Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Reader/Poster

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.

We all make ourselves similar promises...

I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.

I'll start with leeks.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.
It would have been devastating for my wife, but she died before any were
born.

In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.
I'll start with leeks.

I have grown them in the past, and enjoy them in soups and stir-fries as
an alternative to onions. They were never competition size. ;-)
ISTR that you sow the seeds, then lift and drop the young plants into
dibbed holes in loose soil, water 'em, and wrap them for blanching as
they grow.
I used foam pipe lagging.
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge 2
writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more
than her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age,
her grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are
too heavy for me now.
--
Gordon H

Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

8-)

My neighbour has four, ages from 22 to about 8, and she has done more than
her share. Of course two of them are now at the 'useful' age, her
grandson cleaned our gutters out last year, my wooden ladders are too
heavy for me now.

We got rid of those years ago, aluminium is much lighter than wood, doesn't
rot if left outside and last for ever, seemingly.

Yes, big (ours are all several inches taller than us) grandsons can be very
useful. Even better is when they come round and ask if there are any jobs
they can do? Doesn't happen often but we do try to oblige :-)

Mary
--
Gordon H

Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes
Gordon H wrote:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Oh, never! I enjoy my grandchildren - all 14 of them.

I just don't see enough of the youngest, who thus far has spent half
of his life in Goa...

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Mine range from 26 (this coming weekend) to 2 1/2.

--
AnneJ
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes
Gordon H wrote:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Oh, never! I enjoy my grandchildren - all 14 of them.

I enjoy them but when you've had five of your own, fostered others and then
they start coming again I still say that the novelty wears off. There's
nothing new ...

I just don't see enough of the youngest, who thus far has spent half
of his life in Goa...

Yes, our Welsh one isn't seen much - but we had a 21yr old living with us
for six months and we weren't sorry when we regained our privacy. We deserve
our freedom!

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Mine range from 26 (this coming weekend) to 2 1/2.

We're approaching the ancient state!

Mary

--
AnneJ