Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gooseberry vs caterpillars

On 1 Jul, 19:27, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Goosegogs?

Don't often hear that - where are you?

Mary

Mary,

Orignally Rochdale, but now Exeter, but it could also be from father-
in-law - originally Sheffield but now Taunton.

I'm now offically a southern softy!

Regards

Steve
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I hate using any pesticide but desperate conditions demand desperate
solutions. The sawfly will also attack other plants, Solomon's Seal
and some
ribes.

Not to mention nasturtiums.

Is THAT what they are!

I remember them from my childhood, hadn't made the connection beause I
didn't know anything else then.

I think so - the pattern and colours of the caterpillars seems to say
so. They also have a go at horseradish, if memory serves.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Bilton" wrote in message
On 1 Jul, 19:27, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Goosegogs?

Don't often hear that - where are you?

Mary

Mary,

Orignally Rochdale, but now Exeter, but it could also be from father-
in-law - originally Sheffield but now Taunton.

Ah, it's the Yorkshire connection then. Or northern at least.

I'm now offically a southern softy!

Nobody's perfect ...

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
| T...
|
| No, the ones on nasturtiums are cabbage whites caterpillars
|
| So why don't they look like cabbage white larvae?

"Cabbage white" is used to refer to Pieris brassicae, P. rapae,
either of them (indeterminately) or any Pieris butterfly. The
caterpillars of the first two look very different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I remember them from my childhood, hadn't made the connection beause I
didn't know anything else then.

Mary

No, the ones on nasturtiums are cabbage whites caterpillars

Mottled green and black/brown?

All the cabbage white caterpillars I've seen have been - er -
caterpillar green in hue.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I remember them from my childhood, hadn't made the connection beause I
didn't know anything else then.

Mary

No, the ones on nasturtiums are cabbage whites caterpillars

Mottled green and black/brown?

All the cabbage white caterpillars I've seen have been - er -
caterpillar green in hue.

Same here. The sawfly ones are bluish.

Mary

Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
| k...
|
| Mottled green and black/brown?
|
| All the cabbage white caterpillars I've seen have been - er -
| caterpillar green in hue.
|
| Same here. The sawfly ones are bluish.

That's Pieris rapae. P. brassicae ones are blackish and yellowish.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I remember them from my childhood, hadn't made the connection beause I
didn't know anything else then.

Mary

No, the ones on nasturtiums are cabbage whites caterpillars

Mottled green and black/brown?

All the cabbage white caterpillars I've seen have been - er -
caterpillar green in hue.

The green caterpillars are small white not cabbage white. Though see the
post above about the different species which are all referred to as
cabbage white
--
Kay