Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Morecambe, Lancashire
Default Light spots on courgette leaves

Hi all,
My courgette plants are really coming along in the greenhouse however one or two leaves have small white spots on them, is this anything to worry about? The spots do not seem to go all the way through the leaf and are on the tops. Not all leaves are affected, just a couple.

Ian
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

IanM writes

Hi all,
My courgette plants are really coming along in the greenhouse however
one or two leaves have small white spots on them, is this anything to
worry about? The spots do not seem to go all the way through the leaf
and are on the tops. Not all leaves are affected, just a couple.

If you mean silvery white spots with angled edges (ie not circular) on
the more recent large leaves, then they are the natural leaf markings
and indicate the plant is growing happily.
--
Kay
Old 06-07-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

IanM writes

Hi all,
My courgette plants are really coming along in the greenhouse however
one or two leaves have small white spots on them, is this anything to
worry about? The spots do not seem to go all the way through the leaf
and are on the tops. Not all leaves are affected, just a couple.

If you mean silvery white spots with angled edges (ie not circular) on
the more recent large leaves, then they are the natural leaf markings
and indicate the plant is growing happily.

That's interesting. I'll have to go out and have a closer look at my
plants if it stops raining.

Never having grown courgettes before, I had convinced myself they were
getting mildew. I was wondering how worried I should be - the plants
seem to be healthy enough, and I've got a few small fruit forming.

Is mildew likely? Nothing nearby (runner beans, spuds, peas) has any
sign. I've kept it well watered and the soil has lots of rough organic
matter in it (leaf mould for the impatient). The bed is under a
south/westish facing fence that gets plenty of sun, but shade in the
morning.

Peter
Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Peter Robinson writes
K wrote:

[...]

Mildew is very likely, paradoxically if the soil is on the dry side.
Keeping the plants well watered (though never soggy) will keep mildew at
bay. Mildew will be roundish spots with a dull powdery look, irregularly
scattered over the leaves.
--
Kay

Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered User

Talking

If its a powdery white spot then its a common fungus to cucumber type plants and not fatal. As long as it doesnt get really bad and the leaves fall off. It wont effect the fruit except for the loss of shade from missing leaves. However if it gets worse there are chemical sprays available I however use a milk solution, 9 parts water to 1 part milk and spray the plant. Works a treat . Improving greenhouse ventilation helps prevent recurrences.
Old 15-07-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Peter Robinson writes

Never having grown courgettes before, I had convinced myself they were
getting mildew.

Mildew is very likely, paradoxically if the soil is on the dry side.
Keeping the plants well watered (though never soggy) will keep mildew at
bay. Mildew will be roundish spots with a dull powdery look, irregularly
scattered over the leaves.

Paradoxically, I was quite encouraged by that. Even in the hotter
weather a few weeks ago, I don't think I let the soil dry out - as I
said it's got lots of organic matter in it, and gets some shade low down
(nearby tall spuds, very low north-westish ish facing wall at right
angles to the fence). Plus the fact that the courgettes are underneath
runner beans which I've needed to keep watered anyway.

Then I saw some courgettes on TV (gardener's world) and they look
exactly the same. Having a closer look at the leaves, it does look more
like the colour is integral to the leaves rather than some powder. And
the spots are more irregular than round.

So I think I was worrying over nothing - just didn't know what to
expect never having grown courgettes before.

Peter
Old 15-07-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

methusala wrote:

If its a powdery white spot then its a common fungus to cucumber type
plants and not fatal.

Happily, I don't think it is any more.

As long as it doesnt get really bad and the leaves fall off. It wont
effect the fruit except for the loss of shade from missing leaves. However
if it gets worse there are chemical sprays available I however use a milk
solution, 9 parts water to 1 part milk and spray the plant. Works a treat.

That's good to know - thanks for the tip.

Improving greenhouse ventilation helps prevent recurrences.

These are outside, so ventilation shouldn't be a problem at least.

Regards,

Peter
Old 15-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Peter Robinson writes

Paradoxically, I was quite encouraged by that. Even in the hotter
weather a few weeks ago, I don't think I let the soil dry out - as I
said it's got lots of organic matter in it, and gets some shade low down
(nearby tall spuds, very low north-westish ish facing wall at right
angles to the fence). Plus the fact that the courgettes are underneath
runner beans which I've needed to keep watered anyway.

Then I saw some courgettes on TV (gardener's world) and they look
exactly the same. Having a closer look at the leaves, it does look more
like the colour is integral to the leaves rather than some powder. And
the spots are more irregular than round.

So I think I was worrying over nothing - just didn't know what to
expect never having grown courgettes before.

I worried the first time I grew courgettes - the silvery patches are
very alarming until you realise that there's a pattern to them.
--
Kay
Old 17-07-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Peter Robinson writes

So I think I was worrying over nothing - just didn't know what to
expect never having grown courgettes before.

I worried the first time I grew courgettes - the silvery patches are
very alarming until you realise that there's a pattern to them.

Yes!

Now what about those strange red markings on my borlotti beans? ;-)

Peter