Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Providers

Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British Telecom
for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:46:26 -0000, "'Mike'" wrote:

Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British Telecom
for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Someone posted this
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...commit=Compare

You also have to read loads of personal experiences and look at
contracts.
From what I know of personal experience tiscali are rubbish. And
they're hard to get rid of. My dad spent a month without internet
arguing the toss as to why their system wasn't working - there was an
obvious fault on their equipment which stopped him connecting.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:46:26 -0000, "'Mike'" wrote:

Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British
Telecom
for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Someone posted this
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...commit=Compare

You also have to read loads of personal experiences and look at
contracts.
From what I know of personal experience tiscali are rubbish. And
they're hard to get rid of. My dad spent a month without internet
arguing the toss as to why their system wasn't working - there was an
obvious fault on their equipment which stopped him connecting.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Thanks for that mogga. I have taken a note of your links.

Funny you say that about Tiscalli because even though I have heard fairly
'satisfied' reports, one of my daughters had a lot of trouble with them on a
similar tale to your Dad's.

Best wishes and thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British
Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Don't know about Virgin but I know people with TT and Tiscalli
and they seem to be total rubbish and very unreliable.

I started off with Freeserve who changed to Wannado and has now
become Orange, although they are not the cheapest ISP in the world
I have been very satisfied with them for about 15 years with no problems
at all.
Worth thinking about and paying the little bit extra.
HTH

Wally

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over
ISP's. It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with
British Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Don't know about Virgin but I know people with TT and Tiscalli
and they seem to be total rubbish and very unreliable.

I started off with Freeserve who changed to Wannado and has now
become Orange, although they are not the cheapest ISP in the world
I have been very satisfied with them for about 15 years with no problems
at all.
Worth thinking about and paying the little bit extra.
HTH

Wally

Thanks Wally

Cost is not the issue, I don't mind paying top price for top service,
reliability and back up is more of an issue. I hate talking to someone in
India. I want to speak to someone here!!

Thanks for the tips but I have reaped quite a few comments on Tiscalli :-(((

Best wishes

Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over
ISP's. It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with
British Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Those you mention are all pretty rubbish. Remember......you get what you pay
for............generally.
Have a look at http://www.idnet.net/ Phones answered by a human quickly,
efficient service. They only work office hours, but I've not had a problem
with that.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over
ISP's. It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with
British Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

Anyone done a survey? Would I be better to change my ISP?

Mike

Those you mention are all pretty rubbish. Remember......you get what you
pay for............generally.
Have a look at http://www.idnet.net/ Phones answered by a human quickly,
efficient service. They only work office hours, but I've not had a problem
with that.
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete thanks for that.

I agree you get what you pay for and I am quite prepared to pay for good
service and I DO LIKE the bit about phones being answered by humans.
Question :-( Are they in this country???

Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Yes, Letchworth, Herts. Have a browse around their site
I have the 30Gb package cos my son does a lot of online gaming.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:46:26 -0000, "'Mike'" wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over ISP's.
It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with British Telecom
for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Any comments anyone?

I've used Talktalk for 7 months.
No problems at all and regularly get about 3.8 - 4.0 kbps.

Comments I've heard from others include (not from my personal
experience)

Tiscali= problems

Sky= reasonable

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Wally

Cost is not the issue, I don't mind paying top price for top service,
reliability and back up is more of an issue. I hate talking to someone in
India. I want to speak to someone here!!

Thanks for the tips but I have reaped quite a few comments on Tiscalli
:-(((

Best wishes

Mike

If you are considering TT Mike, worth having a read here

http://paler.com/forums/message-view?message_id=4857

Wally

Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:49:10 +0000, ¢ - wrote:

I've used Talktalk for 7 months.
No problems at all and regularly get about 3.8 - 4.0 kbps.

If that is an ADSL service complain bitterly, dialup is faster.

My ADSL runs at 5Mbps, actual throughput, sync rates vary from 3 to 7 Mbps
depending on the time of day the sync takes place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 'Mike' wrote:

Had quite a lot of email conversations with friends last night over
ISP's. It would appear that I am not getting the best of deals with
British Telecom for Telephone and Broadband connections

It seems Virgin, TalkTalk and Tiscalli are better.

Cost is not the issue, I don't mind paying top price for top service,
reliability and back up is more of an issue.

Then you could do worse than Demon. Not the cheapest but I've had little
trouble with them in thirteen years.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk