Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT ISP query

Anyone any idea why Orange has suddenly gone berserk and re-sent me all my
emails from mid December onwards, some of them 4 times?!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
Anyone any idea why Orange has suddenly gone berserk and re-sent me all my
emails from mid December onwards, some of them 4 times?!

They must have had a glitch, perhaps had to do a restore
and lost track of what they'd already sent. More concerning
would be any that they have lost. I used to subscribe to a
daily news email from the BBC. On one occasion they sent me
the same email more than 20 times over the course of a few
minutes. Ain't technology wonderful?
--
David in Normandy
Old 10-01-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 10/1/08 16:00, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
Anyone any idea why Orange has suddenly gone berserk and re-sent me all
my
emails from mid December onwards, some of them 4 times?!

They must have had a glitch, perhaps had to do a restore
and lost track of what they'd already sent. More concerning
would be any that they have lost. I used to subscribe to a
daily news email from the BBC. On one occasion they sent me
the same email more than 20 times over the course of a few
minutes. Ain't technology wonderful?

I don't think I've lost anything vital but over Christmas one friend kept
trying to send me emails which bounced time and again. Others were having
no trouble at all.

--
Sacha

Was that person in the same position as me cruising? I had some problems
from time to time with Satellite links on Cunard's Queen Victoria. All
worked out OK in the end though :-))

Kind regards

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
In this instance I ended up with about four of each, including some of the
Junk. I find their service has become very erratic and I think I'm going to
have to do something drastic. All that deters me is that my email addy is
on our brochures and the thought of all the people I'll have to notify!

Best to use an email address associated with your own web
site domain name. That way you own the email address and it
doesn't matter who you use as an ISP or for that matter who
does the web hosting. You can move and change providers as
you like then. I think it may also look more professional
to use an email address that matches the web site domain.

I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week. Odd
thing was I never used that address anyway, so the spammers
could only have got the email address directly from Wanadoo
/ Orange? Perhaps a hacker got in and lifted everyone's
email address. Lots of people were hit at the same time.

--
David in Normandy
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:59:22 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week

Exactly the same here. Account now abandoned and dormant but no
doubt storing up fausands of junk posts.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/08 17:59, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
In this instance I ended up with about four of each, including some of the
Junk. I find their service has become very erratic and I think I'm going to
have to do something drastic. All that deters me is that my email addy is
on our brochures and the thought of all the people I'll have to notify!

Best to use an email address associated with your own web
site domain name. That way you own the email address and it
doesn't matter who you use as an ISP or for that matter who
does the web hosting. You can move and change providers as
you like then. I think it may also look more professional
to use an email address that matches the web site domain.

Yes, that's going to be part of the new site that's being built now. Most
of it is done and running but the mail order bits and smaller tweaks still
need doing.

I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week. Odd
thing was I never used that address anyway, so the spammers
could only have got the email address directly from Wanadoo
/ Orange? Perhaps a hacker got in and lifted everyone's
email address. Lots of people were hit at the same time.

I have had over 5k of junk mail since just before Christmas.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Sacha says...
In this instance I ended up with about four of each, including some of the
Junk. I find their service has become very erratic and I think I'm going to
have to do something drastic. All that deters me is that my email addy is
on our brochures and the thought of all the people I'll have to notify!

Best to use an email address associated with your own web
site domain name. That way you own the email address and it
doesn't matter who you use as an ISP or for that matter who
does the web hosting. You can move and change providers as
you like then. I think it may also look more professional
to use an email address that matches the web site domain.

I've completely abandoned my ISP email address with Wanadoo
/ Orange. I don't know what they did wrong but that address
suddenly started attracting 100's of spams a week.

My wife has the same problem with wanadoo/orange I suspect one of their
ex-staff
sold their customers' e-mail lists or their computers have been hacked.

It seems very likely. Thanks for all the advice everyone. By coincidence
my computer guru rang tonight and will be coming up next week, if not this
w/e.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha, I am replying to you about this off the group (prob this afternoon
because I'm just rushing out).

Well, there's an example for you! I've had nothing yet from you,Sally.
So
if you've sent it please could you send again. If you haven't because
you're busy, please, sit down, have a cup of tea, relax and then stroll in
leisurely fashion to your computer....... ;-))

--
Sacha

????

"" (prob this afternoon because I'm just rushing out).""

?????

Kind regards

Mike

OT ISP query Sacha United Kingdom 2 28-11-2007 10:02 PM
Well I'll be....some mods better check their ISP's Tristan Ponds 7 16-12-2006 06:41 PM
[IBC] *****What my ISP thinks of serissa Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 06-12-2003 11:42 PM
Anyone using ATT as ISP TRAINMAN9 Orchids 9 29-07-2003 02:42 PM
Mazda (was Another of Andy Mabbets ISP accounts for trolling) Ophelia United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 09:56 PM