Old 20-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Registered User

Location: West Yorkshire. UK
Default Garden Centre Pricing

Last week my wife bought a Yucca plant at a local garden centre for £6.99. We went to the same grden centre yesterday and Yukka's of the same size were £10.99 is this because Easter is a traditional time for buying plants and garden centres being able to charge more? Has anyone else found this problem?

Stephen G
http://uk.geocities.com/gardeningforpleasureuk/
Old 20-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Location: West Yorkshire. UK

Drat a Gardening forum and I can not spell garden sorry I will take 100 lines.
Old 20-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim W

Stephen G wrote:

Last week my wife bought a Yucca plant at a local garden centre for
£6.99. We went to the same grden centre yesterday and Yukka's of the
same size were £10.99 is this because Easter is a traditional time for
buying plants and garden centres being able to charge more? Has anyone
else found this problem?

Why is it a problem? Your wife bought the plant at a cheaper price!-)
I ususally avoid garden centres at Easter.. coupla weeks before, coupla
weeks after.. much nicer-)
//
Old 20-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"Stephen G" wrote in message
s.com...
Last week my wife bought a Yucca plant at a local garden centre for
£6.99. We went to the same grden centre yesterday and Yukka's of the
same size were £10.99 is this because Easter is a traditional time for
buying plants and garden centres being able to charge more? Has anyone
else found this problem?

Might be for any one of a number of legitimate reasons: Clearing old stock
ready for the new Easter stock, larger pot size for the higher priced plant
(even tho' plant might be same height), different type (50% difference in ex
nursery trade price from my usual sources)

Or it might just be responding to higher seasonal demand.

pk

Old 21-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Essjay001

Stephen G scribbled:

Last week my wife bought a Yucca plant at a local garden centre for
£6.99. We went to the same grden centre yesterday and Yukka's of the
same size were £10.99 is this because Easter is a traditional time for
buying plants and garden centres being able to charge more? Has anyone
else found this problem?

Stephen G
http://tinyurl.com/9wga

Yuo might try writing to your local TSO. Don't know what they can do but
would be interested to find out.

Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Sacha

in article , Essjay001 at
wrote on 21/4/03 12:21 am:

Stephen G scribbled:

Last week my wife bought a Yucca plant at a local garden centre for
£6.99. We went to the same grden centre yesterday and Yukka's of the
same size were £10.99 is this because Easter is a traditional time for
buying plants and garden centres being able to charge more? Has anyone
else found this problem?

Stephen G
http://tinyurl.com/9wga

Yuo might try writing to your local TSO. Don't know what they can do but
would be interested to find out.

Surely if people want to buy something and are prepared to pay the price
asked, there's no more to be said, or done? They've willingly and knowingly
entered into the contract.
Yesterday, we had someone come here for the first time and he spent an hour
or more wandering around. As he was leaving, he asked Ray if we sell
Gunnera and if so, for how much. Ray showed him a plant and said it was
£15. This chap looked absolutely sick - he'd just been to a gc and paid
£59.50 for a plant the same size. Now, while this certainly implies some
profiteering on someone's part, the customer was clearly willing to pay the
price!
--

Sacha

Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
david

I remember when we opened to the public we would get customers quibbling
over a plant priced at £2.25, yet these same people would go down to Wyevale
and pay £6.00 for the same thing and not bat an eyelid.
It's a strange thing. you go to a Supermarket and expect to find things
cheaper than in the small shop down the road, yet you go to a Garden centre
and are happy to pay 3 times the price of the same thing in the small
Nursery down the road.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from Stephen G contains these words:

Drat a Gardening forum and I can not spell garden sorry I will take 100
lines.

"Yukka is a yucky way to spell yucca", perhaps.

;~}

Janet.

Old 21-04-2003, 04:34 PM
William Tasso

david wrote:
I remember when we opened to the public we would get customers
quibbling over a plant priced at £2.25, yet these same people would
go down to Wyevale and pay £6.00 for the same thing and not bat an
eyelid. It's a strange thing. you go to a Supermarket and expect to
find things cheaper than in the small shop down the road ...

Then the 'you' in this example is a fool.

--
William Tasso

Old 21-04-2003, 04:46 PM
David W.E. Roberts

William,

a little harsh, don't you think?

Supermarkets generally charge less than small shops - in many cases they
charge less than the price a small shopkeeper can get stock from the cash
and carry.
So the 'you' expecting to find things cheaper in a supermarket is clearly
not a fool.

The difference in the relationship of small retailers to garden centres and
supermarkets, I think, is that many small nurseries grow their own plants,
and thus are able to supply directly to the public without involving a chain
of wholesalers and retailers and can undercut their large rivals and still
make a profit.

Small nurseries also tend to be in cheap locations out of town, not in the
high street paying town centre business rates and rents.

So shop at your small nurseries when you can - you get better plants cheaper
most of the time.

Cheers

Dave R

"William Tasso" wrote in message
david wrote:
I remember when we opened to the public we would get customers
quibbling over a plant priced at £2.25, yet these same people would
go down to Wyevale and pay £6.00 for the same thing and not bat an
eyelid. It's a strange thing. you go to a Supermarket and expect to
find things cheaper than in the small shop down the road ...

Then the 'you' in this example is a fool.

--
William Tasso

Pond Liner Pricing - EPDM vs Permalon Bryan Ponds 9 14-02-2004 01:32 AM
farmers market pricing WiGard Gardening 12 11-02-2004 05:32 PM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 0 06-02-2004 10:05 AM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 0 06-02-2004 09:01 AM
Pricing Fish! Paul Cimins Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 27-08-2003 08:33 PM