Old 13-05-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Another spider Q

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
On May 13, 1:35 pm, "BAC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

t...

"Fuschia" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 12 May 2008 21:47:46 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than
my
fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front
of
me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My
pergola
is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but
I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....

I'm sure you don't have any more than anyone else!
Having spiders in your garden means you will have fewer pests.
There is nothing at all you can do to discourage them, so you will
just have to learn to love them.

I agree.

I thought we didn't have any in our car port until spouse did a lot of
sawing of wood. The webs showed up brilliantly when they were covered
in
dust.

And so MANY!

I think it's a privilege.

If the OP disagrees with your assessment, there are spider killers and
deterrents on the market (although I don't know whether they work) from,
e.g.,

http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/acatalog/SPIDERS.html

or

http://www.abcfireandsecurity.co.uk/SpiderRepellent.htm

I feel ill.
This has a similar effect on me as seeing plans to "clean up" areas
like walls (e.g. remove weeds) or to tidy up grassy banks in villages
or roadside verges by planting supermarket car park style shrubs and
with dense decorative mulch. I have seen these justified on
environmental grounds. Products for killing spiders belong with
products for dying your poodle pink.

It takes all sorts ...

Old 13-05-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

To all who replied...............
I have no wish to kill the spiders. I'm happy for them to be in my garden in
as far as they are part of the natural way of things. However, I have a
mild 'fear' of all things creepy crawly that 'suprise' me. Suddenly finding
a spider dangling in front of my eyes hanging on a thread from my head sends
me running around, arms waving madly. Sorry, but that's the way I am. I had
been wondering about an electronic device, similar to those used to keep
cats at bay. However, I will learn to live with the little beasties.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 13-05-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 1:35 pm, "BAC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

. net...

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It takes all sorts ...- Hide quoted text -

Fair enough; your advice was offerred in good faith and without
preaching.
I just like spiders. I was a weird kid.

Old 13-05-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Pete C" wrote in message
To all who replied...............
I have no wish to kill the spiders. I'm happy for them to be in my garden
in as far as they are part of the natural way of things. However, I have
a mild 'fear' of all things creepy crawly that 'suprise' me. Suddenly
finding a spider dangling in front of my eyes hanging on a thread from my
head sends me running around, arms waving madly. Sorry, but that's the way
I am. I had been wondering about an electronic device, similar to those
used to keep cats at bay. However, I will learn to live with the little
beasties.

There are electronic spider repelling devices on the market, but they are
'indoor use only', I believe.

Old 13-05-2008, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 6:43*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
To all who replied...............
I have no wish to kill the spiders. I'm happy for them to be in my garden in
as far as they are part of the natural way of things. However, I *have a
mild 'fear' of all things creepy crawly that 'suprise' me. Suddenly finding
a spider dangling in front of my eyes hanging on a thread from my head sends
me running around, arms waving madly. Sorry, but that's the way I am. I had
been wondering about an electronic device, similar to those used to keep
cats at bay. However, I will learn to live with the little beasties.
--
Pete C
London UK

ok ok; group hug; I just get very protective about spiders. I do
realise theyh give lots of people the willies.

Old 13-05-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 8:34 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On May 13, 6:43 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

To all who replied...............
I have no wish to kill the spiders. I'm happy for them to be in my garden in
as far as they are part of the natural way of things. However, I have a
mild 'fear' of all things creepy crawly that 'suprise' me. Suddenly finding
a spider dangling in front of my eyes hanging on a thread from my head sends
me running around, arms waving madly. Sorry, but that's the way I am. I had
been wondering about an electronic device, similar to those used to keep
cats at bay. However, I will learn to live with the little beasties.
--
Pete C
London UK

ok ok; group hug; I just get very protective about spiders. I do
realise theyh give lots of people the willies.

OK Des, me going in the group hug - how is Ireland Des?

Judith
Old 13-05-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 6:43 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

To all who replied...............
I have no wish to kill the spiders. I'm happy for them to be in my garden in
as far as they are part of the natural way of things. However, I *have a
mild 'fear' of all things creepy crawly that 'suprise' me. Suddenly finding
a spider dangling in front of my eyes hanging on a thread from my head sends
me running around, arms waving madly. Sorry, but that's the way I am. I had
been wondering about an electronic device, similar to those used to keep
cats at bay. However, I will learn to live with the little beasties.
--
Pete C
London UK

ok ok; group hug; I just get very protective about spiders. *I do
realise theyh give lots of people the willies.

OK Des, me going in the group hug - how is Ireland Des?

Baking hot!!!! It is almost 22 or even a sizzlimg 23 centigrade here
these days. It is like hot midsummer here. After a looooooong
coooooooooold april the plants, bees, wasps, pollen, grass,
vegetables, weeds, spiders and cat have all gone ballistic. They have
been waiting to get started for ages.

Judith- Hide quoted text -

Old 13-05-2008, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/08 23:28, in article
, "Des
Higgins" wrote:
snip
Baking hot!!!! It is almost 22 or even a sizzlimg 23 centigrade here
these days. It is like hot midsummer here. After a looooooong
coooooooooold april the plants, bees, wasps, pollen, grass,
vegetables, weeds, spiders and cat have all gone ballistic. They have
been waiting to get started for ages.

Pah! 25 here today!

--
Sacha