Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-06-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Hazard

This is a new one on me, just goes to show how dangerous it is out there in
the garden!!

"A man has died after inhaling lethal spores which grew on rotting compost
in his garden.

The 47-year-old fell ill less than 24 hours after being engulfed by "clouds
of dust" while working with rotting tree and plant mulch.
At first medics thought the previously healthy welder had pneumonia when he
was admitted with severe breathing problems.

But when antibiotics failed to help, tests showed evidence of Aspergillosis,
a reaction to Aspergillus spores.

The fungus is commonly found growing on dead leaves, stored grain, compost
piles or decaying vegetation.

Its spores may trigger a relatively harmless allergic reaction or a much
more serious destructive infection that begins in the lungs and spreads to
other parts of the body.

The man's death - which followed kidney failure and treatment on a heart and
lung machine - was reported in The Lancet medical journal.

Doctors, led by Dr David Waghorn from Wycombe Hospital in Buckinghamshire,
wrote: "Unlike most patients with acute, invasive aspergillosis, our patient
did not seem to be immunosuppressed."

Andy

"However, smoking and welding could have damaged his lungs, increasing his
vulnerability.

"Since he died so quickly, we cannot exclude the possibility that he had an
undetected immunodeficiency."

They concluded: "Acute aspergillosis after contact with decayed plant matter
is rare, but may be considered an occupational hazard for gardeners."

Above Ground Container Pond - Water Hazard :/ Daniel Phillips Ponds 28 17-08-2004 09:08 PM
Ducks a liner hazard? tojo Ponds 13 14-03-2004 04:38 AM
sphagnum hazard bb Orchids 30 15-11-2003 07:42 PM
Tiny flies- a hazard for young indoor plants? Joe B. United Kingdom 6 20-06-2003 08:08 AM
mulch fertilizer may pose hazard to dogs TOM KAN PA Gardening 15 05-04-2003 06:44 PM