Old 24-01-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another plant ID please

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it
is, but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Cheers

Mike
Old 24-01-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message
Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it is,
but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Sarcococca confusa, sweet box?

Old 24-01-2008, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Russel Sprout wrote:
"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it is,
but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Sarcococca confusa, sweet box?

Certainly looks the part! Thank you very much!
Old 24-01-2008, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 24, 9:53*pm, Mike Hibbert wrote:
Russel Sprout wrote:
"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message
k...

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it is,
but it smells so familiar
Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.
http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Sarcococca confusa, sweet box?

Certainly looks the part! Thank you very much!

Yes! Funny you said it smells familiar - I've been given one at xmas
and it lives in a pot on the porch. The other day I smelt a very
familiar scent which brought me back to my childhood. Took me ages to
figure it out - it was the sarcococca and it had conjured up my old
piano teacher. It smells of face powder and is very musky, like an old
french perfume ) She'd be 120 years old now ...!
Old 24-01-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/1/08 19:23, in article ,
"Mike Hibbert" wrote:

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it
is, but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Sarcocca and probably S. confusa as it's the most usually grown. I hope
this is for a happy memory, Mike but if it is or it isn't, it will
undoubtedly strike a chord always. It's very strongly scented and one sprig
of it will fill a room with scent. It's known also as Christmas Box and
it's a winter flowering plant that is to be highly recommended, IMO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-01-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 19:23, in article ,
"Mike Hibbert" wrote:

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it
is, but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Sarcocca and probably S. confusa as it's the most usually grown. I hope
this is for a happy memory, Mike but if it is or it isn't, it will
undoubtedly strike a chord always. It's very strongly scented and one sprig
of it will fill a room with scent. It's known also as Christmas Box and
it's a winter flowering plant that is to be highly recommended, IMO.

~Thanks All, sadly it's not a heppy memory, but we will plant one and
remember the good times.

Thanks to all that helped.
Old 26-01-2008, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/1/08 17:37, in article
, "Mike Hibbert"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 19:23, in article ,
"Mike Hibbert" wrote:

Hi folks,

We caught the scent of this and found it on our way into the hospital
today, and would love to buy one as a memory. We have no idea what it
is, but it smells so familiar.

Any ideas? It has very dark berrys.

http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/images/plant001.jpg

Sarcocca and probably S. confusa as it's the most usually grown. I hope
this is for a happy memory, Mike but if it is or it isn't, it will
undoubtedly strike a chord always. It's very strongly scented and one sprig
of it will fill a room with scent. It's known also as Christmas Box and
it's a winter flowering plant that is to be highly recommended, IMO.

~Thanks All, sadly it's not a heppy memory, but we will plant one and
remember the good times.

Thanks to all that helped.

I hope it brings comfort and as you say, a memory of the good times. I'm
very sorry to read this, Mike.

Old 26-01-2008, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 26/1/08 17:37, in article
, "Mike Hibbert"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 24/1/08 19:23, in article ,
"Mike Hibbert" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, it's amazing to think that I get such support from people I have
never met, I'm very humbled.

Mike
Old 26-01-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 6:52*pm, Mike Hibbert wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 26/1/08 17:37, in article
, "Mike Hibbert"

[...]