Old 20-01-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When do trees start getting leaves - Norfolk

This is possibly a bit off topic, but still, it's about plants....

I'm trying to approximately date some old photographs, I know they're
from 1966 and they're of places in Norfolk. I had them labelled as
"Easter" which in 1966 was on April 10th. However the trees have no
leaves at all that I can see, is this likely in early April?

I realise things can change considerably between years but I'd like to
know if I'm way out or not.

--
Chris Green
Old 20-01-2008, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 6:22*pm, wrote:
This is possibly a bit off topic, but still, it's about plants....

I'm trying to approximately date some old photographs, I know they're
from 1966 and they're of places in Norfolk. *I had them labelled as
"Easter" which in 1966 was on April 10th. *However the trees have no
leaves at all that I can see, is this likely in early April?

I realise things can change considerably between years but I'd like to
know if I'm way out or not.

--
Chris Green

I lived in Norfolk until Oct 1st this year. I can remember the Summer
of 1966 but I cannot remember Spring. Usually, on the last week of
April our Silver Birch would come into leaf, it was the first tree in
the garden to do so. Hope that helps.

Judith

Juditgh
Old 20-01-2008, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On 20 Jan 2008 18:34:45 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
writes:
[5 quoted lines suppressed]

It was in 1963, but I can't remember what 1966 was like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is this link helpful to you Nick ?
http://www.ecn.ac.uk/ICCUK/indicators/25.htm

Yes! Thank you. It puts the emergence of leaves on Oaks pretty close
to 10th April in 1966 in Kent so it could well have been later in
Norfolk, maybe my pictures really are around Easter.

Thanks again.

--
Chris Green
Old 20-01-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith.lea wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:22*pm, wrote:
This is possibly a bit off topic, but still, it's about plants....

I'm trying to approximately date some old photographs, I know they're
from 1966 and they're of places in Norfolk. *I had them labelled as
"Easter" which in 1966 was on April 10th. *However the trees have no
leaves at all that I can see, is this likely in early April?

I realise things can change considerably between years but I'd like to
know if I'm way out or not.

--
Chris Green

I lived in Norfolk until Oct 1st this year. I can remember the Summer
of 1966 but I cannot remember Spring. Usually, on the last week of
April our Silver Birch would come into leaf, it was the first tree in
the garden to do so. Hope that helps.

That agrees approximately with http://www.ecn.ac.uk/ICCUK/indicators/25.htm,
so it looks like my pictures really were about Easter. Thank you.

--
Chris Green

Old 20-01-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes:
[5 quoted lines suppressed]

It was in 1963, but I can't remember what 1966 was like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is this link helpful to you Nick ?
http://www.ecn.ac.uk/ICCUK/indicators/25.htm

Yes! Thank you. It puts the emergence of leaves on Oaks pretty close
to 10th April in 1966 in Kent so it could well have been later in
Norfolk, maybe my pictures really are around Easter.

Thanks again.

--
Chris Green

One great advantage of Digital Photography, pass your curser over the
picture on your computer and the date and time are there :-))

Mike

Old 21-01-2008, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

writes:
[5 quoted lines suppressed]

It was in 1963, but I can't remember what 1966 was like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is this link helpful to you Nick ?
http://www.ecn.ac.uk/ICCUK/indicators/25.htm

Yes! Thank you. It puts the emergence of leaves on Oaks pretty close
to 10th April in 1966 in Kent so it could well have been later in
Norfolk, maybe my pictures really are around Easter.

Thanks again.

One great advantage of Digital Photography, pass your curser over the
picture on your computer and the date and time are there :-))

Only if the camera's time/date has been set correctly, many (older)
digital camera's lose the time/date every time you change the
batteries.

I must say I was rather pleased to find that my latest digital camera
remembers the time and date for quite a while even with no batteries
so I will no longer suffer from pictures taken on or close after
01/01/2000! :-)

--
Chris Green
Old 21-01-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

writes:
[5 quoted lines suppressed]

It was in 1963, but I can't remember what 1966 was like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is this link helpful to you Nick ?
http://www.ecn.ac.uk/ICCUK/indicators/25.htm

Yes! Thank you. It puts the emergence of leaves on Oaks pretty close
to 10th April in 1966 in Kent so it could well have been later in
Norfolk, maybe my pictures really are around Easter.

Thanks again.

One great advantage of Digital Photography, pass your curser over the
picture on your computer and the date and time are there :-))

Only if the camera's time/date has been set correctly, many (older)
digital camera's lose the time/date every time you change the

Euuwww, where did that apostrophe come from?! :-)