Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Providers

On 1/2/08 16:12, in article ,
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 1/2/08 14:41, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:49:10 +0000, ¢ - wrote:

I've used Talktalk for 7 months.
No problems at all and regularly get about 3.8 - 4.0 kbps.

If that is an ADSL service complain bitterly, dialup is faster.

My ADSL runs at 5Mbps, actual throughput, sync rates vary from 3 to 7 Mbps
depending on the time of day the sync takes place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

On this comparison site, Zen comes out really well. My IT techie advised me
to sign up for this and I'm doing so.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

Zen is marvellous. In four or so years we've only had one day without
internet access.

I was impressed this morning that when I rang the number given to help
enquirers, I got straight through to a real live person. And he was in UK
*and* he gave me his name and a direct dial number to his desk if I needed
more help.
Eclipse came out well in comparisons, too but Zen seem to have the edge.
OTOH, Orange, who I am quitting, yesterday filled my Mailbox with hundreds
of defunct emails, going back to before Christmas, for the second time.
Plus they gave me a totally wrong non-existent MAC, having sent me two
emails saying "Here's your MAC", which were empty! And when I rang them I
got a call centre in India, where I spoke to a perfectly nice young woman
but whom I had great difficulty in understanding. She gave me the correct
MAC but somehow, I really do doubt her name was truly Erica......
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:41:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:49:10 +0000, ¢ - wrote:

I've used Talktalk for 7 months.
No problems at all and regularly get about 3.8 - 4.0 kbps.

If that is an ADSL service complain bitterly, dialup is faster.

My ADSL runs at 5Mbps, actual throughput, sync rates vary from 3 to 7 Mbps
depending on the time of day the sync takes place.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant, of course, 3.8-4.0 Mbps, which ain't bad.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:49:40 +0000, Broadback wrote:

mark wrote:
[16 quoted lines suppressed]

To a large extent it is horses for courses, but I would not use
Tiscali or TalkTalk, friends have had very bad experiences with both. Go
to DSL ZONEUK, click on the ISP Ratings box on the left, that may well
help you
to decide. I use IDNet, though not the cheapest, it is the most reliable
and the best support I have encountered, having fled here from PlusNet.

I still back PlusNet tho, their support blokes often post in newsgroups
when they see a query they can respond to.
--
You can never change anybody's mind.
What you can change is only your own mind.

Thanks for all the information you have all plied me with. All I have to do
now is do as that Student did on University Challenge many years ago. As
they were going along the row introducing themselves, "Fred Bloggs from
Coventry reading Biology", Peter Pratt from Leeds reading Aeronautical
Engineering", "John Smith from London reading Furiously" :-))

I liked it :-)

Mike
From a Sunny but cold South East corner of the Isle of Wight

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British
Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Don't know about Virgin but I know people with TT and Tiscalli
and they seem to be total rubbish and very unreliable.

I started off with Freeserve who changed to Wannado and has now
become Orange, although they are not the cheapest ISP in the world
I have been very satisfied with them for about 15 years with no problems
at all.
Worth thinking about and paying the little bit extra.
HTH

Wally

Anyone thinking of changing their broadband supplier needs to read this
web page. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ They are an absolute fount
of information and can tell you anything you want to know about the ISP
of your chooice.
I would certainly warn anyone off using Tiscali. They are bad news.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1ibn463.a0njmq1es9t4lN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
Wally wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Peter

I believe that link has been recommended before, but nevertheless I have
copied and posted it into my file for further study and reading. Lot's to
read and I will sort something out this weekend :-)

Thanks everybody. AND those who emailed me 'cos they dare not say things on
line here ;-))

Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 1/2/08 16:12, in article
,
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote:

In article ,
says...

On this comparison site, Zen comes out really well. My IT techie advised me
to sign up for this and I'm doing so.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

Zen is marvellous. In four or so years we've only had one day without
internet access.

I was impressed this morning that when I rang the number given to help
enquirers, I got straight through to a real live person. And he was in UK
*and* he gave me his name and a direct dial number to his desk if I needed
more help.

One reason I like Zen is that they're based relatively locally to me so
if things do go shaky we can look out of the window and decide that the
torrential rain may have something to do with it!
--
Linz
Wet Yorks
Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:31:23 -0000, Amethyst Deceiver
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:37:45 -0000, Amethyst Deceiver
wrote:

One reason I like Zen is that they're based relatively locally to me so
if things do go shaky we can look out of the window and decide that the
torrential rain may have something to do with it!

LOL it isn't for nothing that Wet Yorkshire was a potential site for TV signal
propagation through heavy rain experiments

Taking the downpour of July 2006 into consideration,

& 2007?

I'm talking about one particular day. I think it was the 6th. It was a
Sunday, definitely, because we watched the clouds gathering as we were
getting ready to watch the grand prix. OldBloke said "It's going to
pour, and I bet it starts just as the race does and the signal goes".
I'm glad I didn't bet against him, because the lights on the race went
off, the cars started, the heavens opened and the telly showed static
until we switched back to analogue. The rain was so hard we couldn't see
the houses over the road; it came in over the top of the door and we
spent half the race mopping the kitchen, and my poor vegetable patch was
flattened - the potatoes were especially sad!

It came down so hard on the tops that one of the culverts got blocked
with rocks and exploded.

http://www.davebudd.org.uk/flood/ - about halfway down you can see my
poor potatoes.

It was July 2nd, I've just checked.