Old 31-01-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default allotment gardening

anybody want to let me know how its going on your patch
Old 31-01-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dahliaman.wrote
anybody want to let me know how its going on your patch

Too wet and muddy to do anything other than continue to crop the Sprouts,
Winter Tundra cabbage, the Savoys, Leeks, and Parsnips.
Should be getting two loads of well rotted horse manure delivered this
weekend but the weather does not look promising for spreading that lot over
next seasons potato/squash plot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-01-2008, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

dahliaman.wrote
anybody want to let me know how its going on your patch

Too wet and muddy to do anything other than continue to crop the (snip)
Leeks, and Parsnips.

I took SWMBO up there last week, she sank.

And now, after threatening for the last two years, work has commenced
towards connecting the adjoining houses to mains sewerage. What this means
in practice is that I have to park down the bottom end of the site and walk
up because the track to the top end has been ripped to shreds by their
trucks and a JCB. Oh, and when I'm in the greenhouse, the bucket of said JCB
is about 12" from my head, excavating an enormous hole on the allotment next
to mine. They're going to tunnel their pipe under my G/H and under the rest
of my allotment, and later some other contractors will come and dig two
"connection pits" on my plot to join up to the pipe they're laying now.
Doubtless this will involve more track shredding and destruction. Apart from
all that, everything is just peachy.

Steve

Old 31-01-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
"Bob Hobden"wrote in message
dahliaman.wrote
[...]

Keep an eye on them Steve, the Water Co put a large high pressure main
through our old allotment site and mysteriously a lot of our rich topsoil
disappeared, one of our number calculated from the drop in levels that there
were a considerable number of lorry loads taken. The stuff they brought back
afterwards wasn't enough to level the site and suddenly we had Japanese Knot
Weed on the site too.

Good topsoil is a saleable commodity, be wary.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Jan, 11:40, "
wrote:
anybody want to let me know how its going on your patch

I am waiting for a new Rhubarb and wondered what I'd put at the bottom
of it before planting and where to put it - I had a good sign really,
I arrived at the lotty to find what looked like the remnents of a
feast from our local foxes, a huge dead magpie and several bones
(which looked like lamb to me). So I've burried the lot, lots of om,
and I'll put the rhubarb just where I've found the lot.

The foxes had two cubs - I saw them playing in the sunshine -
lovely )

New Allotment Gardening series Bob Hobden United Kingdom 2 03-03-2014 01:23 PM
Allotment gardening is relaxing!!! Bob Hobden[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2011 11:40 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM
New Allotment Simon Diaz United Kingdom 6 19-12-2002 11:03 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM