Old 27-02-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato pots

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

JT

Old 27-02-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:19:30 GMT, "John T"
wrote:

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

I used a bag (sold for the purpose) to grow potatoes on my patio last
year. I had a huge amount of leafy growth, which took up a lot of
space and used a lot of soil, but produced a very disappointing crop.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-02-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

I used a bag (sold for the purpose) to grow potatoes on my patio last
year. I had a huge amount of leafy growth, which took up a lot of
space and used a lot of soil, but produced a very disappointing crop.

Pam in Bristol

Did it allow for earthing up?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Old 27-02-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:39:42 -0000, Amethyst Deceiver
wrote and included this (or some of this):

The bags I've bought do, certainly. Last year I used three potato tubs
and three compost bags. The harvest wasn't wonderful, but the weather
didn't help. This year I'll be using three potato tubs and three potato
bags - because the compost bags just looked like I'd left the rubbish in
the garden, rather than an intentional growing medium.

I buy very cheap plastic buckets at Focus or somewhere
(Ususally about 50p)

Drill a couple of drainage holes in the base, plant up and away.
I've been lucky with good yields. Started a couple of buckets off a
week ago and they're happy in the greenhouse for now.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 28-02-2008, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John T" wrote in message
o.uk...
thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

I had fair results with big green plastic pots from Dobies until the blight
struck. They seem to have insufficient drainage so this year I will drill
some big holes in the bottoms. They seemed expensive and probably are but
they are bigger than plastic buckets or any ordinary pot.

Tim w

Old 29-02-2008, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:19:30 GMT, John T wrote:

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

Stack of 3 old Land Rover tyres (255/85R18, so about 10" wide each one)
was pressed into use last year. I think we got more potatoes out than we
planted but it wasn't a huge crop. However the "seed" was old supermarket
eating spuds rather than a true seed potatoe and the compost was the
previous years tomatoe bags and one bag of new peat free compost.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 29-02-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:19:30 GMT, John T wrote:

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

Stack of 3 old Land Rover tyres (255/85R18, so about 10" wide each one)
was pressed into use last year. I think we got more potatoes out than we
planted but it wasn't a huge crop. However the "seed" was old supermarket
eating spuds rather than a true seed potatoe and the compost was the
previous years tomatoe bags and one bag of new peat free compost.

roftl, tyres, roftl. I have harvested 2 potato tyre stacks so far this
summer.

What a waste of time. Both occasions a measly handful of potatos. Much leafy
growth and proper earthing up by me as they grew. 6 tyres high the stack
went. I needent have bothered going past one. Saved myself tyres & compost.

I have 2 more stacks to dig. Unless they are any better I will forget tyres
stacks I reckon. The tyres are going back to the tyre dealer I 'borrowed'
them from.

rob

Old 29-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

I've used buckets with drilled holes, earthed up as far as poss: lots of leaf, small crop.

I've used compost bags (Amethyst, if you turn them inside out they don't look as bad), earthed up as they grew, lots of foliage, small crop.

Planted in ground: big crop, but took up all the available veg bed.

Moral of story: spuds need a lot of space!

Also, word of warning: growing stuff on the patio is all well and good but at some point you have to turn it out, so you either need an area of earth on which to make a mess (in which case, plant the spuds there!) or you have to spread out a tarpaulin first, and take care to pick up every speck of dirt or it stains the patio for weeks.

Do you really not have a bed somewhere that you could turn over to growing spuds?
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales

Old 29-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Registered User

Location: In a shed
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags

JT
Wood personnally recommend a tin.
Gets the job done.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

just dug over a tyre stack. 6 tyres high, 4 potatos. Disaster.

rob

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 07:02, "George.com" wrote:

just dug over a tyre stack. 6 tyres high, 4 potatos. Disaster.

rob- Hide quoted text -

"Disaster"?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On 1 Mar, 07:02, "George.com" wrote:

just dug over a tyre stack. 6 tyres high, 4 potatos. Disaster.

rob- Hide quoted text -

"Disaster"?

worse yet, dug over the 4th & last tyre stack. 5 tryes high, 2 small potatos
smaller than your thumb nail. 2!!!!

I could have simply eaten the seed spuds I used in each tyre stack & had
better results than using tyres.

I conclude growing spuds in tyres is a waste of time. From now on, in the
ground.

Good job I don't have to live on what I grow. Hope my crop of sweet potatos
is better.

rob

Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:58:07 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

wrote in message
On 1 Mar, 07:02, "George.com" wrote:

just dug over a tyre stack. 6 tyres high, 4 potatos. Disaster.

rob- Hide quoted text -

"Disaster"?

worse yet, dug over the 4th & last tyre stack. 5 tryes high, 2 small potatos
smaller than your thumb nail. 2!!!!

I could have simply eaten the seed spuds I used in each tyre stack & had
better results than using tyres.

I conclude growing spuds in tyres is a waste of time. From now on, in the
ground.

Good job I don't have to live on what I grow. Hope my crop of sweet potatos
is better.

rob

So what causes the problems? Is it watering?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk