Old 14-10-2003, 09:44 PM
DLee

Default Moving Leylandiis

Hi All

We have about 20 of them along the fence looking into a road - which is a
bit problematic with youths haning around. These Leylandiis have been
planted this May, and grown about a foot - which are now about 3 to 4 ft
tall. The fence is about 5.5 ft - 6 ft, so still a lot to catch up to block
the road properly.

I am thinking of moving 10 of them to the side of the garage, as hee too is
needing some protection from vandals, because I bought some Thugas and Larix
Ddecidua trees which I want to try in the place of 10 Leylandiis, as they
are supposed to grow fast as well.

Is this right time for moving? Will they cope with this move? How tall will
they be this spring? Anything to consider on this move?

cheers

Dan

Old 15-10-2003, 12:12 AM
bnd777

"DLee" wrote in message
[...]

If you need to deter vandals etc you would do much better to plant

Pyracantha
The spikes see off intruders but the berries are beautiful and much much
easier to maintain than Leylandi

Old 15-10-2003, 01:02 PM
DLee

If you need to deter vandals etc you would do much better to plant

Pyracantha
The spikes see off intruders but the berries are beautiful and much much
easier to maintain than Leylandi

Well - our problem is that the private road on the other side of our fence
is full of public traffic, and when youths gathers and go home from school,
they throw rocks and eggs. So that's why we went for the Leylandii. We also
knew that Leylandiis are not most attractive looking trees and also bad
press caused by neighbour disputes..etc, However, we need height
desperately, and Leylandii looked like the best candidate for this
situation.

Dan

Old 15-10-2003, 06:33 PM
bnd777

"DLee" wrote in message

If you need to deter vandals etc you would do much better to plant

Pyracantha
The spikes see off intruders but the berries are beautiful and much much
easier to maintain than Leylandi

Well - our problem is that the private road on the other side of our fence
is full of public traffic, and when youths gathers and go home from

school,
they throw rocks and eggs. So that's why we went for the Leylandii. We

also
knew that Leylandiis are not most attractive looking trees and also bad
press caused by neighbour disputes..etc, However, we need height
desperately, and Leylandii looked like the best candidate for this
situation.

Dan

Just be sure they do not undermine your garage foundations

Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes

Well - our problem is that the private road on the other side of our fence
is full of public traffic, and when youths gathers and go home from

school,
they throw rocks and eggs. So that's why we went for the Leylandii. We

also
knew that Leylandiis are not most attractive looking trees and also bad
press caused by neighbour disputes..etc, However, we need height
desperately, and Leylandii looked like the best candidate for this
situation.

Dan

Just be sure they do not undermine your garage foundations

Don't talk rot Barry, it doesn't do your credibility any good
--
David

Old 15-10-2003, 11:22 PM
DLee

Will be soaking the ground every summer with hose - for feeding these guys -
one thing is that where they are planted along the garage is not sunny all
day due to surrounding buidlings, walls and fence - they are under shade
until about 3 pm, then sun hits the area for about couple of hours - so I
was thinking that these Leylandiis may not be growing so fiercely as they
are described.

Dan

Old 16-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

I allways wonder when I read storys like this, do they realise leylandii normally grows to 70+ foot (to give you a comparison, my massive three floor vicotrian town house is towered over by a leyandii), and about 50 feet or more in width. You are talking about planting a tree that can grow to about the size of a tennis court in rows with probably only 2 or 3 foot between them!

Once, in a never to be made again mistake I planted a leylandii hedge. It grew fast out of control and the roots made the soil in a massive area below them dry and acidic, so nothing grew well there. They are also a major fire hazard according to the local fire department, they're a very dense waxy plant that will easily catch fire without anything like petrol as a starter, just a burning newspaper shoved in one starts a massive fire that's very hard to extinguish! It's worrying to realise just how many people have planted such a flamable plant in massive ammounts in small gardens, I've seen many which have so many leylandii close together that if one caught fire the whole garden would go up, and they plant them next to buildings and wooden fences, even lining driveways with cars. More worryingly yet, because they're so thirsty during the hot months there's no lack of dry dead leaves and grass below them...

I don't dislike leylandii, but I think people could be a lot more careful with how they plant it. A better hedge would be something like yew or holly, neither are vigirous plants that need constant trimming, and some plants have thorns and dense growth that wards of vandals to some extent. You may also find in a less formal garden it's more attractive to have a varity of plants in the hedge.