Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Default Back Garden Burial.

This Sunday's Observer reported that a local authority
in Devon had granted permission for a woman to
be buried in her own back garden.
I hope this is not you,Sacha, they can do marvelous
things these days,so keep going.
In any case,what's wrong with the compost bin?
A Happy New Year to you and all gardeners,young and old.
Yours in gardening,
Sam.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sam wrote:
This Sunday's Observer reported that a local authority
in Devon had granted permission for a woman to
be buried in her own back garden.
I hope this is not you,Sacha, they can do marvelous
things these days,so keep going.
In any case,what's wrong with the compost bin?
A Happy New Year to you and all gardeners,young and old.

It has happened in Suffolk by the Essex/Suffolk border. The new owners
of the property must allow relatives to visit the grave on one day of
the year.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John wrote ...
sam wrote:
This Sunday's Observer reported that a local authority
in Devon had granted permission for a woman to
be buried in her own back garden.
I hope this is not you,Sacha, they can do marvelous
things these days,so keep going.
In any case,what's wrong with the compost bin?
A Happy New Year to you and all gardeners,young and old.

It has happened in Suffolk by the Essex/Suffolk border. The new owners of
the property must allow relatives to visit the grave on one day of the
year.

I wonder if it's had an effect on the value of the property?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/1/08 23:11, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

John wrote ...
sam wrote:
This Sunday's Observer reported that a local authority
in Devon had granted permission for a woman to
be buried in her own back garden.
I hope this is not you,Sacha, they can do marvelous
things these days,so keep going.
In any case,what's wrong with the compost bin?
A Happy New Year to you and all gardeners,young and old.

It has happened in Suffolk by the Essex/Suffolk border. The new owners of
the property must allow relatives to visit the grave on one day of the
year.

I wonder if it's had an effect on the value of the property?

My brother and sil bought a tiny cottage in Dorset as a week end retreat
many, many years ago. They bought it from a very old man who went into a
home. Some months later, his daughter rang my sil and said the old man had
died and asked if his ashes could be scattered in the garden. A little
startled, my sil said she'd consult with my brother. His daughter said
they'd be very grateful because "mother is there already". They agreed.
It's a lovely garden. ;-) Ray has always joked that when he goes, he wants
to be cremated and to have his ashes scattered, 3 oz to the square yard and
forked in lightly. ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me Me is offline

"sam" wrote in message
news
This Sunday's Observer reported that a local authority
in Devon had granted permission for a woman to
be buried in her own back garden.
I hope this is not you,Sacha, they can do marvelous
things these days,so keep going.
In any case,what's wrong with the compost bin?
A Happy New Year to you and all gardeners,young and old.
Yours in gardening,
Sam.

we buried our Peter in the back garden. we did not ask permission and that
was over 10 years ago now. I had a HDD recorder for Xmas and was
transferring family pictures over from VHS to the HDD.........it brought
back many memories just watching him, happily playing where he is now
buried. we could not bring ourselves to have any more after he
went........it is to emotional......he was a lovely rabbit ;-(

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi All

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 00:03:50 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 2/1/08 23:11, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

John wrote ...
sam wrote:
[...]

Not sure of the legality of it, (and not sure I care !) - but both Mum
and Dad's ashes are scattered in the 'wild bit' at the bottom of the
garden they created from a wilderness over a period of about 25 years.

It seemed fitting .....

Regards
Adrian
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/1/08 09:47, in article ,
"Adrian" wrote:

snip
[...]

Technically, I think you're supposed to get permission because of the
dangers of contaminating water courses. But it's one of those 'who's to
know' situations and in any case, I'm not sure when that law came into
being.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..snip

we buried our Peter in the back garden. we did not ask permission and that
was over 10 years ago now. I had a HDD recorder for Xmas and was
transferring family pictures over from VHS to the HDD.........it brought
back many memories just watching him, happily playing where he is now
buried. we could not bring ourselves to have any more after he
went........it is to emotional......he was a lovely rabbit ;-(

I think that most people bury their pets in the garden without asking don't
they ? I want to be cremated and my ashes spread on the gallops up on Cleeve
Hill Gloucestershire or chucked on the muck heap, I think the muck heap
wins. My husbands ashes will be spread on his workshop floor cos that is
where he spends hours and hours, not on the floor I hasten to add but in the
workshop :-)

kate

Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:57:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Technically, I think you're supposed to get permission because of the
dangers of contaminating water courses.

