Old 29-01-2008, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thinking about Eucalyptus

I'd like to suggest Eucalyptus perriniana to those looking for an attractive
Eucalyptus. It was David Poole who first told me about it for the house I
had before I married Ray and David suggested it as a hedge. It was coming
here to get them that led to me marrying Ray. I duly planted them and my
then gardener chopped their tops off much too soon and they struggled for
quite a long time! However, I went past the house a couple of weeks ago
and they've made a very handsome hedge and look elegant after that shaky
start. It has perfoliate leaves and is very hardy.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:53:54 +0000
Sacha wrote:

I'd like to suggest Eucalyptus perriniana to those looking for an attractive
Eucalyptus. It was David Poole who first told me about it for the house I
had before I married Ray and David suggested it as a hedge. It was coming
here to get them that led to me marrying Ray. I duly planted them and my
then gardener chopped their tops off much too soon and they struggled for
quite a long time! However, I went past the house a couple of weeks ago
and they've made a very handsome hedge and look elegant after that shaky
start. It has perfoliate leaves and is very hardy.

I've had this one in the ground for 2 summers now. The first year it grew about
8 feet! Last summer it just sat there, maybe a foot of growth. It's now starting
to put on some mature leaf growth as the "spinning" leaves die on lower
branches, and I'm pretty sure it will bloom this spring.

I'd like to see it get some more height though, do you think I ought to fertilize?

cheers,

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 29-01-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Hard for me to say because I wasn't in that house long enough for it to be
an issue. I was told that one likes fertile soil, however. I'm sure someone
will correct me if I'm wrong.
BUT IIRC, the late and sadly gone Eucalyptus Nurseries in Wales recommended
2 years as being the right time to stool this variety to make it bush out
more and make more of a hedge. IIRC, and depending on situation it can grow
anything from 12' to 30', which doesn't help much with regard to final
height.
I've stumbled across a functioning site for Eucalyptus Nurseries but only
for info not for sales. There is a box explaining this is due to untimely
and tragic death of the owner. It's a valuable source of information.
http://www.blueram.net/eucalyptus/our_plants.asp