Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT ISP query

On 10 Jan, 21:55, Martin wrote:
I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week.

My wife has the same problem with wanadoo/orange I suspect one of their ex-staff
sold their customers' e-mail lists or their computers have been hacked.

The standard excuse is "it was a dictionary attack", but my mail
provider, mail.com, and my ISP (f2s) manages to survive those
remarkably well.

whatever sort of email address I set up for my wife is attacked within
a few hours of her starting to use it. I think one of her friends/
business contacts is infected with something that passes on valid
email addresses. I could set up some disposables and do an
elimination test, but it's more than fat and bone can bear. it's all
allegedly my fault, somehow.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin says...
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:24:25 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/1/08 17:59, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
In this instance I ended up with about four of each, including some of the
Junk. I find their service has become very erratic and I think I'm going to
have to do something drastic. All that deters me is that my email addy is
on our brochures and the thought of all the people I'll have to notify!

Best to use an email address associated with your own web
site domain name. That way you own the email address and it
doesn't matter who you use as an ISP or for that matter who
does the web hosting. You can move and change providers as
you like then. I think it may also look more professional
to use an email address that matches the web site domain.

Yes, that's going to be part of the new site that's being built now. Most
of it is done and running but the mail order bits and smaller tweaks still
need doing.

I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week. Odd
thing was I never used that address anyway, so the spammers
could only have got the email address directly from Wanadoo
/ Orange? Perhaps a hacker got in and lifted everyone's
email address. Lots of people were hit at the same time.

I have had over 5k of junk mail since just before Christmas.

I get around 100 a day. Orange.nl provides a service to identify and isolate
junk mail and viruses. None of it gets as far as my PC.

orange.fr now supply a similar feature. However, the odd
spam (1 in 50) still reaches the orange inbox. Since
abandoning the account the only valid email is orange's
monthly bill.

I've only got dial up here in rural France and the Orange
web site is incredibly slow to load (around 2 - 3 minutes)
due to all the high definition advert images, so I rarely
visit orange web mail. Or go and make a coffee while their
site loads! Occasionally I go and tip all the spam into the
junk folder. Knowing Orange, if the amount of spam was
allowed to reach ridiculous proportions they would probably
start charging for extra disk space or do they
automatically delete spam after so long anyway?

I change my main personal, domain based, email address
around once a year if it starts picking up spam. So in
practice spam isn't really a problem for me.

I use a password protected email address for contact via my
web site and for strangers and that completely throws the
spammers.
--
David in Normandy
Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:57:25 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 11/1/08 09:16, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:26:01 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 10/1/08 19:24, in article
,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:43:20 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip
All that deters me is that my email addy is
on our brochures and the thought of all the people I'll have to notify!

Your email address should not be tied to Orange? It looks like a host
address to me. Who is the website host?

Steve

Pass. I know nothing about these things but I'll check. Clara, I think
because Cormaic did the re-design after David Poole's and my son has simply
rebuilt on that AFAIK.

Sacha, I am replying to you about this off the group (prob this afternoon
because I'm just rushing out).

Well, there's an example for you! I've had nothing yet from you,Sally. So
if you've sent it please could you send again. If you haven't because
you're busy, please, sit down, have a cup of tea, relax and then stroll in a
leisurely fashion to your computer....... ;-))

cough
What part of "prob this afternoon" didn't you understand? vbg. Back now,
looking outside at thick SNOW!! Very pretty, but wondering how well stocked
up we are with such vital things as spuds. However, the brandy bottle is
full and we have plenty of logs, so life won't be all bad if we are cut off.
Will email you in a mo.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha, I am replying to you about this off the group (prob this
afternoon
because I'm just rushing out).

Well, there's an example for you! I've had nothing yet from you,Sally.
So
if you've sent it please could you send again. If you haven't because
you're busy, please, sit down, have a cup of tea, relax and then stroll
in a
leisurely fashion to your computer....... ;-))

cough
What part of "prob this afternoon" didn't you understand?

:-))

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/1/08 15:10, in article
, "Sally Thompson"

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:43:20 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip
[...]

It's my birthday - I'm allowed. ;-) Somehow, I read the time on your msg.
and translated it wrongly. No idea how except the phone was ringing, people
were at the door and the dogs were barking like demons. Otherwise,
situation normal! We've just been up to a place on Dartmoor for lunch where
it was 0C and snowing quite well. The moor and some of the stone walls were
just turning white as we drove home - where it was raining! It's
brightening up in the west now, though.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/1/08 14:05, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip
I get around 100 a day. Orange.nl provides a service to identify and isolate
junk mail and viruses. None of it gets as far as my PC.

snip

I cleared out all my mail boxes yesterday. This morning I had 576 'caught'
pieces of junk mail in my Orange junk mail folder. They hadn't reached my
Mail program but of course, they're still taking up space.

OT ISP query Sacha United Kingdom 2 28-11-2007 10:02 PM
Well I'll be....some mods better check their ISP's Tristan Ponds 7 16-12-2006 06:41 PM
[IBC] *****What my ISP thinks of serissa Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 06-12-2003 11:42 PM
Anyone using ATT as ISP TRAINMAN9 Orchids 9 29-07-2003 02:42 PM
Mazda (was Another of Andy Mabbets ISP accounts for trolling) Ophelia United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 09:56 PM