Old 13-06-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Hazard

This is a new one on me, just goes to show how dangerous it is out there in
the garden!!

"A man has died after inhaling lethal spores which grew on rotting compost
in his garden.

The 47-year-old fell ill less than 24 hours after being engulfed by "clouds
of dust" while working with rotting tree and plant mulch.
At first medics thought the previously healthy welder had pneumonia when he
was admitted with severe breathing problems.

But when antibiotics failed to help, tests showed evidence of Aspergillosis,
a reaction to Aspergillus spores.

The fungus is commonly found growing on dead leaves, stored grain, compost
piles or decaying vegetation.

Its spores may trigger a relatively harmless allergic reaction or a much
more serious destructive infection that begins in the lungs and spreads to
other parts of the body.

The man's death - which followed kidney failure and treatment on a heart and
lung machine - was reported in The Lancet medical journal.

Doctors, led by Dr David Waghorn from Wycombe Hospital in Buckinghamshire,
wrote: "Unlike most patients with acute, invasive aspergillosis, our patient
did not seem to be immunosuppressed."

Andy

"However, smoking and welding could have damaged his lungs, increasing his
vulnerability.

"Since he died so quickly, we cannot exclude the possibility that he had an
undetected immunodeficiency."

They concluded: "Acute aspergillosis after contact with decayed plant matter
is rare, but may be considered an occupational hazard for gardeners."

Old 13-06-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Isleman" Isleman@home writes:
| This is a new one on me, just goes to show how dangerous it is out there in
| the garden!!
|
| "A man has died after inhaling lethal spores which grew on rotting compost
| in his garden.

| But when antibiotics failed to help, tests showed evidence of Aspergillosis,
| a reaction to Aspergillus spores.

Look up "farmer's lung". It occurs only when the compost is too dry,
and the relevant fungi can out-compete bacteria and other (damp
condition) fungi - and can produce dry spores!

It is a good idea not to be careful if woody material appears covered
with dust (especially greyish dust), and dust lifts into the air when
it is disturbed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-06-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes:
| This is a new one on me, just goes to show how dangerous it is out
there in
| the garden!!
|
| "A man has died after inhaling lethal spores which grew on rotting
compost
| in his garden.

| But when antibiotics failed to help, tests showed evidence of
Aspergillosis,
| a reaction to Aspergillus spores.

Look up "farmer's lung". It occurs only when the compost is too dry,
and the relevant fungi can out-compete bacteria and other (damp
condition) fungi - and can produce dry spores!

It is a good idea not to be careful if woody material appears covered
with dust (especially greyish dust), and dust lifts into the air when
it is disturbed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Do you mean the "not", Nick

Pete (;0)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 13-06-2008, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Pete Stockdale" writes:

| It is a good idea not to be careful if woody material appears covered
| with dust (especially greyish dust), and dust lifts into the air when
| it is disturbed.
|
| Do you mean the "not", Nick

Er, mumble, perhaps not :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2008, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Isleman" Isleman@home wrote:

[...]

I saw that headline on somebody else's newspaper on the Metro. At
first I was doubtful as to whether the cause had been correctly
reported, but after reading these details, I am convinced it has been.

This is an acute form of "farmer's lung", well described in the
literature. But usually it is a "chronic" illness, slowly progressing,
causing increasing breathlessness. This acute form is very rare.

A FAR GREATER DANGER is the "Confined space" danger. Living plant
material (eg. grain in silos) OR rotting plant material (the fungi are
living) use up oxygen and give out carbon dioxide (well, we animals do
the same in our breathing) and if there is inadequate ventilation a
person may be suffocated. The warning signs may be mistaken for
breathlessness caused by exertion and loss of conciousness is very
sudden.

It KILLS.

It used to be my trade. Be wary of large amounts of plant material in
unventilated spaces. Good ventilation, a large fan or the wind blowing
THROUGH the space (not just ACROSS the opening) are strong safeguards.

TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Michael Bell

Old 14-06-2008, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Michael Bell writes:

| This is an acute form of "farmer's lung", well described in the
| literature. But usually it is a "chronic" illness, slowly progressing,
| causing increasing breathlessness. This acute form is very rare.

Yes.

| A FAR GREATER DANGER is the "Confined space" danger. Living plant
| material (eg. grain in silos) OR rotting plant material (the fungi are
| living) use up oxygen and give out carbon dioxide (well, we animals do
| the same in our breathing) and if there is inadequate ventilation a
| person may be suffocated. The warning signs may be mistaken for
| breathlessness caused by exertion and loss of conciousness is very
| sudden.
|
| It KILLS.
|
| It used to be my trade. Be wary of large amounts of plant material in
| unventilated spaces. Good ventilation, a large fan or the wind blowing
| THROUGH the space (not just ACROSS the opening) are strong safeguards.
|
| TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Er, maybe. Or maybe not. Yes, in commercial contexts, that is a
serious danger - as can be inflammable dust (such as flour or even
grain residue), which can form an explosive mixture in air. Or,
indeed, organic matter rotting anaerobically (e.g. under water) and
ventilating into an enclosed area - that gives off methane, which
again forms an explosive mixture with air.

However, it is fairly rare for a private (domestic) gardener
to have somewhere that makes those effects important. Almost all
sheds and similar have a massive amount of ventilation relative to
their volume. After all, it is the frequency of air changes that
is the criterion.

The only significant counter-example I can think of is if someone
uses an old air raid shelter, cellar or similar for making compost
or growing mushrooms. Now, THERE, your warning makes a lot of sense.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Michael Bell writes:

| This is an acute form of "farmer's lung", well described in the
| literature. But usually it is a "chronic" illness, slowly progressing,
| causing increasing breathlessness. This acute form is very rare.

Yes.

| A FAR GREATER DANGER is the "Confined space" danger. Living plant
| material (eg. grain in silos) OR rotting plant material (the fungi are
| living) use up oxygen and give out carbon dioxide (well, we animals do
| the same in our breathing) and if there is inadequate ventilation a
| person may be suffocated. The warning signs may be mistaken for
| breathlessness caused by exertion and loss of conciousness is very
| sudden.
|
| It KILLS.
|
| It used to be my trade. Be wary of large amounts of plant material in
| unventilated spaces. Good ventilation, a large fan or the wind blowing
| THROUGH the space (not just ACROSS the opening) are strong safeguards.
|
| TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Er, maybe. Or maybe not. Yes, in commercial contexts, that is a
serious danger - as can be inflammable dust (such as flour or even
grain residue), which can form an explosive mixture in air. Or,
indeed, organic matter rotting anaerobically (e.g. under water) and
ventilating into an enclosed area - that gives off methane, which
again forms an explosive mixture with air.

However, it is fairly rare for a private (domestic) gardener
to have somewhere that makes those effects important. Almost all
sheds and similar have a massive amount of ventilation relative to
their volume. After all, it is the frequency of air changes that
is the criterion.

The only significant counter-example I can think of is if someone
uses an old air raid shelter, cellar or similar for making compost
or growing mushrooms. Now, THERE, your warning makes a lot of sense.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreed

Michael Bell

Above Ground Container Pond - Water Hazard :/ Daniel Phillips Ponds 28 17-08-2004 09:08 PM
Ducks a liner hazard? tojo Ponds 13 14-03-2004 04:38 AM
sphagnum hazard bb Orchids 30 15-11-2003 07:42 PM
Tiny flies- a hazard for young indoor plants? Joe B. United Kingdom 6 20-06-2003 08:08 AM
mulch fertilizer may pose hazard to dogs TOM KAN PA Gardening 15 05-04-2003 06:44 PM