Old 20-01-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Opinion please

Woolworth are selling "Growmore multi purpose plant food"
3kg box is £1.27.
Has anyone any experience of this product? is it worth buying?

Wally

Old 20-01-2008, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Wally" writes:
| Woolworth are selling "Growmore multi purpose plant food"
| 3kg box is £1.27.
| Has anyone any experience of this product? is it worth buying?

Growmore is the National Standard NPK fertiliser. It works but,
like all general-purpose solutions, is rarely optimal. However,
damn few gardeners are obsessive enough to work out the optimal
fertiliser strategy for each crop in their conditions.

Don't eat more than a handful at once - it will give you a
bellyache :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote
Woolworth are selling "Growmore multi purpose plant food"
3kg box is £1.27.
Has anyone any experience of this product? is it worth buying?

Used by lots of allotment gardeners, standard NPK fertiliser, we have bought
it in 25Kg sacks but that price does seem OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 3:10*pm, Aries wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:29:01 -0000, Wally wrote:
Woolworth are selling "Growmore multi purpose plant food"
3kg box is £1.27.
Has anyone any experience of this product? is it worth buying?

Wally

My father used to swear by it - used it on both his allotments and
always had good crops. Mind you that was years and years ago during and
after the war when folk were encouraged to dig for victory. *I'm
guessing tho that the product is much the same now as it was then.
--
You can't hide your true colours
as you approach the autumn of your life.

Hi Val, welcome to urg, it's a good place to be. Pete also posts here
although I got it wrong about how many years he was posting here. He
used to post as BoyPete and then PeteC and I thought the original Pete
of 15 years ago was him, but I now find it isn't, it's another Pete
entirely so I haven't known PeteC or BoyPete as I said for 15 years, I
was crediting him with the other Pete's posts!

Back to topic, Edward uses Growmore and swears by it for his veggies
and I throw it on the flower beds before growth in Spring.

Judith

Old 20-01-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 5:26*pm, Aries wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:11:00 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:
On Jan 20, 3:10*pm, Aries wrote:
[15 quoted lines suppressed]

Hi Val, welcome to urg, it's a good place to be. *Pete also posts here
although I got it wrong about how many years he was posting here. *He
used to post as BoyPete and then PeteC and I thought the original Pete
of 15 years ago was him, but I now find it isn't, it's another Pete
entirely so I haven't known PeteC or BoyPete as I said for 15 years, I
was crediting him with the other Pete's posts!

Back to topic, Edward uses Growmore and swears by it for his veggies
and I throw it on the flower beds before growth in Spring.

Judith

Thanks for the welcome Judith. *What veggies is Edward planning to grow
this year ?
--
Every path has a few *puddles.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

To everyone on urg, this is Val and no doubt you will hear more from
her. I've only known her since last year but I'm sure you will enjoy
her posts as much as I do.

Edward intends to grow Parsnips, carrotts, sprouts, sping cauliflower,
not autumn, onions and eschallotes, various potatoes, red carrots,
leeks, runner beans and french beans, pumpkin, courgettes, tomatoes
(big nones) ridge cucumber, rutabaga, autumn soup turnips, radish, and
all salad stuff, a melange of leaves, aubergine, peppers, spinach. He
also will plant soft fruit and I will be left with the flowers and
trees to sort out. I am also going to make a new herb bed outside the
kitchen door.

I grew most of my shrubs from cuttings usually with advice from this
group. They often have meets and everyone I have met has been
gracious and helpful. If you want any cuttings, there is one lady on
here, yohooo Janet Tweedy, who sent me huge parcels of lovely stuff.

Although I enjoy gardening, very much, I am, I would think, the least
experienced in the group, but all of the experts here make allowances
for me and as you will find, they really are a great lot. We have two
posters who live in France so even though it is urg, they are
welcoming to all. Stay around Val, you will like the people here, I
promise.

Judith
Old 20-01-2008, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Wally" wrote
Woolworth are selling "Growmore multi purpose plant food"
3kg box is £1.27.
Has anyone any experience of this product? is it worth buying?

Used by lots of allotment gardeners, standard NPK fertiliser, we have
bought it in 25Kg sacks but that price does seem OK.

