Old 25-06-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Watercress

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"K" wrote in message

Watercress is a useful way of decreasing the nitrogen level (and hence
blanket weed) in garden ponds - chuck a handful in, wait for it to grow
massivley, then heave most of it out and compost it. Repeat.
--
Kay

Our pond water is very clear despite being full of dead vegetation (we
really must get round to cleaning it out ... ) but the water is clear as
clear, presumably because it's covered in duckweed.

Every day I pull out four large handfuls and line them up for the hens,
who love the weed and the things in it. Of course they all three go to one
of the heaps!

Just wondered - is duckweed edible for humans?

Yes, it is, according to

http://www.herbvideos.com/ewpindex.htm

which includes a soup recipe.

Old 25-06-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

Our pond water is very clear despite being full of dead vegetation (we
really must get round to cleaning it out ... ) but the water is clear as
clear, presumably because it's covered in duckweed.

That reduces the light level in the pond and thus reduces algal growth,
but the fact that you are removing 4 handfuls a day is also removing the
nitrogen involved in growing those four handfuls, thus adding to the
beneficial effects.

Every day I pull out four large handfuls and line them up for the hens, who
love the weed and the things in it. Of course they all three go to one of
the heaps!

Just wondered - is duckweed edible for humans?

Mary

--
Kay
Old 25-06-2008, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 3:57 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Jun 23, 10:49 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:27:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:30 pm, K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

In message , Pam Moore
writes
Is it possible to grow watercress without running water? Has anyone
tried, and if so how can it be done? Pieces of bought watercress
will
root in water, but is there a way of growing them on? I often end
up
wasting the last of a packet.

If I'm not mistaking some other white-flowered crucifer for
water-cress, then some of the localities that I've seen it growing
wild
are standing water rather than running water.

It's not the watercress that is fussy about the water.

It is an intermediate host for liverfluke, and it's thought that it is
less likely to be infected in running water than in still water.

Watercress is a useful way of decreasing the nitrogen level (and hence
blanket weed) in garden ponds - chuck a handful in, wait for it to
grow
massivley, then heave most of it out and compost it. Repeat.
--
Kay

My Edward, not your's Kay, is always on about liverfluke and
watercress and he won't eat it!!!! I do and my liver is fine.

Maybe your Edward read a long Guardian article about liver fluke & water
cress
long ago. I didn't know anybody who read it at the time who ever ate
watercress
again.
--

Martin

Edward is not a Guardian reader, he always read the Times until he got
a bit fed up with the politics and now, when in England, the
Independent and here, he reads a French Newspaper.

If I remember correctly it was something to do with some research that
was being done at IFR that disturbed him and he felt that buying water
cress was unsafe as he didn't know the origin. I presume he would be
quite happy to grow it himself provided there was continually running
water.

Judith

The link with liver fluke was known a very long time ago, I was taught it in
my first year of biology when I was eleven. That's a very long time ago :-)

Mary

I cannot remember biology Mary, probably because I wasn't paying
attention as usual :-)

Judith
Old 28-06-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:30 pm, K wrote:
[...]

:-)

Mary

I cannot remember biology Mary, probably because I wasn't paying
attention as usual :-)

Didn't really do me any good, didn't really do you any harm :-)

Mary

Judith

Old 29-06-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in ...

wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:30 pm, K wrote:
[...]

It didn't do me any harm but the punishment metered out when my school
report was read at home did, I believe I was grounded which is a fate
worse than death :-)

Judith

Old 29-06-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I cannot remember biology Mary, probably because I wasn't paying
attention as usual :-)

Didn't really do me any good, didn't really do you any harm :-)

Mary

Judith

It didn't do me any harm but the punishment metered out when my school
report was read at home did, I believe I was grounded which is a fate
worse than death :-)

So that's what gave you the wanderlust!

Mary

Judith

Old 29-06-2008, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 29, 2:06 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message

I cannot remember biology Mary, probably because I wasn't paying
attention as usual :-)

Didn't really do me any good, didn't really do you any harm :-)

Mary

Judith

It didn't do me any harm but the punishment metered out when my school
report was read at home did, I believe I was grounded which is a fate
worse than death :-)

So that's what gave you the wanderlust!

Mary

Judith

Aah so you have noticed Mary :-) I admit it, I love to travel and I
do but I also love coming home. I am not going wandering again until
September and then to the USA although I will be going to spend a
weekend in Paris with some girlfriends in August and to , visit some
friends in the North of France.

Being grounded is worse than a quick slap which is over and done
with. My daughter will not smack her children ever, I would like to
say they are wonderfully behaved, well the elder is, he is a very good
boy but the 3 year old is a little monster and shouts at her "NO".
Last time he did that I was on the phone to him, I asked her to pass
the phone to him and I told him in my strict Granny voice to behave
and say sorry to Mummy for being rude. He yelled back at me "NO" and
put the 'phone down, monster!!!!

Judith
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered User

I rooted mine in a glass. then planted in a 50/50 sand and compost mix. I keep the base of the pot in around an inch of water and it's thriving. Root's come out all over the place, in water or not. In my experience it's on the same level as growing cress!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 03:31, in article ,
"fedupofsalt" wrote:

I rooted mine in a glass. then planted in a 50/50 sand and compost mix.
I keep the base of the pot in around an inch of water and it's
thriving. Root's come out all over the place, in water or not. In my
experience it's on the same level as growing cress!

Oh! I thought it had to be grown in running water. Obviously not!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Oh! I thought it had to be grown in running water. Obviously not!

I mentioned that several times

/\
/||\

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I still don't know if I can eat duckweed :-)

The answer was yes

/\
/||\
|| up there somewhere - or maybe somewhere-else.

Someone will be along any minute to give you a recipe for duck soupweed.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM