Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watercress

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I still don't know if I can eat duckweed :-)

The answer was yes

/\
/||\
|| up there somewhere - or maybe somewhere-else.

I didn't see it up there ...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad ingredient.

Mary

Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I still don't know if I can eat duckweed :-)

The answer was yes

/\
/||\
|| up there somewhere - or maybe somewhere-else.

I didn't see it up there ...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck
soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad
ingredient.

Doesn't sound very appetising ...
see:-

http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_...NAMES=Duckweed

What an interesting site, thank you!

Still might give it a go though, it's not poisonous. The hens eat it
enthusiastically but there's enough for all of us :-)

Mary

Jennifer

Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I still don't know if I can eat duckweed :-)

The answer was yes

/\
/||\
|| up there somewhere - or maybe somewhere-else.

I didn't see it up there ...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad ingredient.

Try washing it and keeping it in fresh water for a few hours, then - er
- adding it to potato salad? Russian salad? Coleslaw? Sandwich spread?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck
soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad
ingredient.

Try washing it and keeping it in fresh water for a few hours, then - er
- adding it to potato salad? Russian salad?

?

Coleslaw? Sandwich spread?

SANDWICH SPREAD?

Blimey!

Mary

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck
soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad
ingredient.

Try washing it and keeping it in fresh water for a few hours, then - er
- adding it to potato salad? Russian salad?

?

Coleslaw? Sandwich spread?

SANDWICH SPREAD?

Blimey!

Well, it may be pungent enough to mask the flavour of duck wee

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck
soupweed.

Oh, that would be a shame. I thought it might make a good salad
ingredient.

Try washing it and keeping it in fresh water for a few hours, then - er
- adding it to potato salad? Russian salad?

?

Coleslaw? Sandwich spread?

SANDWICH SPREAD?

Blimey!

Well, it may be pungent enough to mask the flavour of duck wee

There are no ducks in our pond. Or even on it. They don't fly over it
either.

But sandwich spread? Is it still made? Must be more than half a century
since I had it in sandwiches for club runs, didn't care for it much even
then.

Mary

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

But sandwich spread? Is it still made? Must be more than half a century
since I had it in sandwiches for club runs, didn't care for it much even
then.

It is, by Hines, or someone...

Jars are useful for keeping herbs and spices in if you are so inclined.
(I've got some nice lever-opening jars with rubber seals.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 00:03, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
But sandwich spread? Is it still made? Must be more than half a century
since I had it in sandwiches for club runs, didn't care for it much even
then.

I've not easten it since Dad sold the shop. 25 years ago now. They
still make it but now it has huge amounts of sugar added.

Make a good quality egg mayonaise, and then add Colman's mustard
powder, white pepper, and very finely chopped or coarsely grated
vegetables & fruit, from among the following:
Raddish, Pickled onion or red onion, pickled gherkins, carrot, celery,
Peeled Apple, pears, tinned pineapple (just a hint), watercress stems,
white choccory, raddichio

Mix it all together, and then add some chopped parsley and the leaves
of the wtercress, chopped coarsely. Put in the fridge to let the
flavours mingle overnight, and then you have yer own, no-added-sugar-
or-salt sandwhich spread.

You can also add shredded coss lettuce or fine white cabbage if you
want it more like coleslaw.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bobharvey" wrote in message
[...]

Why would I go to all that bother? Simply amassing all that stuff at pone
time would be impractical buit it doesn't sound bery appetising anyway.

You can also add shredded coss lettuce or fine white cabbage if you
want it more like coleslaw.

I think I'll stick to putting the salad ingredients available on the table,
with a selection of dressings. By the way, ALL the mayonnaise I make is of
excellent quality, and there's no mustard or sugar in it. Doesn't need it
when everything except the oil is fresh and flavoursome. The oil is
flavoursome, by the way, just not freshly pressed. The egg is from our own
hens.

Mary

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM