Old 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default New Beech Hedge

On 2 Jan, 20:43, "Mark" wrote:
"PK" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

This site gives 20 cm between each plant
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...ing.html?gclid...
--

Martin

RHS advice is:

Planting
Planting distances vary from 30-60cm (1-2ft), depending on the plants'
vigor. For hedges thicker than 90cm (3ft) plant a staggered double row
45cm (18in) apart, with plants 90cm (3ft) apart.

So how many do I need for a 75 ft hedge?

mark

If you are going to plant staggered and want a hedge that will rapidly
become a established and keep out almost everything then plant your 2
rows with 3 ft between plants and 1 ft between the rows, also put a
run of 1inch wire netting 2ft or so high down the middle.
Get the plants as small as possible, they will establish much quicker
than large plants.
If the plants are bare rooted and dry then soak them for a couple of
hours before planting.
if you have a couple of spare then plant them somewhere else to use to
replace any that die.
When I moved in here I planted 2000 bare rooted hawthorn over 2
winters, I lost 1 plant.
After 2 years I put in a load of cuttings of Lonicera nitida to
thicken the hedge.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

[...]

Thanks David.
I had heard that smaller plants get going more quickly. I like that idea,
for one they'll be cheaper and easier to plant maybe. The reason isn't so
much stock proofing but to screen off the neighbours fence at the bottom of
my garden. It's a poorly constructed panel fence set 2 foot inside their
boundary with me. The purpose of the netting?

mark

Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris1471z" ?@? wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

I planted a beech hedge last year - all have flourished - none have died.
I bought them from mirrorgardens.co.uk

Are you sure?I've just looked at http://www.mirrorgardens.co.uk/ and could
only see links for mirrors.

mark

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

here's the link
http://www.mirrorgarden.co.uk/Index....h&search=beech

Got it!
Thank you.

mark

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
New beech hedge - advice on feeding please ChrisW[_2_] United Kingdom 3 09-05-2008 08:40 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM