Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another spider Q

OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 May 2008 21:47:46 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....

I'm sure you don't have any more than anyone else!
Having spiders in your garden means you will have fewer pests.
There is nothing at all you can do to discourage them, so you will
just have to learn to love them.
Old 13-05-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my
fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of
me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....

I'm sure you don't have any more than anyone else!
Having spiders in your garden means you will have fewer pests.
There is nothing at all you can do to discourage them, so you will
just have to learn to love them.

I agree.

I thought we didn't have any in our car port until spouse did a lot of
sawing of wood. The webs showed up brilliantly when they were covered in
dust.

And so MANY!

I think it's a privilege.

Mary

Old 13-05-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....
--
Pete C
London UK

Just swat away the webs from where you do not like them if they are in
your way. They are harmless and highly beneficial in the garden (eat
lots of insects and get eaten by birds) and I do not know of any way
to deter them other than moving to an apartment without a garden.

Des

Old 13-05-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

You get spiders (and their webs) everywhere there are insects.

Mary

Old 13-05-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

I remember going to a stately home, with large gardens, one September
and it was not until I had walked around the herbaceous borders for
about fifteen minutes thinking "there is something not quite right
here", when I realised what it was.

There was not a single spiders' web across any of the plants,
anywhere. Nor did there seem to be any insects.

I spent another ten minutes walking around before leaving, as it made
me feel so sad that some form of insecticide must have been used to
kill anything that moved on the flowers, and had either killed the
spiders directly or as a result of them having no food.

Some peoples' obsession with the 'tidy garden' ideal does seem to be
so destructive, despite the fact that many chemicals were made illegal
for horticultural use some years ago.

The OP should try and be happy that they still have garden spiders,
and brushing away webs each morning is a small price to pay.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:00:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

I do so agree with you. A garden sterilised of wildlife is a sad,
unreal and ultimately disappointing creation.
I'm not a totally organic gardener (I use glyphosate for instance, and
soap solution on vegetables). But my garden is full of insects and
birds that keep each other in balance, and I wouldn't want it any
other way.
Old 13-05-2008, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....
--
Pete C
London UK

LOL Wimp!!! You should live in this house which is beamed, I am
always using the long hose of the Hoovver to suck them off the beams
complete with the spiders, then I put them on the garden when I empty
it! I have seen spiders here I have'nt seen in England, must take a
pic and post it, it could be a nasty and I pick them up!

Judith
Old 13-05-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

Judith - you're mad :-) You know what they say about a tidy house ...

Mary

Old 13-05-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

[...]

If the OP disagrees with your assessment, there are spider killers and
deterrents on the market (although I don't know whether they work) from,
e.g.,

http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/acatalog/SPIDERS.html

or

http://www.abcfireandsecurity.co.uk/SpiderRepellent.htm

Old 13-05-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 1:35 pm, "BAC" wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

t...

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I feel ill.
This has a similar effect on me as seeing plans to "clean up" areas
like walls (e.g. remove weeds) or to tidy up grassy banks in villages
or roadside verges by planting supermarket car park style shrubs and
with dense decorative mulch. I have seen these justified on
environmental grounds. Products for killing spiders belong with
products for dying your poodle pink.

Des

Old 13-05-2008, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

I feel ill.
This has a similar effect on me as seeing plans to "clean up" areas
like walls (e.g. remove weeds) or to tidy up grassy banks in villages
or roadside verges by planting supermarket car park style shrubs and
with dense decorative mulch. I have seen these justified on
environmental grounds. Products for killing spiders belong with
products for dying your poodle pink.

Des

Same here.

The council workmen often spray herbicides along the margins of our ginnel,
thus depriving us of seeing the beautiful arching grasses which grow from
them.

They never, ever, clean up litter of any kind.

The tarmac surface is in a dangerous state. It hasn't been re-surfaced in
forty odd years.

The ginnel is used daily by children going to school as well as adults who
use it to save a mile long detour.

It's also used by pizza delivery 'staff'. There are bollards at each end,
they keep being torn up or broken to allow the scooters to go through.

So our children and others have to walk along a filthy, broken surfaced,
litter and large items dump.

But there aren't any weeds so that's alright.

Mary

Old 13-05-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 1:18 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
[...]

I know Mary but I do have a thing about being tidy. I tided up my
husband's workshop when he was away. he went crazy as he couldn't find
anything and told me to keep out of there as everything is in
order!!!!!!

Judith
Old 13-05-2008, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/08 12:00, in article
,
" wrote:
snip

[...]

It isn't necessarily an obsession with being tidy. Perhaps the OP has a
genuine fear of spiders. For some people this is crippling, irrational
though it seems to others. My husband can pick most up in his bare hands
while I can't bear to be in the same room as the large ones. We get masses
of those pin bodied ones, which bother me very little but on re-wiring our
house some years ago, the electrician who had been poking around under the
floorboards and who was terrified of spiders, too, told me he'd seen some so
big "they're breeding with lobsters down there". ;-))
OTOH, I do enjoy the dew spangled webs in autumn but I just don't want to
live with their inhabitants! In our house we have what is known to some of
us as "the spider shriek"!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk