Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Rough Rough!

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill
Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill

Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried the
lanes yet but will this afternoon. Apparently, the week end is supposed
to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!

Been flaking seriously in Bracing Bunwell Bottom.

Stopped now though, and thaw continues.

--
Rusty
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Jan, 14:57, Rusty Hinge
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill

Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried the
lanes yet but will this afternoon. *Apparently, the week end is supposed
to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!

Been flaking seriously in Bracing Bunwell Bottom.

Stopped now though, and thaw continues.

--
Rusty

Snow since 3pm though it's much smaller flakes now 2 to 3 inches of it
making it our heaviest fall of the winter , and it's not eorcast to
stop till around 6am.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sdayNight2.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...esdayNight.jpg

David Hill
South Wales coast
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On 12 Jan, 14:57, Rusty Hinge
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Is it of the very wet variety that promises to be gone in 24 hours - or
is it of the more substantial, settling-in type?

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2010 23:22, Chris Hogg wrote:

We've had RAIN all day in west Cornwall. Total nearly 0.8 inches, and
temperature this evening about 5.5C. The thaw is well under way and
apart from a few pockets under the hedgerows, the snow's all gone.
Heavy snow further east, though.

We've had more snow today. Our lane is impassable, we've been snowed in
for a week now. Hoping for rain and a thaw tomorrow.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 13-01-2010, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill
Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried

lanes yet but will this afternoon. Apparently, the week end is
supposed to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!
They're not. It's snowing heavily but as the ground is wet, it
might not lie.

We've had RAIN all day in west Cornwall. Total nearly 0.8 inches,
and
temperature this evening about 5.5C. The thaw is well under way and
apart from a few pockets under the hedgerows, the snow's all gone.
Heavy snow further east, though.

Many, many people are stranded on Haldon Hill, part of the A38's Devon
Expressway, just where it divides to go to either Plymouth or Torquay
- very heavy snow there. Nothing but the odd bit of rain here, around
15 minutes' drive away.

I am surprised you are not snowed in, Sacha. I wondered how you were
getting along but couldn't ask because we have been without internet
services (broken cable somewhere in N London) for over 24 hours.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-01-2010, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill

Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried
the lanes yet but will this afternoon. Apparently, the week end is
supposed to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!

Been flaking seriously in Bracing Bunwell Bottom.

What a lovely place name.

Stopped now though, and thaw continues.

It's snowing here in London.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-01-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Our problems here were more ice over snow, as far as the roads were
concerned. But now there's nothing left of the snow though I don't
know what the roads are like. I hope that's the last of it, to be
honest because it's the longest period of cold we've had here in a long
time. At about 2.5C this morning, it feels almost warm!

Brr. it's slightly colder here and is snowing a very fine snow. I
haven't taken the dog out yet and she is getting rather cross but she
will have to wait.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-01-2010, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill
Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried
the lanes yet but will this afternoon. Apparently, the week end is
supposed to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!

Been flaking seriously in Bracing Bunwell Bottom.

What a lovely place name.

Stopped now though, and thaw continues.

It's snowing here in London.

The Bracing bit is descriptive, not part of the name, mind.

We dew hev some foine plearcenearmes in East Angular though - tearke
Foxhole, Saxlingham Nethergate, and tell me, how would you pronounnce
Stiffkey?

--
Rusty
Old 13-01-2010, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

So much for the thaw.
Whilst the temp. is 35f here in costal South Wales, we had no frost
overnight but now the wind is blowing a gale, gusting to over 60mph
and the forcast is for Sleet or Snow for several hours starting in a
couple of hours.
I am spending a happy couple of hours browsing through catalogues
David Hill
Snow has gone from the garden and nursery, though I haven't tried
the lanes yet but will this afternoon. Apparently, the week end is
supposed to get worse, so I just hope 'they' are wrong again!

Been flaking seriously in Bracing Bunwell Bottom.

What a lovely place name.

Stopped now though, and thaw continues.

It's snowing here in London.

The Bracing bit is descriptive, not part of the name, mind.

Yes, I understood that bit.
We dew hev some foine plearcenearmes in East Angular though - tearke
Foxhole, Saxlingham Nethergate, and tell me, how would you pronounnce
Stiffkey?

Ah, I know that. Stewkey. A bit like Wymondham.

--
June Hughes

Old 13-01-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

You have to punch them in the stomach to Wymondham.

How about; Happisburgh or Costessey?

mark

Old 13-01-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

snip
We dew hev some foine plearcenearmes in East Angular though - tearke
Foxhole, Saxlingham Nethergate, and tell me, how would you pronounnce
Stiffkey?

Ah, I know that. Stewkey. A bit like Wymondham.

--

You have to punch them in the stomach to Wymondham.

How about; Happisburgh or Costessey?

mark

Haysborough (thanks to QI) and Cossey - not too far from Wymondham,
where m-in- l lives.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-01-2010, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

No, Stiffkey's near the sea, Wymondham isn't.

Wymondham's more like Costessey...

--
Rusty
Old 13-01-2010, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
On 2010-01-12 12:30:05 +0000, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Costessey Rays!

Oi know the answer to those, 'bor.

--
Rusty
Old 13-01-2010, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , mark
writes

snip
We dew hev some foine plearcenearmes in East Angular though - tearke
Foxhole, Saxlingham Nethergate, and tell me, how would you pronounnce
Stiffkey?

Ah, I know that. Stewkey. A bit like Wymondham.

--

You have to punch them in the stomach to Wymondham.

How about; Happisburgh or Costessey?

mark

Haysborough (thanks to QI) and Cossey - not too far from Wymondham,
where m-in- l lives.

And don't forget Tacolneton.

--
Rusty