Old 25-02-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar: a systemic herbicide?

On 24/2/08 23:21, in article ,
"Zhang DaWei" wrote:

On 24 Feb 2008 13:26:50 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...] You shouldn't take so much notice of the New
Age Merkins

Not a comment to be made in the company of a group of wig makers, I
presume...

That one's going to go 'whoosh' with all too many..... ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-02-2008, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/08 10:27, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 24/2/08 23:21, in article ,
| "Zhang DaWei" wrote:
|
| [...] You shouldn't take so much notice of the New
| Age Merkins
|
| Not a comment to be made in the company of a group of wig makers, I
| presume...
|
| That one's going to go 'whoosh' with all too many..... ;-))

Indeed. Has anyone here ever SEEN a merkin (without the capital)?
I haven't :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nor have I - but would we admit it if we had?!

Old 25-02-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Indeed. Has anyone here ever SEEN a merkin (without the capital)?
| I haven't :-)
|
| Nor have I - but would we admit it if we had?!

Well, there are such things as museums :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-02-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/08 11:23, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Indeed. Has anyone here ever SEEN a merkin (without the capital)?
| I haven't :-)
|
| Nor have I - but would we admit it if we had?!

Well, there are such things as museums :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The mind boggles - what do you get up to in your spare time! ;-)

Old 25-02-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Granity wrote:
Why should the use of vinegar as a weed killer be considered organic?
It's a chemical just as much as Glyphosate or NPK fertiliser is, just
because you put it on your chips doesn't make it organic.

I understand that vinegar was traditionally made from natural products,
wine amongst them. However, today it is possible to buy vinegar which
is made entirely synthetically. In the case of the former I understand
that provided the vinegar is not made too strongly it actually serves as
nourishment for the microbial life within soil. Whether modern
synthetically-manufactured vinegar does the same, I am not sure.

What is pertinent in my case is that vinegar of either kind sprayed onto
foliage does not reach and kill the roots.

Eddy.

Old 25-02-2008, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Why don't you forget about using vinegar as a systemic herbicide and instead use
it for pickling your vegetables?

Thank you, Martin. If you observe the dates of earlier postings you
will see that I decided not to pursue using vinegar. You're right to
suggest it for pickling though. In fact, today, in a bookshop, I saw a
book ENTIRELY devoted to explaining over 50 different uses for vinegar!
A most versatile liquid it seems!

Eddy.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar as herbicide - the final word.

Just to put it on record for future reference . . .

I have had word from a scientist working for USDA, the United States
Department of Agriculture, that in their investigations of vinegar they
have found it comparable in effectiveness to herbicides like paraquat,
but it does not act systemically and so will not kill roots. They
advise that the "safest" root-killing herbicide that exists is
glyphosate.

Eddy.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:

| I have had word from a scientist working for USDA, the United States
| Department of Agriculture, that in their investigations of vinegar they
| have found it comparable in effectiveness to herbicides like paraquat,
| but it does not act systemically and so will not kill roots. They
| advise that the "safest" root-killing herbicide that exists is
| glyphosate.

That's a pretty damning indictment of paraquat! There are plenty
of effective, non-persistent defoliants, including ammonia, brine and
sodium chlorate. Note that the latter two are non-persistent in UK
conditions, but not always in USA ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
That's a pretty damning indictment of paraquat!

Nick, to view it from another angle, I understand that their experiments
have demonstrated that strong vinegar is surprisingly effective as a
defoliant.

Regards,
Eddy.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 25, 10:40*pm, David Rance
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 *Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 24/2/08 23:21, in article ,
| "Zhang DaWei" wrote:
|
| [...] You shouldn't take so much notice of the New
| Age Merkins
|
| Not a comment to be made in the company of a group of wig makers, I
| presume...
|
| That one's going to go 'whoosh' with all too many..... *;-))

Indeed. *Has anyone here ever SEEN a merkin (without the capital)?
I haven't :-)

I should hope not!

Try googling for "merkin" and you might have a surprise. Complete with
illustrations! *Well, not you, Nick, *because you are an educated man.
;-)

David

Ahem. I have just been er... educated.

Cat(h)
Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 3:41*pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:02:42 GMT, Eddy
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
That's a pretty damning indictment of paraquat! *

Nick, to view it from another angle, I understand that their experiments
have demonstrated that strong vinegar is surprisingly effective as a
defoliant.

Good on chips too.
--

Martin

Far better raspberry flavoured or balsamic, with a splash of good
quality extra virgin olive oil, over mixed young leaves freshly picked
from the garden.
And don't dress too soon before serving, as vinegar is highly
efficient as a systemic leaf-wilter.

Cat(h)
Old 05-03-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
That's a pretty damning indictment of paraquat! *

Nick, to view it from another angle, I understand that their experiments
have demonstrated that strong vinegar is surprisingly effective as a
defoliant.

Good on chips too.

Far better raspberry flavoured or balsamic, with a splash of good
quality extra virgin olive oil, over mixed young leaves freshly picked
from the garden.
And don't dress too soon before serving, as vinegar is highly
efficient as a systemic leaf-wilter.

Always eat chips with mayonnaise in a state undress to avoid wilting.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Is this where the merkin gets handy?

I could not help it, your honour.