Burial certainly, I should imagine a google on "green burial" restricted
to the UK will produce lots of info. Scattering ashes, I can't see any
different to scattering fish and bone meal...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/1/08 11:50, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:57:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Technically, I think you're supposed to get permission because of the
dangers of contaminating water courses.

Burial certainly, I should imagine a google on "green burial" restricted
to the UK will produce lots of info. Scattering ashes, I can't see any
different to scattering fish and bone meal...

You're correct.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/ind...at_to_do_after
_a_death.htm

Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 3/1/08 09:47, in article ,
"Adrian" wrote:

snip
[...]

I saw a documentary about the workings of a crematorium a while ago. You
don't get your loved ones ashes. They're not allowed to give you ashes. When
you're cremated, your "ashes" are in fact bones, ground up in a machine
called a cremulator. All that's missing is blood and fish. I'm going on the
rhubarb. But not too soon hopefully. :-)

Steve

Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 3/1/08 09:47, in article ,
"Adrian" wrote:

snip
[...]

Why not this:
http://www.lifegem.com/

There's always plenty of rhubarb{:-)
Graham

Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:29:49 -0000, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

.snip

we buried our Peter in the back garden. we did not ask permission and that
was over 10 years ago now. I had a HDD recorder for Xmas and was
transferring family pictures over from VHS to the HDD.........it brought
back many memories just watching him, happily playing where he is now
buried. we could not bring ourselves to have any more after he
went........it is to emotional......he was a lovely rabbit ;-(

I think that most people bury their pets in the garden without asking don't
they ? I want to be cremated and my ashes spread on the gallops up on Cleeve
Hill Gloucestershire or chucked on the muck heap, I think the muck heap
wins. My husbands ashes will be spread on his workshop floor cos that is
where he spends hours and hours, not on the floor I hasten to add but in the
workshop :-)

kate

Only slightly OT... asked if rats could go in the food waste bin for
composting and told no. So asked what to do with dead rats that we
found (Other cat food can go in the food waste bin but not rats
apparently)
So the nice chap from the council told us they come out and take them
away and to ring up. I asked if there was a charge, and there is if
it's on your land, but not if it's on the pavement - and they don't
know how it got onto the pavement.

We don't get a lot of dead rats but I wouldn't want to bury it in the
garden. It might encourage more.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote
Not sure of the legality of it, (and not sure I care !) - but both Mum
and Dad's ashes are scattered in the 'wild bit' at the bottom of the
garden they created from a wilderness over a period of about 25 years.

It seemed fitting .....
Regards
Adrian

info here :
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html

Jenny

Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI JennyC

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:16:00 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote
Not sure of the legality of it, (and not sure I care !) - but both Mum
and Dad's ashes are scattered in the 'wild bit' at the bottom of the
garden they created from a wilderness over a period of about 25 years.

It seemed fitting .....
Regards
Adrian

info here :
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html

as in

"Ashes
These can be freely scattered in the garden or buried in a container
eg.under a favourite tree."

....which seems to be remarkably simple & straightforward steps back
in amazement !

FWIW - at the time we did make enquiries of the National Trust for
doing the same thing but on a piece of their coastal headland that was
special to Mum & Dad - and they came back with a raft of
complications.....

And if any of my folks dare to turn me into a diamond, as described
further up this thread' - I'll come back and haunt them.
What a great scheme for separating people from their money !

Adrian

Garden Burial Dave Hill United Kingdom 9 06-01-2008 08:53 PM
Paphiopedilum sanderianum Burial Cave X 5 P Max Orchid Photos 0 21-05-2007 07:00 AM
Sani-Tred coatings.. &..burial vaults for holding tanks ~Roy~ Ponds 2 17-06-2005 01:06 AM
back from vacation and what I found back home J Fortuna Orchids 0 08-08-2004 10:02 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM