Old 12-07-2003, 03:32 PM
miklol

Default cabbage root fly

My radish (and possibly carrots) have been affected by cabbage root fly and
my ref. book suggests I should spray with a nematode based insecticide. Can
anyone suggest a brand? Also can I replant using derris or anything else,
when I will cover with enviromesh(better late----)

Old 12-07-2003, 06:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I think your carrots may have carrot root fly. Have the leaves gone a
reddish tinge, and the carrots have little drill holes through them? Radish
don't usually suffer from anything like that as they're hardly in the ground
long enough but the do get flea beetle which gives them lots of holes in the
early leaves. I'm not entirely sure about the nematode spray, I thought that
was more active in a greenhouse but someone else may know better. When I sow
my seeds I put a puffer around, can't remember the name but it'll be in the
shops. Not worked too well with the carrots this year as they are showing
signs of carrot fly and so are some parsnips. The solution must be to put
this fleece right around them which I will try next year all being well.
There is always an idea going around that if you put a foot high physical
barrier around them that this will stop the fly but that doesn't work either
I find

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk