Old 16-02-2008, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cabbage Root Fly control

I see they've stopped selling the milky pesticide (can't remember the name)
that you diluted with water and then dipped root for 10 mins. I know you can
get discs of some sort, but I'll be planting 100 assorted brassicas. I'm not
as to the effectiveness of these. Any alternatives?

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Old 16-02-2008, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
I see they've stopped selling the milky pesticide (can't remember the name)
that you diluted with water and then dipped root for 10 mins. I know you
can get discs of some sort, but I'll be planting 100 assorted brassicas.
I'm not as to the effectiveness of these. Any alternatives?

Bertie

I converted fully last year to using shed felt cut into squares and put
around the base of the plant at planting out time. The shed felt is quite
reasonable at the large diy store. I cut it into squares about 4" x 4"with a
slit in the middle to half way and put two around the base of each plant,
inserting them so that the bottom slit is covered by the top one. Works a
treat.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 16-02-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
I see they've stopped selling the milky pesticide (can't remember the
name) that you diluted with water and then dipped root for 10 mins. I know
you can get discs of some sort, but I'll be planting 100 assorted
brassicas. I'm not as to the effectiveness of these. Any alternatives?

Bertie

I converted fully last year to using shed felt cut into squares and put
around the base of the plant at planting out time. The shed felt is quite
reasonable at the large diy store. I cut it into squares about 4" x 4"with
a slit in the middle to half way and put two around the base of each
plant, inserting them so that the bottom slit is covered by the top one.
Works a treat.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Thanks Robert, I'll be give Trago Mills or Saltash a bash in the next week
or so. That's assuming it's not too early for onion sets and potato seed.

Bertie

Old 17-02-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Similarly I cut length of damp proof course rolls into approx 4"
lengths, cut into them about 2 inches then used 2 for each plant. Easy,
worked and am re-using some three years old.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Broadback. Three years you say, now that's my kind of language. Is it
a sort of waxed material, similar to Robert's roof felt?

Bertie