Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old garden tools

I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

Made me smile, looked familiar as I was watching the Austin Powers movie
this week. :-p
Derek

Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

It is delightful (saved) but I use some of the items.

And Spouse MAKES skeps! They didn't need to be lifted by a stone for the
bees to enter or exit ... he's made several for museums and films.

Mary

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:45:30 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

It is delightful (saved) but I use some of the items.

I'm not surprised you do. Good quality tools will last a long while,
and old, well worn handles feel lovely in the hand. My Dad used to
have a fab hoe, and an equally wonderfully scythe, which are both
still used by my brother - the latter to cut the meadow grass in the
upper part of his very steep garden.

And Spouse MAKES skeps! They didn't need to be lifted by a stone for the
bees to enter or exit ... he's made several for museums and films.

That's a lovely skill. And another word for my vocabulary :-)

Cat(h) (skep, that is)

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 17:27, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

There's a site somewhere - been hunting, can't find it - which sells antique
garden tools and very beautiful they are.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 23:16, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:07:29 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 4/6/08 17:27, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

There's a site somewhere - been hunting, can't find it - which sells antique
garden tools and very beautiful they are.

There's a shop on the site of Helmsley Walled Garden N Yorks that sells
antique
garden tools.

Can't remember, Martin but I'll have a hunt around when I have a bit more
time.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

My Dad used to
have a fab hoe, and an equally wonderfully scythe, which are both
still used by my brother - the latter to cut the meadow grass in the
upper part of his very steep garden.

Spouse would use a sickle in the apiary unless we'd missed a visit and the
grass was too long, then he used a scythe. It's still in the shed but no use
to us in the garden - grass doesn't stand a chance with the chickens around
:-)

There's a sickle in each of our caravans though, they're so useful and can
get into places where grass will grow but few other tools can get.

And Spouse MAKES skeps! They didn't need to be lifted by a stone for the
bees to enter or exit ... he's made several for museums and films.

That's a lovely skill.

It's a very calming thing to watch, the only noise is snipping stray straws,
the movements are small and swaying. He's a quiet man so even when he's
giving demonstrations he doesn't talk unless he's asked questions. I
remember when he first saw someone making one, George Hawthorne is now dead
but he was just as quiet. His movements, though, and the minimal tools he
used, made light dawn in Spouse's mind. Suddenly he understood and wanted to
do it himself.

There aren't many people who do it so the ones who do are in demand. They're
all keen to pass on the craft, if they don't it could die. I think Spouse is
the only one who uses primitive tools though, his fid is a lamb leg bone.
Many use cow horns as a funnel but anything of the right diameter will do,
even a plastic bottle.

Sorry, rambling ... but bees and gardens are closely linked!

Mary

The famous 'Orkney Chair' is made in the same way, and lots of other items.
It's called lipwork.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Cat(h) wrote:

I've just come across this delightful website, which appears to rent
out old garden tools as props.
My personal favourite is the glass cucumber straightener.
Although the berry picker is a dead ringer for those (made of wood and
metal) which we used to go pick wild blueberries (myrtilles) when we
were kids.

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/prophire.aspx

Cat(h)

I do like old tools, but I was horrified at the Malvern show at how many
stalls are now selling old refurbished tools, and how much they were asking
for them. There was an excellent how, with a blade as sharp as any knife,
beautiful handle, but it was £30. Far too much for me ended up buying a
brand new lightweight model for £7.

I have to say the "Finger Shears" made me wince a bit, is that what they use
when the under gardeners aren't pulling their weight ?

Duncan