Old 20-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Location: London, England
Default My lawn is rubbish... Can anyone tell me why?

Hi, Everyone

I would be most grateful if any of you can offer me some advice. I have a small lawn in SE London that is being a real pain.

My garden has been put together by a previous owner of the house with great care. some landscaping has been done, and there are several interesting plants that grow well including a bamboo plant and a rose of somekind. The latter seems to grow whilst you watch! Sending long tendrils through any and everything including the fence. However, the grass is not so capable.

In short the grass grows in patches and seems to contain different species. Some is fine of blade and others are more cylindrical. To be honest, I don't really mind what kind of grass grows as long as something does so I don't have to put up with a bald and/or weedy garden.

Last May I had to some work that involved chopping up areas of the grass, so I took that opportunity to lay some turf over some of the bald patches and trying to plant seeds in others. Sadly, neither really worked and since then the grass has in many places died or been overrun with weeds.

I have posted few photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25868463@N06/?saved=1

I have recently planted more grass seed in the bald spots and some of it is growing a little albeit very slowly and in other places it's not growing at all.

My main problem is the annoying weed that became so prolific over the winter that when i finally got around to pulling it out, it left huge bald spots and it mainly grew where my failed turf had been planted.

Now, I know nothing of gardening and apart from the measures above and little feed I have done nothing to try and get the lawn in better shape until now.

Another thing I think might be significant is that during my digging up i found that the layer of soil the lawn trys to grow in is very shallow. 2-4 inches in most places, and beneath that is a collection of concrete and builders rubble. Logic tells me that alot of morter and concrete could affect the PH of the soil but I have never tested it.

All I know is it looks bad and it won't respond to my remedial action.

So, please excuse my ignorance, but I could really use some help if anyone has any glimmers of insight.

Many thanks.
Old 20-04-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

http://tinyurl.com/4sre7g

Old 21-04-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hairball" wrote in message

Hi, Everyone

I would be most grateful if any of you can offer me some advice. I have
a small lawn in SE London that is being a real pain.

Do you really want a lawn?

Mary

Old 21-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered User

Location: London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal View Post
Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Hairball" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I don't know if it's drainage or not. The soil doesnt seem waterlogged or dry particularly.

It's a mystery to me and my novice understanding of gardening.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Baal;785678 Wrote:
Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Hairball" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Its a common problem, builders rubbish under a thin layer of soil and
call it a lawn!
First step, stop trying to weed it! use the mower, weeds will tend to go,
while grass won't mind, your grass gave the immpression that it was
growing under trees, or was otherwise shaded?
If you just want grass, use a cheap rye grass seed as it is vigorous and
hard wearing and copes better than the fine grasses with drought and
shade. But I suspect you may in the end have to remove some of the buried
rubbish as it is probebly causing areas to drought although you may get
away with some top dressing.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-04-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 21, 2:59 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Baal;785678 Wrote:
Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Hairball" wrote in message
...-

[...]

I had exactly the same problem in my new build - great big patches of
grass refused to grow . After some digging around I discovered that
turf had been laid down over rubble and a layer of builders sand, it
took me weeks to manually remove it all! They seem to landscape over
the mess!
Old 21-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Location: London, England

LOL..

That's a good point and sometimes I don't think I do, but it's so nice to sit/lay on when the weather is nice.
Old 21-04-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Hairball" wrote in message

Mary Fisher;785775 Wrote:
"Hairball" wrote in message
...-

Hi, Everyone

I would be most grateful if any of you can offer me some advice. I
have
a small lawn in SE London that is being a real pain.-

Do you really want a lawn?

Mary

LOL..

That's a good point and sometimes I don't think I do, but it's so
nice to sit/lay on when the weather is nice.

Not if it has builder's rubble underneath.

Then there are the ants ... and various other insects which live in
grass.
We got rid of all our 'lawns'. You water and feed them to make them
grow and then cut down the growth .... only to provide a habitat for
stinging and biting Things :-(

We planted vegetables and eat and relax on the hard standing, in
safety. Any blade of grass which shoves through the Earth lasts
hardly any time once the hens find it :-)

Mary

Oh Mary..............grass is wonderful. Ants.yes, but a flick of the
finger and it's gone. My garden is half pond, half grass...........well,
green stuff, but I'd never go without it. It's part of the colour of the
garden........sets off the stonework round the pond, and wee patio.
Repent, and lay a lawn!!

No room, we like the vegetables too much.

There are the hens, the veg plots, the fruit cage, the bomb hole with table
and chairs atop, the pond then the bank (with real flowers!).

Suits us :-)))))))

Oh, and the front garden has the caravan, bulbs and rhubarb as well as globe
artichoke and a couple of shrubs.

Mary

Old 22-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered User

Location: London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve[_13_] View Post
On Apr 21, 2:59 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Baal;785678 Wrote:
Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Hairball" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Yes!

That's what it's like. My neighbour's lawn is fine and it's in the same shady spot as mine. possibly slightly worse as they have another house overshadowing their garden.

I think i have to remove some of the rubble if i want to do it right. I know in one section where I layed my wall foundations i might have left a little too little soil and will have to beef it up a bit.

If i were to pull out the lazy builder's detritus. What's the best place to get new soil from? i know they sell bags of it in Wickes, but by the time i have bought enough of them i will be a poor man.

many thanks
Old 23-04-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Pete C" contains these words:

Oh Mary..............grass is wonderful. Ants.yes, but a flick of the
finger
and it's gone. My garden is half pond, half grass...........well, green
stuff, but I'd never go without it. It's part of the colour of the
garden........sets off the stonework round the pond, and wee patio.
Repent,
and lay a lawn!!

Nay, nay, and thrice nay! Lawns are a pain in the proverbial.

Hurrah!

Mary

Old 29-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Registered User

Location: York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
[...]

You really need 4 to 6 inches of good soil for a lawn to do well. If the soil is compacted you will need to aerate as well.
Regular mowing is also important to help thicken up what grass is there.

For shady areas you need fescue grasses rather than ryegrass as these cope much better with shade and drought. Try overseeding with something like Rolawn Minster Pro Lawn Seed.
Helen

http://www.rolawn.co.uk