Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT troll treatment

Please can someone tell me why blocking certain trolls doesn't work? The
'names' and 'addresses' seem to be the same. It works perfectly for some
and not for others.

--
Sacha

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 22:36:17 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

Please can someone tell me why blocking certain trolls doesn't work? The
'names' and 'addresses' seem to be the same. It works perfectly for some
and not for others.

Sometimes they slightly change the names each time, so you need to examine
the headers very carefully to see what is constant.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/1/08 23:32, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Please can someone tell me why blocking certain trolls doesn't work?
The 'names' and 'addresses' seem to be the same. It works perfectly
for some and not for others.

If you had asked in ukf+d, Paul Martin might have been able to tell you.

I don't think he lurks in here.

Thanks, Anne but I don't want to spread bad news. ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

I suspect if one looked at the propeties one could
spot it but lifes to short!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

and as life is so short and there are so many good things to do or see, I
just ignore them and don't let them wind me up :-))

Why DO people get so worked up about postings, posters, content of postings
and trolls? Ignore them. Be strong!! Take control of your own life and
emotions.

Kindest regards to all

Have a nice day

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Sacha wrote:

Please can someone tell me why blocking certain trolls doesn't work?

Tr*lls
some tr*lls keep name changing, rem the one on f+d? I just include the
email address in the author field so i can see its going to be a troll
before i read the post, then dont. I usually set an expiry date for
any i killfile to avoid buiding a huge killfile of rubbish names.
But of course the thing that works best is ignoring them.

Spammers
Recently there seems to be a flood of people advertising second rate
websites on some ngs, i'm wondering if it would be good to email them
explaining they should **** off as they are only alienating potential
customers

--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike...." wrote in message
..

Spammers
Recently there seems to be a flood of people advertising second rate
websites on some ngs, i'm wondering if it would be good to email them
explaining they should **** off as they are only alienating potential
customers

Complete waste of enegy, a friend works in 'direct marketing' and is
responsible for a goodly potion of the jumnk mail that drops through letter
boxes every day. the % positive response needed to make the exercise
profitable is frigheneingly small. Your complaint would simply demonstrates
that the e-mails are being read and mentally lnked to a company - to the
spammer that is a positive result.

pk

Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article MPG.21ee9b6d5a0ee825989759
@News.Individual.NET, Charlie Pridham says...
In article ,
says...
On 8/1/08 23:32, in article
, "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Please can someone tell me why blocking certain trolls doesn't work?
The 'names' and 'addresses' seem to be the same. It works perfectly
for some and not for others.

If you had asked in ukf+d, Paul Martin might have been able to tell you.

I don't think he lurks in here.

Thanks, Anne but I don't want to spread bad news. ;-(

I find this new newsreader can block cross posting very effectively and I
hardly see any such posts now, it seems they can not resist spreading the
word to as many groups as possible! But like you I can never see why if I
block an indevidual they can reappear the next day but the post looks
identical in source, I suspect if one looked at the propeties one could
spot it but lifes to short!

Ditto. Since switching to the MicroPlanet Gravity
newsreader I hardy see any troll activity. I've simply set
a rule to block posts sent to more than one newsgroup.
Because most trolls can't resist cross posting it is very
effective. The second rule automatically deletes any posts
with offensive language - this too is very effective.
--
David in Normandy
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:57:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

OTOH spammers are committing an offence

Cite?

and somebody in UK should be prosecuting those who originate and/or
route spam from UK.

If only it were that simple. Most spammers utilise botnets, networks of
machines that have poor/no security and have been compromised. The machine
owner probably doesn't even know that his machine is sending spam. Is it
right that he is fined and/or has his machine confiscated?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Jan, 10:21, David in Normandy wrote:
Ditto. Since switching to the MicroPlanet Gravity
newsreader I hardy see any troll activity. I've simply set
a rule to block posts sent to more than one newsgroup.
Because most trolls can't resist cross posting it is very
effective. The second rule automatically deletes any posts
with offensive language - this too is very effective.

Bonne annee David! I think it's everyone's choice and what I've seen
in the last few months are cross posts regarding interesting issues
but not necessarily everybody's cup of tea. If I see a subject with
'squirels, Allan Holmes or CONservation ...' in the title I simply
don't read it because I know it's usually a personnal battle between
some people and even if it was at one time interesting it's now
definitely borring.

By wedging wars against people's freedom of speech we encourage the
'wrong' people to add their rubbish onto posts which started out fine.
I'll agree with Mike there that it's usually best to ignore. I
personnally enjoy reading - and that is reading everything thrown at
me but within the first few lines I either realise that it's been
taken from somewhere else or it's an ongoing saga between individuals.
It only takes a few minutes of my life, and then I stop reading and
move on!

By the way, do you get The Garden mag?! My letter to Ms Greer was
printed. I'm really pleased - I've pledge 2008 to be the year of
community spirit, sustainability and action )
Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Most spammers utilise botnets, networks of
machines that have poor/no security and have been compromised. The machine
owner probably doesn't even know that his machine is sending spam. Is it
right that he is fined and/or has his machine confiscated?

is this true for the current crop of people advertising cheap nikes
etc? The posts lead (necessarily) back to their websites.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:25:23 +0000, Mike... wrote:

is this true for the current crop of people advertising cheap nikes
etc? The posts lead (necessarily) back to their websites.

There is only a tenuious link between the website operator and the
spammer. The web site operator can be a legitimate business providing
e-sales services to clients and may be unaware of the tactics used by some
of their clients to get people to their site. Though to be honest most of
the companies hosting the sales sites are a little of the "don't ask to
many questions" sort.

It is a *very* tangled web out there.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article dfecb25d-e9fc-4819-99d7-a2e1aafe2f56
@k39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...
[...]

Bonne annee! I'm not against free speech, it is more an
issue that there are potentially millions of voices wanting
to be heard. Typically those that have least to say try to
say it to the most people - hence cross-posting. By
eliminating cross posts I find it brings the number of
posts down (almost) to a readable level. However, there are
times when days or even weeks go past and I don't get time
to read any posts on URG.

We don't get any gardening mags here. Occasionally we pick
up a Gardener's World, but not often.

I've had a busy day today trying to get rid of a plague of
moles. Time will tell if I've been successful.
--
David in Normandy
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:03:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:

Is there even a government body dedicated to finding them?
--

Possibly not, but there is a body giving the trolls just what they
want.......... publicity!

When a 'troll thread' such as this starts .... IGNORE IT.

Kind regards

Mike