Old 24-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Jahboy

Default juncus invasion

hi.
my lovely meadow was invaded by sheep last year
and now taken over by soft rush,,my meadowsweet,valerian,etc almost gone
wondering if anyone has hints on how to reduce the
juncus invasion,,now the sheep have gone.

thanking you...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is no measure of health to be sane in an insane society. -- Krishnamurti
"

Old 25-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Neil Jones

Jahboy wrote:

hi.
my lovely meadow was invaded by sheep last year
and now taken over by soft rush,,my meadowsweet,valerian,etc almost gone
wondering if anyone has hints on how to reduce the
juncus invasion,,now the sheep have gone.

thanking you...

I would suggest cutting it. I don't know what your meadow was like
before. Was it grazed at all?
It is wet obviously. If you leave it alone or better return to previous
management it may recover.

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
Old 25-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Victoria Clare

"Jahboy" wrote in news:3ea86399_3@mk-nntp-
1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

my lovely meadow was invaded by sheep last year
and now taken over by soft rush,,my meadowsweet,valerian,etc almost gone
wondering if anyone has hints on how to reduce the
juncus invasion,,now the sheep have gone.

Are you sure the meadowsweet and valerian are gone for good? It is early
in the year still: you may find it pops back up over the next few months,
or even next year if you return to the 'pre-sheep' regime.

Victoria

Old 26-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Jahboy

ta
well theres still some valerian and meadowsweet left so hopefully by
trimming the soft rush before flowering and making sure the sheep dont get
back in it willl hopefully recover in time , just hopeing it dont just come
to dominate so was wondering if there was any quick way tho i wont go
chemical on it.

.205...

Old 26-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jahboy" contains these words:

ta
well theres still some valerian and meadowsweet left so hopefully by
trimming the soft rush before flowering and making sure the sheep dont get
back in it willl hopefully recover in time , just hopeing it dont just come
to dominate so was wondering if there was any quick way tho i wont go
chemical on it.

Do you mow the meadow at least once a year? If you don't, coarse
invasive grasses(or rushes, in damp ground) will eventually predominate.

Many conserved meadows are deliberately turned over to sheep for part
of the year to make sure their grazing encourages smaller, finer species
to thrive.

Janet.

Juncus nodatus ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 3 21-02-2005 01:07 AM
Juncus 'China Blue' Charles Ponds 0 11-04-2004 06:02 AM
Centipede Invasion! Help! Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 20-06-2003 03:08 PM
juncus repens Mike Waters Plant Science 0 01-05-2003 02:20 AM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 05:32 PM