Old 25-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Registered User

Question Do you know this plant?

Please help!

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Do you know this plant?-dscn5375.jpg   Do you know this plant?-dscn5386.jpg   Do you know this plant?-dscn5388.jpg
Old 25-06-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Do you know this plant?

Unless my monitor is badly adjusted, this is Canna 'En Avant' - a
popular hybrid in municipal plantings, though not to be despised
because of that. If you can get virus-free plants (not easy at the
moment), it is a very rewarding variety capable of producing many
vigorous shoots which can flower throughout the summer. A sunny site,
rich soil and lashings of water is the order of the day for these
gaudy plants. They are also well suited to large containers provided
you use a very good quality compost (sorry, but 'peat-free', soil-less
types simply cannot hold onto essential nutrients long enough) and
give regular applications of liquid feed.
Old 25-06-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 8dfe32d3-690e-460d-b40b-
, says...
Unless my monitor is badly adjusted, this is Canna 'En Avant' - a
popular hybrid in municipal plantings, though not to be despised
because of that. If you can get virus-free plants (not easy at the
moment), it is a very rewarding variety capable of producing many
vigorous shoots which can flower throughout the summer. A sunny site,
rich soil and lashings of water is the order of the day for these
gaudy plants. They are also well suited to large containers provided
you use a very good quality compost (sorry, but 'peat-free', soil-less
types simply cannot hold onto essential nutrients long enough) and
give regular applications of liquid feed.

I notice that people are starting to say "Virus free" but how can you
clean up cannas? indeed how can you tell if a canna is infected? I know
the National collection was all but destroyed by virus, I don't have
virus on any of mine (I think!) but have very few and most of the garden
cannas are species which have been seed grown but there are several quite
nice tasteful cultivars which I wouldn't mind getting but not at the risk
of getting a virus infected plant.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 25-06-2008, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
[...]

I don't know about Cannas, but a common means of cleaning up virus
infection (e.g. old double primroses) is tissue culture.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-06-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 1:06*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

[...]

That makes sense!!
Actually telling if you have a particular virus or not can be told in
the lab by checking for virus DNA or RNA (by PCR; polymerase chain
reaction amplification of specific sequences).

Des

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -