Old 26-06-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hand powered mower for rough lawn?

Hi,

I've moved to a place with a lawn of about 20 x 15 feet and another
smaller lawn elsewhere. I think thats too much for my cordless
strimmer to cope with so I'm looking at getting a lawnmower.

I was thinking of picking up a cheap hand powered cylinder mower from
Argos. The lawn is flat but far from immaculate, having a couple of
weeds, bumps and occassional twigs etc in amongst the grass. Would a
hand powered mower be ok for this or are they meant for immaculately
kept lawns?

I've had a hover mower in the past but I like the idea of no power
cables, simplicity etc.

TIA.
Old 26-06-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Abertech wrote:
Hi,

I've moved to a place with a lawn of about 20 x 15 feet and another
smaller lawn elsewhere. I think thats too much for my cordless
strimmer to cope with so I'm looking at getting a lawnmower.

I was thinking of picking up a cheap hand powered cylinder mower from
Argos. The lawn is flat but far from immaculate, having a couple of
weeds, bumps and occassional twigs etc in amongst the grass. Would a
hand powered mower be ok for this or are they meant for immaculately
kept lawns?

I've had a hover mower in the past but I like the idea of no power
cables, simplicity etc.

TIA.

I've used a hand power mower for years on my small lawn (and actually
just replace my old one with the Argos one you're talking about). It
does not cope terribly well with bumps (but I guess it depends what you
call bumps!) or high grass height, especially if it's wet. I don't see
why weeds would be a problem and twigs are a no-no (they get stuck
between the blades). So, maybe if you get rid of twigs and the bumps you
are talking about are not too big and you mow your lawn regularly....

Philippe
Old 26-06-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Abertech wrote:

Hi,

I've moved to a place with a lawn of about 20 x 15 feet and another
smaller lawn elsewhere. I think thats too much for my cordless
strimmer to cope with so I'm looking at getting a lawnmower.

I was thinking of picking up a cheap hand powered cylinder mower from
Argos. The lawn is flat but far from immaculate, having a couple of
weeds, bumps and occassional twigs etc in amongst the grass. Would a
hand powered mower be ok for this or are they meant for immaculately
kept lawns?

I've had a hover mower in the past but I like the idea of no power
cables, simplicity etc.

TIA.

Focus doing a small electric lawn-mower in the Champion range for under
£100 and you can rely on them for replacement blades in years to come.
This is what we have used on a much larger set of lawns with all sorts
of sloping parts. I thought the handle wouldn't stand up to the strain
placed upon it and the plastic chassis while doing sloping parts but it
has behaved extremely well and is still going strong. If your lawns are
flat then the cable shouldn't prove too much of an annoyance -
particularly if you can get someone else to manipulate it while you just
go up and down with the mower :-).

Eddy.
Old 26-06-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Abertech wrote:
[...]

Agree that hand mowers don't like wet grass but twigs - just reverse,
remove twig, carry on. Weeds no problem

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered User

If you want a chordless mower for a small lawn, I would reccommend a battery powered mower. These have in the past been badly under powered and the running time has been far to short.
Bosch have recently brought out two new Rotak mowers which use Lithium ion batteries that are excellent.
I would strongly reccommend these two mowers, they would make much lighter work than a hand powered mower and they can comfortably deal with twigs and uneven ground.
I found a great website, www.turfshop.co.uk, that has some great deals on mowers including the two Li-ion battery powered mowers.

Rough Rough! Dave Hill United Kingdom 25 14-01-2010 09:23 PM
Rough mower engine Geoff Griffiths Lawns 10 26-05-2009 04:10 PM
Teens and Abortion; Hand in Hand?: Is It the Answer? Michael Calwell Ponds 12 20-05-2005 02:00 AM
Identification of rough grass invading lawn nospam United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 03:56 AM
hand powered threshing machine jake brand sci.agriculture 0 21-05-2003 04:32 PM