Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
conkbrite

Default sick azalia

We planted an azalea last season in a rather shady spot; peat was mixed in
with the neutral to slightly acidic soil.
It is just starting to flower, but is not too happy, and in particular has
some leaves going yellow with black/brown patches (looks rather like black
spot). Does anyone know the problem (and the cure)? Thanks.

David B
Valanec
29460 HANVEC
(Western Brittany)

Old 21-04-2003, 02:09 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Just off the top of my head I would say not enough water. Does that sound
feasible?

"conkbrite" wrote in message
: We planted an azalea last season in a rather shady spot; peat was mixed in
: with the neutral to slightly acidic soil.
: It is just starting to flower, but is not too happy, and in particular has
: some leaves going yellow with black/brown patches (looks rather like black
: spot). Does anyone know the problem (and the cure)? Thanks.
:
: David B
: Valanec
: 29460 HANVEC
: (Western Brittany)
:
:

Old 21-04-2003, 02:35 PM
conkbrite

We are six weeks into a drought here (never heard of before!). However,
other people's azaleas are blooming. Yes, water may be the problem.

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...

Old 21-04-2003, 07:08 PM
The Devil's Advocate

May be as it is a newish introduction to the garden it needs a bit more tlc
than an established plant

"conkbrite" wrote in message
: We are six weeks into a drought here (never heard of before!). However,
: other people's azaleas are blooming. Yes, water may be the problem.
:
: "The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
: message ...
: Just off the top of my head I would say not enough water. Does that
sound
: feasible?
:
:
: "conkbrite" wrote in message
: ...
: : We planted an azalea last season in a rather shady spot; peat was
mixed
: in
: : with the neutral to slightly acidic soil.
: : It is just starting to flower, but is not too happy, and in particular
: has
: : some leaves going yellow with black/brown patches (looks rather like
: black
: : spot). Does anyone know the problem (and the cure)? Thanks.
: :
: : David B
: : Valanec
: : 29460 HANVEC
: : (Western Brittany)
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old 21-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:12:38 +0200, "conkbrite"
wrote:

We are six weeks into a drought here (never heard of before!). However,
other people's azaleas are blooming. Yes, water may be the problem.

Probably not got it's roots out of the original root-ball and into the
surrounding soil yet. Give it a good soaking. OTOH azalea leaves can
be a bit tired at the end of the winter, and new ones don't appear
until after it's flowered.

--
Chris

Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Adrian Jones

I had similar last year. Turns out it was vine weevil and the plant died.
Check the soil very carefully to see if you see any grubs.

Azalia bill Garden Photos 0 08-07-2008 05:42 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Gardening 25 05-08-2007 07:19 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-07-2007 08:36 PM
[IBC] Two Questions....Azalia and Mealybugs [email protected] Bonsai 4 05-02-2005 05:11 PM