Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Return of the Spider

Hello everyone,

Spider here. It's a long time since I posted here - and I see some new
posters - so I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm a particulary hairy female spider living in SE London and gardening on
London clay .. somewhat improved clay .. but still solid and sticky in
places. I am mainly a 'decorative' gardener, but am growing tomatoes and
plums, and hope to plant apple trees in the near future. The Husband
Thingy, Richard, is growing potatoes (2 first early, 1 second early), and
hopes to grow runner beans next year.

We live on a corner plot, so have a wrap-round garden looking South right
round to North-West.

I have two 4 year old cats who are well behaved and cause little or no
damage in the garden. They are trained to be garden friendly. Alas, I
can't seem to train them to eat slugs, but they are otherwise fairly
biddable.

Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 5:47 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Duh Spider I saw your other post to Sacha and commented there, welcome
back, you have been missed.

Judith
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 5:47 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Judith, how very heartwarming to be remembered. I didn't see
your earlier post, but I'll take a look in a moment.

Hope the weather in France is an improvement on our soggy offering. Looks
like there's no sunshine at the weekend, either and I'm going to Hampton
Court Flower Show on Saturday. Typical!

Thanks once again for your lovely post.
Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Thank you, Judith, how very heartwarming to be remembered. I didn't see
your earlier post, but I'll take a look in a moment.

Hope the weather in France is an improvement on our soggy offering. Looks
like there's no sunshine at the weekend, either and I'm going to Hampton
Court Flower Show on Saturday. Typical!

How could we forget you?

Actually, I'd not noticed, as due to the inexcusable incompetence of the
DWP, I was without pension for two years and a bit, and couldn't get any
other assistance as 'I was of pensionable age...'

So, no telephone, no internet. No food, except what I could go out and
shoot or pick, so I was right-royally living on wabbits, pigeons, fat
hen, orache, ground elder, young hogweed shoots, hedgerow salads,
hedgerow fruit, and what I could grow in my rather small plot.

Jerusalem artichokes coming out of my ears thobut, and - well, we won't
go into that, innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome back, O arachnoid one. I have here a memento of you and your
family, no?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0stuff/jke.jpg

Steve

Old 09-07-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 21:42, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Urrrrrrrrrrrrgh! That should come with a health warning!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Steve. How ever did you get a picture of my Aunty Tara? Sadly,
Uncle Antula scuttled off and left her holding the spiderlings.

More seriously, I kept tarantulas for 22 years - 16 spiders at one point -
and this looks like a tree-dwelling type. Very, very quick on its feet.
Thanks for the pic. :~)

For anyone who's interested, I was a neurotic screaming arachnophobe for 20
years, but then had treatment at the Maudsley Hospital in London. Total
cure. Now I love spiders, but this new-found love and confidence meant I
could spend time in the garden. The garden took over until I felt it
necessary to run down my spider collection and revert to an arachnid-free
life, *and* I got my living room back! Just so you know I have a (strange)
sense of humour, I called one of my tarantulas 'Venus', as in 'Fly Trap'.
Anyway, that's a lengthy way of explaining how I came to be called Spider.

Spider

Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

You wouldn't be being beastly to a spider, would you, Sacha? They're the
gardener's best friend.

Spider

Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not quite as bad as you were but I can't say I enjoy their company!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

You weren't a fly in another life, were you? :~O
Spider

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/7/08 12:28, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

You wouldn't be being beastly to a spider, would you, Sacha? They're the
gardener's best friend.

Spider

I'm not quite as bad as you were but I can't say I enjoy their company!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

You weren't a fly in another life, were you? :~O
Spider

No flies on me, chum! ;-)