Old 30-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Registered User

Default old giant leylandiis

My Oxford home is let. It has a very small triangular back garden with two lelandiis in the corner, one very very tall and one slightly shorter. Next to the garage at the side if the house is another and along the front wall are 4 more.

I can hear you saying, why has this person allowed them to become so tall. Don't ask, it is a big mistake..... However my neighbour is having problems with the TV signal. I have made enquiries as to cost of having them reduced and one company suggested removal of them. Although I believe in conservation, these trees are a big problem and although they are great specimins, I have no desire to keep them. However the back garden trees are about 20 feet from the house, the side one about 5 and the front garden also about 20. The front ones have already pushed up a driveway paving slab.
Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these giants....... been there at least 20 years!
Old 30-12-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
redg writes:

| My Oxford home is let. It has a very small triangular back garden with
| two lelandiis in the corner, one very very tall and one slightly
| shorter. Next to the garage at the side if the house is another and
| along the front wall are 4 more.

It it almost certainly your landlord's responsibility, but the only
sane thing to do is remove them. They are FAR too close to the house,
and the insurers might refuse to pay if they damage it or someone
else's property.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-12-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| I read it that the OP is the landlord?

Ah, I see. That simplifies things.

| Any way the sooner you bite the bullet and get them down the better, the
| longer you leave it the more costly it will become. ...

And the higher the chance that they will come down in a storm, causing
costly damage and a row with the insurers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-12-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Dec, 11:31, redg wrote:
Nick Maclaren;767819 Wrote:

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

Not sure if I am doing this reply correctly. Yes I am the landlord and
posted the message. I would very much like to end the problem but I
understand that by removing them completely, there could be structural
damage beneath the house, either drying out of roots or water remaining
under the house with them all being so near to it. They are massive
trees! I've left it too long but no good moaning about it, onwards and
downwards hopefully!

I will get in touch with a tree surgeon. My agents have already got
quotes for reducing them but they are pretty useless at getting any
other reliable information for me. About 700 sterling pounds to halve
them including removal of waste. Is it cheaper to just ged rid of them
? I am overseas and sometimes things aren't that simple. I searched the
internet yesterday to try and find a website that offered information
relating to the removal and any subsequent problems but to no avail.

Thanks for your replies, appreciated.

--
redg

Why not have them cut down to 6 or 7ft stumps and then use these for
growing something like climbing roses, clematis etc over.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 31-12-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill writes:

| Why not have them cut down to 6 or 7ft stumps and then use these for
| growing something like climbing roses, clematis etc over.

If you kill them, in 5-10 years their roots will rot and they will
fall over. If you don't, they will regrow and be as much trouble
in 5-10 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-12-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Dec, 13:17, redg wrote:
My Oxford home is let. It has a very small triangular back garden with
two lelandiis in the corner, one very very tall and one slightly
shorter.

It's time to bite the bullet, call (more than one) tree surgeon to get
a price for complete removal.

It's not worth buggering about trying to save money when an accident
could be nasty.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On 30 Dec, 13:17, redg wrote:
My Oxford home is let. It has a very small triangular back garden with
two lelandiis in the corner, one very very tall and one slightly
shorter.

It's time to bite the bullet, call (more than one) tree surgeon to get
a price for complete removal.

It's not worth buggering about trying to save money when an accident
could be nasty.
So you all reckon I should get it done, but no comments about the undergound structural damage where the roots have reached. That's my big worry.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jan, 05:29, redg wrote:
So you all reckon I should get it done, but no comments about the
undergound structural damage where the roots have reached. That's my

That's why you need the professionals.

In general all the Leylandii I have taken down have had a root ball no
wider than the crown, but I live on heavy clay. The nature of root
growth is a complicated thing, depending on underground conditions.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Dec 2007, 19:12, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Dave Hill writes:

| Why not have them cut down to 6 or 7ft stumps and then use these for
| growing something like climbing roses, clematis etc over.

If you kill them, in 5-10 years their roots will rot and they will
fall over. If you don't, they will regrow and be as much trouble
in 5-10 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have never known Leylandii regrow from the trunk, only from
remaining green growth.
And if you get 5 to 10 years of use as a support then that's not bad
as most posts used for the job would only last that long, and by then
you have no problems with having to dig out the stumps.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 85590a8f-a1bb-4a7a-a1bc-321c4869ec71
@y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, Dave Hill says...
In article ,Dave Hill writes:

| Why not have them cut down to 6 or 7ft stumps and then use these for
| growing something like climbing roses, clematis etc over.

If you kill them, in 5-10 years their roots will rot and they will
fall over. If you don't, they will regrow and be as much trouble
in 5-10 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have never known Leylandii regrow from the trunk, only from
remaining green growth.
And if you get 5 to 10 years of use as a support then that's not bad
as most posts used for the job would only last that long, and by then
you have no problems with having to dig out the stumps.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

That is what we did at our old house. The previous owner
had a row of Leylandii as a hedge, but prior to selling had
cut them off at 6 feet. They looked awful. I finished the
job by removing all the side branches and using them as
fence posts. I fastened some chain link fencing to them (to
keep our dogs in) and planted up with a mixed hedgerow of
pyracanthus, hawthorne, holly and berberris. After a few
years it looked really good and the tree trunks and chain
link were invisible, lost in the hedge foliage. The trunks
made no attempt to re-grow with the exception of one trunk
which produced a half hearted shoot then died.
--
David in Normandy