Old 14-06-2008, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone ID

Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
Many thanks
Old 14-06-2008, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/6/08 13:46, in article , "Tony"
wrote:

Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
Many thanks

Ivy, Rhodochiton atrosanguineum, Actinidia kolomikta, Ipomoea learii,
Passiflora lligularis...................

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-06-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article ,
"Tony"
wrote:

Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
Many thanks

Ivy, Rhodochiton atrosanguineum, Actinidia kolomikta, Ipomoea learii,
Passiflora lligularis...................

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild
tweaking
to do!)

Have googled all these , and its not any of them . The one I saw was
very very larged leaves compared to them .and the leaves were a shiney,
rubbery feel and looked just like a heart shape
I know with out any pictures or concrete information it may be hard to ID
Thanks

Old 14-06-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 14, 2:26*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Sacha writes:

| On 14/6/08 13:46, in article , "Tony"| wrote:

| Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
| it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
| would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
| Many thanks
|
| Ivy, Rhodochiton atrosanguineum, Actinidia kolomikta, Ipomoea learii,
| Passiflora lligularis...................

Vitis coignetae ...

Agreed. *No hope without further information. *Size and texture of leaf
would reduce the list by a factor of ten.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

in fact, having heart shaped leaves seems a favourite trick with
climbers; it allows them to tangle with each other and with whatever
they are climbing on.

Old 14-06-2008, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/6/08 17:46, in article , "Tony"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article
,
"Tony"
wrote:

[...]

But if you could tell us where you saw it and whether it was in a garden,
greenhouse, conservatory or living room, it would give us a start!

Old 14-06-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 17:46, in article ,
"Tony"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article
,
"Tony"
wrote:

[...]

It was growing all over a garage at the back of somones house , I had never
seen leafs so large on a climber . Big as a dinner plate

Old 14-06-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tony" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 17:46, in article ,
"Tony"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article
,
"Tony"
wrote:

[...]

Leafs reminded me of a rubber plants leafs with out the cut outs

Old 14-06-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/6/08 17:59, in article , "Tony"
wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 17:46, in article
,
"Tony"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article
,
"Tony"
wrote:

[...]

Rubber plants leaves don't have cut outs. I think you're thinking of the
Swiss cheese plant, Monstera deliciosa. I also think that you may have seen
a Magnolia delavayi growing against a wall. I can't think of a climber with
truly huge leaves outdoors in UK though I'm sure someone else will, if there
is such a thing. There is also Rhododendron macabeanum which has large
leaves but I wouldn't call those heart shaped. I suppose you did see this
plant in UK?

Old 14-06-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 14, 7:07*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 14/6/08 17:59, in article , "Tony"

wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
On 14/6/08 17:46, in article ,
"Tony"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
On 14/6/08 13:46, in article ,
"Tony"
wrote:

[...]

to do!)- Hide quoted text -

I cannot remember the name of it, but there is a scrambling climbing
thing that has heart shaped dinner plate (well maybe side plates :-)
size leaves that grows outdoors in UK. last time I saw it was in
Cambridge University botanic gardens (in Cambridge believe it or
not).

des

Old 14-06-2008, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tony wrote:

Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
Many thanks

Have googled all these , and its not any of them . The one I saw
was very very larged leaves compared to them .and the leaves were
a shiney, rubbery feel and looked just like a heart shape
I know with out any pictures or concrete information it may be
hard to ID
Thanks

It was growing all over a garage at the back of somones house , I had
never seen leafs so large on a climber . Big as a dinner plate

Leafs reminded me of a rubber plants leafs with out the cut outs

Aristolochia macrophylla?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 14-06-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Des Higgins writes:

| I cannot remember the name of it, but there is a scrambling climbing
| thing that has heart shaped dinner plate (well maybe side plates :-)
| size leaves that grows outdoors in UK. last time I saw it was in
| Cambridge University botanic gardens (in Cambridge believe it or
| not).

Well, I grow a climber that has roughly heart shaped leaves up to
about 9"x11" - Vitis coignetae - and I live less than 3 miles from
that botanic garden!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Tony wrote:

Saw a climber , It had very large heart shaped leaves
it wasn't flowering so have no idea what colour they would be .
would like to get one so any help would be appreciated
Many thanks

Have googled all these , and its not any of them . The one I saw
was very very larged leaves compared to them .and the leaves were
a shiney, rubbery feel and looked just like a heart shape
I know with out any pictures or concrete information it may be
hard to ID
Thanks

It was growing all over a garage at the back of somones house , I had
never seen leafs so large on a climber . Big as a dinner plate

Leafs reminded me of a rubber plants leafs with out the cut outs

Aristolochia macrophylla?

You star ! thats the one just googled it and its the same one I saw
thanks to everyone

)

Old 15-06-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 14, 10:56*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Des Higgins writes:

| I cannot remember the name of it, but there is a scrambling climbing
| thing that has heart shaped dinner plate (well maybe side plates :-)
| size leaves that grows outdoors in UK. * last time I saw it was in
| Cambridge University botanic gardens (in Cambridge believe it or
| not).

Well, I grow a climber that has roughly heart shaped leaves up to
about 9"x11" - Vitis coignetae - and I live less than 3 miles from
that botanic garden!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That looks like it alright, after a quick google.

Des