Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Our allotment

Is utterly and absolutely destroyed.

After weeks of work going on nearby without impacting directly on us, the
pipe boring thingy they were putting underneath us got stuck, and to rescue
it, they brought the biggest JCB in the world and ripped up just about every
inch of the plot.

Grinning gibbons standing about smirking and taking the
P1ss while I went ballistic. All our overwintered stuff gone in an instant,
and the soil will be trashed for years. And what do I get from Wessex Water?
"We'll compensate you" Yeah right, how are they going to compensate me for
six years work, and all the work to come? Abstrads.

Steve

Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:51:34 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Is utterly and absolutely destroyed.

After weeks of work going on nearby without impacting directly on us, the
pipe boring thingy they were putting underneath us got stuck, and to rescue
it, they brought the biggest JCB in the world and ripped up just about every
inch of the plot.

Grinning gibbons standing about smirking and taking the
P1ss while I went ballistic. All our overwintered stuff gone in an instant,
and the soil will be trashed for years. And what do I get from Wessex Water?
"We'll compensate you" Yeah right, how are they going to compensate me for
six years work, and all the work to come? Abstrads.

Steve

My thoughts are with you. I had a garden trashed by workman in a
dumper truck who'd been specifically told to avoid it.

I had kept meticulous notes on what I'd planted over the two years I'd
had it (virtually no photos, but the workman boss had seen it before
it got run over) - I got the garden redone and replanted with new
plants.

What I suggest you do is write down everything you'd got in there.
Tell them you want it putting back as was. For the plants they can't
get right now you need money compensation for, or future plants buying
and compensation for the loss of crops.

Write it all down. Draw diagrams of what was where.

If you think you need new soil plus soil conditioners digging in then
make sure you right it down too.
Get someone elses opinion on that - someone at the allottments
perhaps who's aware of the amount of work that goes into getting soil.

Triplicate all paperwork you give them as they'll lose it the first
time.
If you have trouble contact your MP for assistance.

Best of luck
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Is utterly and absolutely destroyed.

After weeks of work going on nearby without impacting directly on us, the
pipe boring thingy they were putting underneath us got stuck, and to rescue
it, they brought the biggest JCB in the world and ripped up just about every
inch of the plot.

Grinning gibbons standing about smirking and taking the
P1ss while I went ballistic. All our overwintered stuff gone in an instant,
and the soil will be trashed for years. And what do I get from Wessex Water?
"We'll compensate you" Yeah right, how are they going to compensate me for
six years work, and all the work to come? Abstrads.

Steve

Heartbreaking. I sympathise.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/3/08 16:51, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

Is utterly and absolutely destroyed.

After weeks of work going on nearby without impacting directly on us, the
pipe boring thingy they were putting underneath us got stuck, and to rescue
it, they brought the biggest JCB in the world and ripped up just about every
inch of the plot.

Grinning gibbons standing about smirking and taking the
P1ss while I went ballistic. All our overwintered stuff gone in an instant,
and the soil will be trashed for years. And what do I get from Wessex Water?
"We'll compensate you" Yeah right, how are they going to compensate me for
six years work, and all the work to come? Abstrads.

Steve

You hit them with a huge bill for your time wasted, time yet to be spent
putting it right and all the veg you will now have to buy.
What a very, very sad story to read. I'm so sorry for you both.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mogga" wrote after Steve wrote:

[...]

We sympathise with you Steve, not that's any consolation, but we do
understand a bit of what you are feeling having been thrown off our previous
allotment after years of getting the very heavy soil into something like a
good loam and having suffered vandalism on a number of occasions.
Be very careful they haven't dumped subsoil over the topsoil, happened on
our allotments, then there is the compaction caused by the large machinery.

Don't forget to claim "organic" prices for the stuff they trashed and then
there is the trauma and distress caused to you and yours. Screw them for
every penny, it's the only thing they understand.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/3/08 23:03, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

[...]

If he's very lucky he might get that without a fight. Some years ago a
borer was being put through Ray's family's land in Essex. It was one of
those huge things that just barrels away at miles per day. It hit a water
main, causing a lot of damage and the company simply paid up. They had a
sort of contingency fund for that kind of event because they had to keep
going, no matter what. It cost more to stop than to compensate.