Forgot to mention, it's an excellent lawn fertiliser too. Found out years
ago when I dropped a sack on the grass and it split. Have used it every year
since in spring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/08 18:17, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:26*pm, Aries wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:11:00 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:
On Jan 20, 3:10*pm, Aries wrote:
[15 quoted lines suppressed]

[...]

snip

Hello to Val and welcome to urg! Hope you enjoy it here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-01-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 7:33*pm, Aries wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:25:26 +0000, Sacha wrote:
On 20/1/08 18:17, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

[26 quoted lines suppressed]

snip

Hello to Val and welcome to urg! *Hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks Sacha. *I took a peek at your website. *You're not so very far
from me so may pop down to visit your place sometime
--
it's not the years in your life that count.
It's the life in your years.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

I will be going to visit Sacha in April and I cannot wait as her place
is famous. Did you see Ray on the t.v. some weeks ago Val?

Judith
Old 20-01-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 7:32*pm, Aries wrote:
I don't have a very large plot here but last year - my first year here -
I grew runner beans, French climing beans, spinach, beetroot, spring
onions, courgettes, tomatoes, aubergine, cucumber, melons, several
varieties of peppers and chillies, mixed lettuce leaves, brocolli,
sprouts, potatoes - erm soft fruit, and we've planted several varieties
of apple, and one pear tree. *

I recall you like cooking, not like me then G

I also grow herbs - mint, rosemary, sage, chives, thyme, oregano, and
parsley. Not bad going for 11 months is it

Now that's something I will grow, I love oregano.

This year I won't plant so much as I've used part of the veggie garden
for a hen run. *But there are only two of us so just we don't need so
much really, but I do love growing things.

Aah someone on this group knows that I wanted an Eglu and has put me
in touch with her cousin, hence when I go to see Sacha, I will be
picking up an Eglu.

I could spend a small fortune at garden centres and often do lol

You will enjoy meeting Ray then, he knows his plants and he has quite
a few plants that are his own "invention". I'm sure that's not the
term I should use but I don't know the real one :-)

I'm sure I will learn a lot here and hopefully be able to contribute a
little too

Thanks Judith

You're welcome, it's a good group and I have made real life friends
here.

Judith

Old 20-01-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/08 21:48, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:

[26 quoted lines suppressed]
snip

Hello to Val and welcome to urg! *Hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks Sacha. *I took a peek at your website. *You're not so very far
from me so may pop down to visit your place sometime
--
it's not the years in your life that count.
It's the life in your years.
http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

I will be going to visit Sacha in April and I cannot wait as her place
is famous. Did you see Ray on the t.v. some weeks ago Val?

Judith

Vis à vis April, Judith - check with me beforehand - only because two
grandchildren are due within ten days of each other. Must be something in
the air!

Old 20-01-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 10:44*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 20/1/08 21:48, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:

[...]

children.'- Hide quoted text -

I know about your grandbabies and know that you will be very busy at
that time, don't worry I will fit in with you. You are so lucky
Sacha, two coming along at the same time. Will you be moving in with
your daughter as this is her first baby? I'll email about my little
terror, he is too spoiled, but I am smitten :-)

Judith
Old 20-01-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 10:44*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 20/1/08 21:48, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:

[...]

As an addendum to this post, Sacha's son and I share the same
birthday, I will be raising a glass to him then.

Judith
Old 20-01-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/08 22:50, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 20, 10:44*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 20/1/08 21:48, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:

[...]

I'll probably go up there for a while at some point but she can come back
here, too, so I think we'll play it pearshaped. I was supposed to go to
Jersey to help with that arrival but I think dil's mother is going to step
in there. But I'll be over there at some point to greet that new arrival.

Old 20-01-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/08 22:51, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 20, 10:44*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 20/1/08 21:48, in article
,

"judith.lea" wrote:

[...]

He'll be here for his birthday this year, so we shall all raise a glass to
you, too. He's treating us to a very luxe few days in London as part of my
January birthday present so that we can visit the First Emperor and the
Tutankhamun exhibitions. In fact, this got me wondering about what
ornamental or food crops would have been grown in China at the time of the
Terracotta Army. I know so little about that period. What did they eat?
What were their staples? And did they have favourite flowering plants. We
associate the peony with China, I think but how far back?