Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Wel to my surprise, one of the companies that I asked to quote has been to look already and here is the result. Your comments are invited

The three trees, two in the back and the one next to the garage, should be removed as the two larger specimens have attained a size where sections are liable to failure in extreme weather. The tree adjacent to the garage will continue to have an impact on both the drive and the structure of the garage if left to grow. Removing the trees will have no effect on the structure or foundations.
The trees forming a hedge along the front boundary are starting to interfere with both the footway and streetlight and it will be probable that the city council will ask you to trim them accordingly in the near future. Some form of management will be required. It is your decision as to whether you would like to retain them as a hedge or remove them. I have quoted for removal.
• Very large Leylandii in rear garden at far end. To fell to ground level our charge would be £480.00+Vat. To grind main roots to 150-200mm below ground level our charge would be £95.00+Vat.
• Leylandii in rear garden at far end near the large tree. To fell to ground level our charge would be £85.00+Vat. To grind main roots to 150-200mm to below ground level our charge would be £35.00+Vat.
• Leylandii by garage. To fell to ground level our charge would be £350.00+Vat. To grind main roots to below ground level our charge would be £85.00+Vat.
• Leylandii x 5 along front wall. To fell to ground level our charge would be £175.00+Vat. To grind main roots to below ground level our charge would be £90.00+Vat.

Redg
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default old giant leylandiis

On 2 Jan, 09:42, newsb wrote:
IThey're not even any good for the woodburning
stove

Most conifiers are a bit lively to burn in an open fire when green,
but if left out in the rain for a couple of years after logging seem
to be fine. In a woodburning stove there should be no real problem,
except possible overheating if they are very green and very resinous

Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redg View Post
[...]

Can anyone tell me( sensibly!) what they think of these quotes in terms of whether or not they are reasonable, exhorbitant etc. Thanks. I am still waiting for another quote.......
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"redg" wrote in message

redg;768795 Wrote:
[...]

If it's of any use to you, we had a Leylandii removed from the centre of our
garden 2 years ago. Not interfering with anything but too big and out of
proportion. About 40 ft high. Landrover and trailer about 40 ft from where
he felled it and brick path from tree to vehicle. Cleared site but didn't
grind stump.

Also removed top 3 ft off a 40 ft run of Hawthorn Hedge so we could manage
it from steps in future.

Cleared everything away. £250.00

Can you use that for comparison?

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

redg wrote:
Can anyone tell me( sensibly!) what they think of these quotes in terms
of whether or not they are reasonable, exhorbitant etc. Thanks. I am
still waiting for another quote.......

It seems to me they are definitely encouraging you to have them do the
job! There's a lot of gloom and doom in their analysis of the
situation. Is it a fact that your leylandiis ARE causing problems NOW?

The other thing I would be wary about is their seeming to tell you that
complete removal of a tree in one session will not cause problems. I
once had an extremely tall and large sycamore tree removed from a
position 15 feet away from the back of my house. Whether it was because
I had an insurance company involved, monitoring things, or not, the very
professional tree surgeon (recommended to me by the the local council's
"head of trees") insisted that the tree had to be reduced in size
slowly, over the course of 18 months. They visited three times. To
have removed it in one fell swoop would have been to cause the roots to
behave in such a way that would have caused problems to the foundations
of the house.

My advice: get in touch with your local council, get through to the
"Head Ranger" or similar, the person in charge of maintaining the
council's trees. He'll know what he's talking about. And he'll no
doubt be able to put you in touch with a reliable private tree surgeon.
Very often councils use these tree surgeons themselves.

Eddy.

Old 18-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered User

[My advice: get in touch with your local council, get through to the
"Head Ranger" or similar, the person in charge of maintaining the
council's trees. He'll know what he's talking about. And he'll no
doubt be able to put you in touch with a reliable private tree surgeon.
Very often councils use these tree surgeons themselves.]

Eddy.[/quote]

Thanks Eddy for good advice. I contacted the local tree officer , who explained that the roots only cause the problems if the trees pre date the property. Also recommended some tree surgeons.