Old 18-06-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot problems

The carrots on the neighbouring allotment to mine are systematically
being wiped out by something or other, first the foliage gradually
goes yellow with a hint of reddy-brown around the edges on some
plants, then the whole lot wilts and collapses. There are a few very
small aphid type bugs on the foliage, but the roots don't show any
signs of anything untoward,any ideas?

Here's a less than brilliant photo if it helps. Half of his row of
carrots hardly got going after germination and are now well gone, but
the previously very healthy other half of the row is about to go the
same way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...A/DSC02038.jpg
Old 18-06-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
The carrots on the neighbouring allotment to mine are systematically
being wiped out by something or other, first the foliage gradually
goes yellow with a hint of reddy-brown around the edges on some
plants, then the whole lot wilts and collapses. There are a few very
small aphid type bugs on the foliage, but the roots don't show any
signs of anything untoward,any ideas?

Here's a less than brilliant photo if it helps. Half of his row of
carrots hardly got going after germination and are now well gone, but
the previously very healthy other half of the row is about to go the
same way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...A/DSC02038.jpg

That's carrot fly although you should be able to see root damage as well. I
think the aphids are a red herring sent in by the carrot fly to put you off
the scent. Best to grow carrots them in a raised compartment about two feet
or more off the ground as the carrot fly is mainly a low level critter; or
cover in fleece. You can see the same damage on parsley and this year my
ground level parsnips appear to have been affected.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 18-06-2008, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 6:32�pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Eeek! Can my carrots be saved before they take hold, or is it too
late, the first ominous signs are starting to appear, any sprays work?
Likewise my parsnips?
LOL at the aphids red herring.

Thank you anyway, not good news!
Old 18-06-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Can't really do much once they're in although it doesn't always mean that
you can't use the carrot, depends how badly it's affected. Another tip is to
sow thinly thus avoiding thinning out seedlings which gives off the carrot
smell which the fly is supposed to be able to detect miles away. Quite how
they arrived at that idea I can't imagine but you get the drift of it, avoid
disturbing the leaves as much as possible.

Old 18-06-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

disturbing the leaves as much as possible.- Hide quoted text -

The trouble started before any thinning took place, the whole row of
carrot seed germinated and came through no problem, but the problem
end didn't grow at the same rate as the rest of the row, adjacent
parsnips and beetroot similarly haven't come on as well like the
carrots, it's only in the last week or two that the slow growing
carrots have developed the aforementioned symptoms and died a death.
The whole plot is inside a walled garden that hasn't been cultivated
in a good 20 years, so I'm wondering how the pests got in.?

Another question just out of curiosity, the flower buds on my early
potatoes dried up before even getting close to being noticeable, any
reason. The quality of the spuds hasn't been affected, maybe it's been
dry here, but all my neighbours pots flowered no problem.

Thanks again

Old 19-06-2008, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

snippped

Eeek! Can my carrots be saved before they take hold, or is it too
late, the first ominous signs are starting to appear, any sprays work?
Likewise my parsnips?
LOL at the aphids red herring.

Thank you anyway, not good news!

A trick that seemed fairly effective in my case, was to cover and mulch
the growing carrots with lawn clipppings. The theroy is that the fly
can't find the crop to lay eggs in under the grass clippings. It did
partly work in my case last year. This year I'm growng them in
containers 2' above ground level, and as a comparison, two rows at
ground level using grass clippings as a mulch.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 19-06-2008, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

wrote:

snippped

Eeek! Can my carrots be saved before they take hold, or is it too
late, the first ominous signs are starting to appear, any sprays work?
Likewise my parsnips?
LOL at the aphids red herring.

Thank you anyway, not good news!

A trick that seemed fairly effective in my case, was to cover and mulch
the growing carrots with lawn clipppings. The theroy is that the fly
can't find the crop to lay eggs in under the grass clippings. It did
partly work in my case last year. This year I'm growng them in
containers 2' above ground level, and as a comparison, two rows at
ground level using grass clippings as a mulch.

Peter

I should have said that there is an interesting site at :

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/carrotrf.htm
that discusses carrot fly, and an equally interesting report at:

http://aenews.wsu.edu
the latter is an American agricultural report, but interesting all the
same. Look for March 2003 report number 203

Peter