were like that. I wondered if I ought to have
pinched the topes out as they got to the top because they did get sort
of tangled once they had nowhere to go!
One set I undid as per sweet peas and wound them round the base of the
wigwam more before letting them climb again.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 9 Dec, 13:19, Chris ] wrote:
There have recently been press articles saying that the range of
available seeds is very restricted.

I am interested in growing food, not growing for exhibition.

Where is the best place to get good vegetable seeds for the garden?

--
Chris

Others have mentioned most of the usual suspects - here's another
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/
You could do worse and their catalogue is worth having even if you
don't buy anything. I usually read it over Christmas and then spend
far too much money with them after Christmas - it's an annual treat.
Old 15-12-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 9, 3:19 pm, Chris ] wrote:
There have recently been press articles saying that the range of
availableseedsis very restricted.

I am interested in growing food, not growing for exhibition.

Where is the best place to get good vegetableseedsfor the garden?

--
Chris

you can find high quality organic seeds in: www.seeds-depot.com
e-mail:

yosi

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered User

In theory, you can now only commercial sales of seed varieties, if they have tested the safeness of the food they produce. Only large quantities of commercial species were tested. It is feared this will lead to rapid loss of about 99% of the genetic diversity of food plants. Speciality vegetable seed bank is being established to maintain this diversity.
__________________
cannabis seeds
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
There have recently been press articles saying that the range of available seeds is very restricted.

I am interested in growing food, not growing for exhibition.

Where is the best place to get good vegetable seeds for the garden?
I'm very impressed with these people.
(1) You join a club for 1p, so now they can sell you sees the commercials can't.
(2) They only sell true varieties, not hybrids, so if you avoid crossing you can gather the seed and grow it yourself in future years
(3) They do trials of what works best in cool British conditions, and only sell stuff suitable for growing in British gardens, not commercial varieties best grown in Spain
But by this time of the year, you'll find a few things are sold out already - after all your peppers should be already in the propagator by now.
Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue